DISCUSSION: Should UCLA football ditch 'over-the-wall-day' trad...

There are 10 comments on the Dec 16, 2009, LA Daily News story titled DISCUSSION: Should UCLA football ditch 'over-the-wall-day' trad.... In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Tuesday afternoon at Spaulding Field in Westwood started off as any other UCLA football practice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Ethan

Greenville, SC

#1 Dec 16, 2009
This is way too funny. Anyone who is anyone received their invitation to a bowl a week ago last Sunday everyone except for ucla. The bruins are like that kid on the playground that never get's picked for a team or gets picked DEAD LAST. Is that what ucla has become, scrapping the bottom of the barrel. ucla is irrelevant in college football on the National stage & in Los Angeles. All this coming from the same ucla team that took out an ad in the newspaper claiming that the Monopoly of College Football in Los Angeles was over. Lets just say Pete Carroll & the Trojans decide when its over. ucla is just fa smelly fart at best in college football. ucla is just plain PATHETIC & a bigger joke than that of obama winning the nobel peace prize. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOSERS !!!!
This Just In

Arcadia, CA

#2 Dec 16, 2009
Ethan is a troll!
College Sports Fan

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#3 Dec 16, 2009
This is no time for a public school like ucla to even attempt to compete at the Division 1 level. Not with all the budget cuts that the uc's and csu's are facing now. They simply cannot afford to pay for legitimate coaches like USC and Notre Dame and some of the other elite schools. Nor can they afford to recruit players at the same level as the elite schools. It takes money to travel around the country evaluating and talking to potential players. That money should instead go to the students to make up for the budget cuts. How can public schools continue to spend on sports while students are protesting on cumpus about cuts in services and increases in fees. And don't suggest reducing the sports budgets or schools like ucla will be out-recruited by the elite schools even worse than they already are. They should try competing at the D-2, D-3, or NAIA level instead where the field is more level for them.
wstwdchief

Marina Del Rey, CA

#5 Dec 17, 2009
Discussion? Why are these 2 yahoos wasting time, space and bandwidth on a subject that clearly doesn't require one? I'm sure both of these 2 "writers" have much more important issues to discuss. It isn't as if neither of them didn't know about the Tradition. Clearly the have little else to occupy themselves with. It's a shame the feel the need to waste resources on such a trivial topic. You're both idiots for participating.
old school trojan

United States

#7 Dec 18, 2009
the only chance to get better is to PRACTICE against the best competition. While ucla is going over the wall their oppenent is getting better. I always root for the pac ten teams in non-con games and bowl games but i kind of hope ucla gets their clock cleaned so that they realize that they should take any and every chance to get better. forget calling it the wall, call it what it is, THE LAZY
Ethan

Greenville, SC

#8 Dec 18, 2009
Does is matter? ucla is irrelevant in college football on the national level & in Los Angeles. They are a stinky fart at best. enough said move on

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#9 Dec 18, 2009
College Sports Fan wrote:
This is no time for a public school like ucla to even attempt to compete at the Division 1 level. Not with all the budget cuts that the uc's and csu's are facing now. They simply cannot afford to pay for legitimate coaches like USC and Notre Dame and some of the other elite schools. Nor can they afford to recruit players at the same level as the elite schools. It takes money to travel around the country evaluating and talking to potential players. That money should instead go to the students to make up for the budget cuts. How can public schools continue to spend on sports while students are protesting on cumpus about cuts in services and increases in fees. And don't suggest reducing the sports budgets or schools like ucla will be out-recruited by the elite schools even worse than they already are. They should try competing at the D-2, D-3, or NAIA level instead where the field is more level for them.
FYI at UCLA and I'm sure all UCs, athletic programs are not funded by the state's budget, but rather thru season ticket sales, fund raising, donations by alumni, private donors, corporations (Adidas) and television revenue and many other avenues. So you're wrong, UCLA can and is competing on a national level with any other school, and are slowly closing the gap recruiting wise with USC and other top programs.

Continue the tradition of "over-the-wall" we the real Bruin fans wouldn't have any other way.

Go Bruins!!

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#10 Dec 18, 2009
old school trojan wrote:
the only chance to get better is to PRACTICE against the best competition. While ucla is going over the wall their oppenent is getting better. I always root for the pac ten teams in non-con games and bowl games but i kind of hope ucla gets their clock cleaned so that they realize that they should take any and every chance to get better. forget calling it the wall, call it what it is, THE LAZY
hey nice season ther Sparky, when do your boys play again so I can watch them lose # 5 for the season?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#11 Dec 18, 2009
Ethan wrote:
Does is matter? ucla is irrelevant in college football on the national level & in Los Angeles. They are a stinky fart at best. enough said move on
What the hell do you know, South Carolinian?...don't confuse the USC in L.A. and your 'coks.
This Just In

Arcadia, CA

#12 Dec 18, 2009
Ethan wrote:
Ethan is a troll!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Paulsen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Biggest Question Marks Surrounding the Reds... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Walez 1
News Looking deep into Robert Griffin III's knee injury (Jan '13) Jan '13 Jason 2
News Washington Redskins Bring in Some "Chaos", Resi... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Theismann 2
News Like last year, UCLA must win two of final thre... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Brew In 13
News Bruins trying to find a rhythm (Sep '10) Sep '10 Chosen Traveler 1
News UCLA offense looking to find its rhythm (Sep '10) Sep '10 Kornblum 1
News UCLA offense looking to find its rhythm (Sep '10) Sep '10 West Valley Dave ... 1
More from around the web