Steelers officially cut Larry Foote

Steelers officially cut Larry Foote

There are 13 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from May 4, 2009, titled Steelers officially cut Larry Foote. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers released starting inside linebacker Larry Foote today, a move expected since Foote asked to be traded or cut.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

#1 May 5, 2009
For the first time in a long time, I can safely say i agree with ESPN.

With Foote now on the market, he makes perfect sense for 2 NFC North franchises.

The Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions.

Detroit is in desperate need of a MLB. Dizon? Seriously? I don't think so.

In GB, his experience in the 3-4 makes him very valuable. Yes, I understand they have Hawk and Barnett. But whose to say a strong rotation is a deterrent?

Remembering that GB's DEF spent a lot of time on the field last season(due to their lack of execution on 3rd downs) so often.

The only issue is that Foote wants to start. In GB, that doesn't seem realistic.

Since: Apr 08

Omaha, NE

#2 May 5, 2009
He's a great tackler. You will instantly upgrade your run defense by adding him. However, you'll be liable in your pass defense as far as tight ends. He can cover half backs out of the backfield, he's like a hawk in that regard, but don't put him up against a Tony Gonzalez or Heath Miller. You'd better bring in a FS or SS to cover a TE if you want to be successful against the short to intermediate pass.

b1...He's a good backer, no doubt. But there's a reason why he wanted a release. He wants to be an every down backer. And the Steelers couldn't afford to let a TE slip out for a 5-20 yd gain.

In any sense, if you're a Green Bay Packer fan, adding him would improve your run defense greatly. Liability in pass coverage over the middle? Yes. But who else do you have that can do what he can do? As you said, Hawk and Barnett. Hawk might be equal to him, but only because he can cover the pass. In run defense only, Foote beats out Hawk hands down. And Barnett...no comparison. Experience means a lot...and Foote has a lot. You guys would be wise to pick him up for a 1-2 million dollar contract for the next 3-4 years, imho.

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

#3 May 5, 2009
Initially, it would make sense for GB. I am a Viking fan tho BTW. Adding Foote would obviously be a deterrent to my boy Adrian Peterson, but I am also an all around fan of the NFC North. I love competition. I personally believe it brings out the best of the best so to speak.

I live in WI tho, and I know how Ted Thompson works.

The fact that Foote is not one of "Ted's guys," he wouldn't start. TT is all about gettin him some of his ego. Year by year, GB fans have noticed that hes slowly depleting all of the players that he, himself did NOT draft.

There was even rumor of them sending Donald Driver off. He's still very productive. I understand his age, however that can be misleading. When Driver entered the league, he was on the other side of 25.

But thats neither here nor there. Point is Thompson would be very hesitant to bring him in. The only way I see that happening, is if Dom Capers makes a HUGE push for him.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

East Butler, PA

#4 May 5, 2009
my guess is Foote will go to detroit and retire there. He grew up in detroit and wants to play there.

Omaha, NE

#5 May 6, 2009
Best of luck to him. I don't think Timmons can give the same consistency in our defense, but he will provide an explosive element. Larry Foote, thank you for the many years you gave us. On behalf of the Steeler nation...We wish you well.
Qball

Middle River, MD

#6 May 6, 2009
Lions sign LB Larry Foote to a one-year deal.

The Detroit Lions announced today that they have signed free agent LB Larry Foote to a one-year deal. Additional contract terms were not disclosed.

Foote (6-1, 239) comes to Detroit after spending his first seven NFL seasons in Pittsburgh, including the past five as a starting inside linebacker. His best season came in 2005 when he led the Steelers with a career-high 123 tackles (96 solo) en route to winning Super Bowl XL at Ford Field in Detroit.

He got to go home ...
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#7 May 6, 2009
Qball wrote:
Lions sign LB Larry Foote to a one-year deal.
The Detroit Lions announced today that they have signed free agent LB Larry Foote to a one-year deal. Additional contract terms were not disclosed.
Foote (6-1, 239) comes to Detroit after spending his first seven NFL seasons in Pittsburgh, including the past five as a starting inside linebacker. His best season came in 2005 when he led the Steelers with a career-high 123 tackles (96 solo) en route to winning Super Bowl XL at Ford Field in Detroit.
He got to go home ...
And Detroit gets somebody who actually asked to be there. Things are looking up for the silver and blue, I'd say.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#8 May 6, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
And Detroit gets somebody who actually asked to be there. Things are looking up for the silver and blue, I'd say.
I'll always think of detroit as the bone headed franchise that 1, couldn't win a playoff game with the greatest RB to ever carry the ball and 2, let that same RB walk away from the game...no trade...nothing...just let him walk away. a bad day for football fans that's for sure.

Omaha, NE

#9 May 12, 2009
Easy, Bob. While I agree with you, this is an entirely different franchise than the one when Sanders was playing. Consider it as different from the 2007 Atlanta Falcons as the 2008 Atlanta Falcons. I agree tho. It makes the blood boil. If only Sanders were a Steeler. The Championships that could have happened. Ah well. He's a hall of famer...he doesn't need our help. Would have been nice to see him play for a franchise worth playing for tho.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#10 May 13, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
Easy, Bob. While I agree with you, this is an entirely different franchise than the one when Sanders was playing. Consider it as different from the 2007 Atlanta Falcons as the 2008 Atlanta Falcons. I agree tho. It makes the blood boil. If only Sanders were a Steeler. The Championships that could have happened. Ah well. He's a hall of famer...he doesn't need our help. Would have been nice to see him play for a franchise worth playing for tho.
Could you imagine Sanders and Barry Foster as you're RBs? jeeeez.

Omaha, NE

#11 May 15, 2009
If fantasy were our game...we'd be amazing. unfortunately, we have to deal with these unfortunate problems. I'm going to bed. My sister says that we are full of shit (she's a Patriots fan). and thinks we need to calm down in the offseason. Not going to happen. End game.

“Steelers Forever”

Since: Dec 07

Cranberry Township PA

#12 May 15, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
If fantasy were our game...we'd be amazing. unfortunately, we have to deal with these unfortunate problems. I'm going to bed. My sister says that we are full of shit (she's a Patriots fan). and thinks we need to calm down in the offseason. Not going to happen. End game.
Sounds like your sis needs to go to bed. LOL!

STEELERS ROCK !!!

Omaha, NE

#13 May 16, 2009
She's just a Brady fanatic. She was before the 08 season. After that, she took MC with a grain of salt. She knows her football. She grew up with 5 brothers. She lives in Bangor Maine...so its tough to get her off that mold.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Larry Foote Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On the Steelers: Offseason weights await rookie... (Jan '14) Jan '14 slickwillie 1
News Tomlin: Steelers were 'explosive play or two' a... (Sep '13) Sep '13 go stillers 6
News Cleveland Browns hope Pittsburgh Steelers rooki... (Aug '13) Aug '13 losthere 2
News 12 Players Who Could Be in Play for Pittsburgh ... (Mar '13) Apr '13 deaner_pa 2
News Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft: Full 7-Round Pr... (Dec '12) Jan '13 wondering 2
News Mike Tomlin, Recidivist Late-Game Decision Maki... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Jpsteeler 1
News Juicy matchup in Steel City (Oct '11) Oct '11 Matchfarts 2
More from around the web