Kurt Warner will have plenty of optio...

Kurt Warner will have plenty of options, but will Chicago Bears...

There are 57 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 26, 2009, titled Kurt Warner will have plenty of options, but will Chicago Bears.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner and his agent plan to listen. Will the Bears be ready to talk? Following Sunday's Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa, Warner becomes a free agent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Aztlan

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jan 26, 2009
warner is only good in warm weather because he wears gloves on his throwing hand because his hands are too small to grip the ball...he stunk it up in NY because he cant handle the cold not to mention the pressure, signing him would be a big mistake...I'm no orton fan anymore but at least warner wouldnt have to learn yet another system that orton already knows...I think we should take a QB in the draft and throw him in there and let him develop and tank the 09 season OR make a serious ran at McNabb as the short term solution
chief nokahoma

Springfield, IL

#2 Jan 26, 2009
fred- are u and morrissey repeating each others columns now??

come up with something original!

Since: Dec 08

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Jan 26, 2009
Aztlan wrote:
warner is only good in warm weather because he wears gloves on his throwing hand because his hands are too small to grip the ball...he stunk it up in NY because he cant handle the cold not to mention the pressure, signing him would be a big mistake...I'm no orton fan anymore but at least warner wouldnt have to learn yet another system that orton already knows...I think we should take a QB in the draft and throw him in there and let him develop and tank the 09 season OR make a serious ran at McNabb as the short term solution
Going for Warner provides no long term solution. Agreed.

Stick with Kyle till something better pops up.

McNabb ??? not really sure. is he a winner or not? that would be my only question.
The rifleman

Midlothian, VA

#4 Jan 27, 2009
Please don't sign another past his prime QB
Da Bearss

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2009
"Steller season"? Are you kidding me? Warner has had a decent playoff run, but if the Cards were in any other division that the NFC Worst, they never would've made the playoffs and Warner would be just another washed up QB. For the love of GOD, don't sign this has-been.
ldc

Champaign, IL

#6 Jan 27, 2009
See what Orton can do this season, but back him up with Leftwich or Carr.

Then if that doesn't work, get McNabb without using a draft pick after the Eagles let him go after next season.
Coach Killer

Lake Zurich, IL

#7 Jan 27, 2009
Bringing Warner to bad weather with no wide receivers to throw to makes no sense at all. He's a nice Super Bowl story this year, and if the Cardinals win he'll have written his ticket to Canton, but he is not the answer to the Bears QB riddle.
Warner, like most QB's, needs a nice system around him to succeed. He will not have that here and when you throw in his terrible history of playing in the cold you would be looking at a disaster.
SAH

Bradenton, FL

#8 Jan 27, 2009
Fred, you should have reminded Warner's agent that he had his chance in New York like Rex had his chance in Chicago. Except that the Bears got to the Super Bowl with Rex as their QB, and the Giants did not with Warner.

Now, why would we want to sign Warner to a big contract when we've had a much younger 2nd stringer that has proven he can win play-off games and NFC Championship games with receivers not near the quality of Fitzgerald and Boldin? And has McNabb ever done more than that? Has Romo ever just won a play-off game?

The answer to that question is simple, the reason we should sign Warner is Orton isn't capable of doing what Warner has proven he is capable of doing and what Rex accomplished for the Bears before they threw him under the bus.

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#9 Jan 27, 2009
I love Gale and he was one of my favorite Bears of all time, but his time as AD at SIU was mediocre at best. How does that constitute HOF status.
Ahzroc

Tomah, WI

#10 Jan 27, 2009
Da Bearss wrote:
"Steller season"? Are you kidding me? Warner has had a decent playoff run, but if the Cards were in any other division that the NFC Worst, they never would've made the playoffs and Warner would be just another washed up QB. For the love of GOD, don't sign this has-been.
Stellar IS accurate, maybe not enough!
Warner is 3rd in the NFL in passing.
2008 Arizona 16-16 598-401 4,583 .671 30 14 79 26-182 96.9

Ok, I say again:
I am a Bear fan...
My #1 fav QB is Drew Brees...
but
I do NOT understand why so many do not see how excellent Warner has been.
Really, why are people so down on him?
Is it that he is Christian?
How is he washed up?
4,583 Yards? 67.1% 96.9 rating?
He's always been good, usually GREAT.
deputydawg

Nashville, TN

#11 Jan 27, 2009
Aztlan wrote:
Number one you never just tank a season there are fans who paid good money and deserve a competitive product #2 Hanie is a developmental QB and Orton has on his second full season under his belt,#3 there are only old or damaged goods in free agency, lets give Orton and Hanie more playmakers the see the are no franchise QB's in college until Bradford and Tebow come out and I just don't believe Tebow is a NFL QB. He already has one strike against him he is a Florida QB.
deputydawg

Nashville, TN

#12 Jan 27, 2009
SAH wrote:
Fred, you should have reminded Warner's agent that he had his chance in New York like Rex had his chance in Chicago. Except that the Bears got to the Super Bowl with Rex as their QB, and the Giants did not with Warner.
Now, why would we want to sign Warner to a big contract when we've had a much younger 2nd stringer that has proven he can win play-off games and NFC Championship games with receivers not near the quality of Fitzgerald and Boldin? And has McNabb ever done more than that? Has Romo ever just won a play-off game?
The answer to that question is simple, the reason we should sign Warner is Orton isn't capable of doing what Warner has proven he is capable of doing and what Rex accomplished for the Bears before they threw him under the bus.
Rex doesn't belong in the NFL and the Bears didn't throw Wrecks under a bus he did it himself. That Super Bowl was luck and a at the time very good defense that caught lightning in a bottle. If you will remember all the miracle wins Grossman was not the reason it was despite of.
Dennis Gentry

Portland, OR

#13 Jan 27, 2009
This would be a complete disaster, the exact opposite of what the Bears need. Spend free-agent money on a right tackle, a free safety, a wide receiver or even a cornerback. I wouldn't say Warner's season has been a fluke because he's clearly still an accurate thrower and (maybe because he's 37) has an uncanny ability to read very good defenses and pick the right option, but none of the Bears' wide receivers would even be #3 on the depth chart in Arizona.

