NFL star gets 30 days for killing pedestrian while driving drunk

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida, a punishment made possible by his cooperation with investigators and the fervent wish by the victim's family to put the matter behind them.
Comments
1 - 20 of 47 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Another thug.

“armed, cute and smart (alec)”

Since: Jul 08

Newport News/Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

unbelievably light sentence but that's because of the victim's family. And before people start crying about how Vick got more time and didn't kill anyone--

Manslaughter: the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought

Torturing, electrocuting, drowning dogs required both malice and forethought
Mr E

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Was the victim's family really satisfied with a 30 day jail sentence, or do they just not want to endure a lengthy trial process? Even though it was an unintentional act, 30 days for killing someone with a motor vehicle that you operated while willingly impaired seems like a ridiculously light punishment. How can drunk driving ever be taken seriously when the consequences, for some, are so meager? Now, it will be interesting to see what kind of punishment is meted out to the individual who killed Nick Adenhart, the Angels' pitcher, and those other two victims in CA.
Eezyduzit

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

I'm absolutely speechless!
Regular Guy

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

I guess that it's possible to buy your way out of jail. I thought the law was the law, regardless of what the victims family wanted. The state should pursue this and throw his blank tail in jail. A state law was broken.
Lets be fair

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

What a joke!

“armed, cute and smart (alec)”

Since: Jul 08

Newport News/Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Mr E wrote:
Was the victim's family really satisfied with a 30 day jail sentence, or do they just not want to endure a lengthy trial process? Even though it was an unintentional act, 30 days for killing someone with a motor vehicle that you operated while willingly impaired seems like a ridiculously light punishment. How can drunk driving ever be taken seriously when the consequences, for some, are so meager? Now, it will be interesting to see what kind of punishment is meted out to the individual who killed Nick Adenhart, the Angels' pitcher, and those other two victims in CA.
I don't know the answer to your first question, but I'm assuming they didn't want to endure a trial. And I am 100% in agreement about the sentence. It's jaw dropping to think he's only going to spend a month in jail

Since: Jan 08

Newport News

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

BAD football player!! Here's your slap on the wrist.....
real

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Apparently there is a price for the death of a loved one. $$$$.
Living

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Mr E wrote:
The driver who killed Nick Adenhart took off (and he had run a red light and killed 2 other people), so I'm sure they won't be as lenient - and they shouldn't be. 30 days does sound pretty light - but Reyes wasn't in a crosswalk. If Stallworth hadn't been drinking, he might not have been charged with anything.
money

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

The article says: "The athlete also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of the 59-year-old construction worker." In other words the family sold out the value of their family member's life for some quick cash. If the construction worker killed the pro athlete, how much do you think he would have to pay the NFL and the player's family to stay out of jail?
Mr E

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

I did forget to mention in my post, Living, that the victim was not in a crosswalk; however, I still think the pedestrian should get the benefit of the doubt against 3,000 lb. of steel that is operated by someone who is impaired by alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant, and it will impair your reflexes and ability to react quickly.
Racheal

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

You have got to be kidding me!!!! 30 days for killing someone? He is the one who decided to drive drunk. What a dumb ass. He should have been charged with murder and been sentenced to 30 years...... not 30 days. What goes around comes around. I feel sorry for the vitims family. Its a shame he fets off just because he plays football..... what is this world coming to??
Joe Dirt

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Vick gets 2 years and lost everything for funding dogfighting and this POS kills a human, a husband, a father, a son and get 30 days. WTF!!
Will

Annandale, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

At first I thought the sentence was light, but after reading it in it's entirety, I just see it as a temporary reprieve. I doubt a regular person could be on house arrest for two years and have a lifetime drivers license suspension and not violate those terms. There is no doubt in my mind that a Football player that makes millions of dollars a year will eventually screw up. It might be a quick trip to 7-11, but he will drive sometime in the near future and he will more than likely get caught.
really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Living wrote:
<quoted text>
If Stallworth hadn't been drinking, he might not have been charged with anything.
this is very true. Drivers must have the reasonable assumption that pedestrians are not going to walk out in front of them while driving. It's sad for the victim's family but crossing the street the proper way may have saved this man's life
Hurricane Pride

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

Joe Dirt wrote:
Vick gets 2 years and lost everything for funding dogfighting and this POS kills a human, a husband, a father, a son and get 30 days.****!!
I know right...I was thinking the same thing!
cooneyes

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

357 Gal wrote:
unbelievably light sentence but that's because of the victim's family. And before people start crying about how Vick got more time and didn't kill anyone--
Manslaughter: the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought
Torturing, electrocuting, drowning dogs required both malice and forethought
Hmmmmmm... Nobody forced him to drink. Nobody forced him to drive. These decisions were made by only him. A decision takes thought regardless of how little you think before you decide.
Downtown Hpt

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

apparently the victim's family was satisfied with the financial settlement.
Walther

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

The world has gone insane. 30 days for killing a human being? Even if drunk and driving, that is ridiculous. Oh hold on Joe Dirt,,,Vick got 2 years for bashing dogs heads in, drowning poor defenseless animals - NOT for funding dogfighting - get it right dip__sh_it. Now,,back to this travesty. This scum deserves to go to jail for at least 10 years. I just don't get it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••