Raiders' demise started with Tuck Rule

Raiders' demise started with Tuck Rule

There are 15 comments on the ScrippsNews story from Dec 17, 2008, titled Raiders' demise started with Tuck Rule. In it, ScrippsNews reports that:

Submitted by SHNS on Mon, 12/15/2008 - 15:20. Want to know why Oakland Raiders fans want to make like an Iraqi journalist and throw their shoes at Bill Belichick and Tom Brady? Come with me, then, on a magical, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ScrippsNews.

TexasRaider

United States

#1 Dec 18, 2008
I still think it was invented in that game to help the patriots get to the superbowl since it was the same season that 9-11 happened. I'd never seen it called before and I've seen it called twice since then.
Football Historian

Santa Barbara, CA

#2 Dec 18, 2008
TexasRaider wrote:
I still think it was invented in that game to help the patriots get to the superbowl since it was the same season that 9-11 happened. I'd never seen it called before and I've seen it called twice since then.
That "Tuck Rule" might be the moment where the Raiders did indeed take a downhill ride on the rollercoaster. On the other hand, the Patriots demise may have started with Jason Tuck tossing aside the entire New England offensive line like rag dolls as he dominated Tom Brady and the entire Patriot offense all Super Bowl long. The heavy Super Bowl favorites going down in flames as a result. 18-0 as they entered the game and a mere 9-6 since being reduced to dust.
Jason

AOL

#3 Dec 18, 2008
Shit call but the Raiders were destined to go down hill for a long time. With the Crypt Keeper in the front office running the draft and taking who he wanted isntead of listening to the staff it was only a matter of time. The Raiders used to be a proud franchise because of Davis , now they are where they are because of him.
TexasRaider

United States

#4 Dec 18, 2008
Jason wrote:
Shit call but the Raiders were destined to go down hill for a long time. With the Crypt Keeper in the front office running the draft and taking who he wanted isntead of listening to the staff it was only a matter of time. The Raiders used to be a proud franchise because of Davis , now they are where they are because of him.
If Al Davis had just given Jon Gruden the control over the team that he wanted, then I think we'd still be a winning team.
RAIDER MISTERIO

AOL

#5 Dec 18, 2008
true but look at gruden in tampa. anymore superbowls after that? playoffs? or how far did he get in the playoffs? first round? do not get me wrong. i liked gruden. but there seemed to be more to it after the tuck rule thing.(wr) brown was gone rice was gone. moss came in only to play when he wanted to play offense fell apart. whats his name, fat boy 99 did not impress at D. turner did not turn things around. despite RAIDERS being his favorite team. kiffin, was not loyal specially after he did not get his way with having his daddy play for him.rob ryan had good and bad years (not steady) and cable has not exactly shown great wins or games! so, al davis, keeping gruden will always stay as a "what if" but why cry over spilled milk! i would do the same as al davis and cable. it is like this, "either you put out or get out! big al, has put big money for quality players that have not produced. but, he did put big money for the wins that have not come through. now,we go to 09 season with more surprises and hope that we get a (gm) to take more control of the hiring and firing and fixing things that have put the RAIDERS on the losing block of the nfl! big al says, we will be back! the RAIDERS will be back to being the greatest team in the nfl. i gurantee you! he (davis)has tried! and if he has to die trying, he will do that.(i sure hope he doesn't die) but, i love his willingness to never quit! my kind of attitude =)GO RAIDERS!!!
RAIDER MISTERIO

AOL

#6 Dec 18, 2008
one more thing! i'm still with the cable guy! let him put his own RAIDER team together. hey, if he can get rid of hall, and the kiffin loyalist and bench some starters till they get their sh.t together then, cable has my vote for 09. even if he does not return as head coach, i hope he stays as the O line coach. but he has the will to win despite injuries and coaches quitting! go cable, GO RAIDERS!!! NOW, you guys can cuss me out!(LOL) GO RAIDERS!!!
TexasRaider

United States

#7 Dec 19, 2008
That's the problem...Gruden produced and Al Davis didn't appreciate it. Therefore since Gruden wasn't rewarded for his accomplishments, he flat out told the media that he was leaving when his contract was up to hopefully land if FL to be closer to his family and THAT was when Davis gave him what he wanted...Traded to Tampa Bay and Gruden got the last laugh by sinking the Raiders into their own blackhole in superbowl 37.