Sure, it's not guaranteed that Orton won't be terrible next year, but it's much better to find that out during the '09 season and then go after someone else in the next draft. With Warner, the Bears would be back to looking for a quarterback in two years anyway. This type of experiment didn't work for the Jets (can you imagine if Favre had Boldin and Fitzgerald?) and it won't work for the Bears.
deputydawg

Nashville, TN

#14 Jan 27, 2009
Ahzroc wrote:
<quoted text>
Stellar IS accurate, maybe not enough!
Warner is 3rd in the NFL in passing.
2008 Arizona 16-16 598-401 4,583 .671 30 14 79 26-182 96.9
Ok, I say again:
I am a Bear fan...
My #1 fav QB is Drew Brees...
but
I do NOT understand why so many do not see how excellent Warner has been.
Really, why are people so down on him?
Is it that he is Christian?
How is he washed up?
4,583 Yards? 67.1% 96.9 rating?
He's always been good, usually GREAT.
Remember NewYork and remember St. Louis Rams Warner is a warm weather indoor QB and a very good one but Chicago would not be a good spot for him to end his career on a bad note. And using the question is it because he is a Christian is play ordinary ignorant and make rasonable believers seem dumb when a stupid statement is made and attached to all Christians.
deputydawg

Nashville, TN

#15 Jan 27, 2009
Dennis Gentry wrote:
This would be a complete disaster, the exact opposite of what the Bears need. Spend free-agent money on a right tackle, a free safety, a wide receiver or even a cornerback. I wouldn't say Warner's season has been a fluke because he's clearly still an accurate thrower and (maybe because he's 37) has an uncanny ability to read very good defenses and pick the right option, but none of the Bears' wide receivers would even be #3 on the depth chart in Arizona.
Sure, it's not guaranteed that Orton won't be terrible next year, but it's much better to find that out during the '09 season and then go after someone else in the next draft. With Warner, the Bears would be back to looking for a quarterback in two years anyway. This type of experiment didn't work for the Jets (can you imagine if Favre had Boldin and Fitzgerald?) and it won't work for the Bears.
WELL SAID!!!
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#16 Jan 27, 2009
Something tells me that Arizona mngt. won't go the way of Jerry Angelo, and throw all their marbles on the back of an unproven QB. I'd imagine the Cards make a 1 or 2 year offer to Warner and try to keep a winning team going, no matter what it does to the development of Matt Leinart. If that's the case then the only way the Bears would have a chance at Warner would be, to outbid the Cards, and i sure don't see that happening.

I'll never understand the Bears philosophies when it comes to QB's. In the NFL where parity can allow a team to turn it's fortunes around in one season with good QB play, the Bears always seem so dead set on waiting for a QB to develop, instead of going out and getting a quality one, even it it means overpaying for one for a season. The Bears almost seem like they're ok with losing, if it means having to go the extra dollar to get good QB play.

All i'll say is, given the choice going into the 09 season, who would i prefer the QB to be, Warner or Orton? No question i'd go with Warner in a heartbeat, even if it meant Orton never develops into that great QB that Angelo apparently thinks he'll become.
Ahzroc

Tomah, WI

#17 Jan 27, 2009
deputydawg wrote:
<quoted text>Remember NewYork and remember St. Louis Rams Warner is a warm weather indoor QB and a very good one but Chicago would not be a good spot for him to end his career on a bad note. And using the question is it because he is a Christian is play ordinary ignorant and make rasonable believers seem dumb when a stupid statement is made and attached to all Christians.
Sorry, NO SALE...
bad arguement on your part...
Warner on NYG-
2004 NYG 10-9 277-174 2,054 .628 6 4 62 39-196 86.5
I'm grasping at straws re: the question about Christianity...
I'm asking an honest question:
What is it, after all the great and good seasons, that people really dislike him? Makes no sense to me.
Ahzroc

Tomah, WI

#18 Jan 27, 2009
I DO agree with you, deputydawg,
that the BEAR might be a bad place for him , compared to the Lions, for example...
and, not trying to sound sharp or harsh...
just that I think when people actually look at the season w/NYG, he took 39 sacks that year and STILL had a 86.5 rating 62.8% and 2054 yds...a pretty decent year! He would be 113th or 14th this year and AHEAD of Eli & Orton
Ahzroc

Tomah, WI

#19 Jan 27, 2009
Yes, you cant edit posts...
13th not 113th
TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

#20 Jan 27, 2009
Kurt, if you have any brains left, stay in Arizona. The bears are a loose, loose situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Warner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Could Brady be best ever? (Feb '17) Apr '17 SurePhartz 31
News LISTEN: Kurt Warner Weights In On... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 5
News 49ers Lose In Game One At Candelstick (Sep '08) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 2
News Palmer closing in on 4,000 yds, eyes 11-win season (Dec '13) Dec '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 8
News Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's '... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Card in Fla 1
News Hypothetical ESPN trade would send Larry Fitzge... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 14
News NFL analyst Brandt: Carson Palmer has 'gone bac... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Corran Horn 2