Now no quality coach wants to work for Al Davis.
Captain Canada

Carberry, Canada

#8 Dec 19, 2008
I can't believe that Walt "I don't really understand how to apply the tuck rule" Coleman, is still an NFL official. Baltimore can't either after Walt "I don't really understand what indisputable visual evidence means" Coleman, reversed a non-first down as well as a non-touchdown against the Steelers. I like the Steelers, but both of these brutal calls led to points that they didn't deserve, and likely cost the Ravens any chance at the post-season. This guy is a clown with a Napolean complex, and Perrera needs to deal with him NOW before he can do any more damage.
Captain Canada

Carberry, Canada

#9 Dec 19, 2008
TexasRaider wrote:
No one else had ever seen it either Tex. Even if they had, it was still a botched call. Both of Brady's hands were on the ball securing it when Woodson stripped him.(Video still available on the net). Brady would later admit to as much. Raiders' ball. Brutal call. Walt Coleman shouldn't be calling a bingo game.
Captain Canada

Carberry, Canada

#10 Dec 19, 2008
Football Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
That "Tuck Rule" might be the moment where the Raiders did indeed take a downhill ride on the rollercoaster. On the other hand, the Patriots demise may have started with Jason Tuck tossing aside the entire New England offensive line like rag dolls as he dominated Tom Brady and the entire Patriot offense all Super Bowl long. The heavy Super Bowl favorites going down in flames as a result. 18-0 as they entered the game and a mere 9-6 since being reduced to dust.
Nicely done. Karma, she can be a bitch!
Jason

AOL

#11 Dec 20, 2008
RAIDER MISTERIO wrote:
one more thing! i'm still with the cable guy! let him put his own RAIDER team together. hey, if he can get rid of hall, and the kiffin loyalist and bench some starters till they get their sh.t together then, cable has my vote for 09. even if he does not return as head coach, i hope he stays as the O line coach. but he has the will to win despite injuries and coaches quitting! go cable, GO RAIDERS!!! NOW, you guys can cuss me out!(LOL) GO RAIDERS!!!
Thats the whole problem. Any coach is going to be coaching the players Davis wants which arent necessarily the players the Raiders need. Thats not going to change as long as Davis is in charge. No caoch is ever going to have the freedom to build his team.
Cowgirls

AOL

#12 Dec 20, 2008
What about the "Choke Rule" when Tampa beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl ( with Gruden...lmao) like the losers they really are.
RAIDER MISTERIO

AOL

#13 Dec 20, 2008
katy tx. "GAY" pdddt-ding!
TexasRaider

Plano, TX

#14 Dec 21, 2008
Cowgirls wrote:
What about the "Choke Rule" when Tampa beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl ( with Gruden...lmao) like the losers they really are.
Gruden was coaching TB that year and knew every move the Raiders were gonna make...I heard that he was playing QB for TB's scout teams and showed the defense every move Gannon would make and everywhere he would throw.
Lame Raiders

AOL

#15 Dec 21, 2008
OK, explains the 48-21 wooping. Nice excuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lonie Paxton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shooter Now: Ex-Gopher Eric Decker goes hunting... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Strugglefarts 17
News Denver Broncos Draft Big Board 1.0 (Feb '10) Feb '10 JordanDeverill 1
News Numbers don't lie: 5-0 a Super sign (Oct '09) Oct '09 Spy Cameras 2
lonie (Jan '07) Dec '08 Darlene 6
uh oh (Nov '07) Nov '07 mike 1
News Patriots have much to keep them busy (Nov '07) Nov '07 rarrr 1
Lonie website (Mar '06) Jan '07 libby 3
More from around the web