Racial shots at Jacksonville cross th...

Racial shots at Jacksonville cross the line

There are 46 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 27, 2007, titled Racial shots at Jacksonville cross the line. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

No outrage whatsoever. No newspaper columnists calling for him to be suspended. No TV commentators calling for him to be fined.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Muehlbauer

Debary, FL

#1 Mar 27, 2007
It's simple, us white people, we don't worry so much about labels and stuff like that.
People get drunk, and they often do talk out the back door, when they are drunk, so what?
Speech, is not racism.
Beating people up, robbing people, raping people and murdering people, using the person's kind, to facilitate or legitimize crime, that's racism.
ismael velazquez

Ormond Beach, FL

#2 Mar 27, 2007
Mike,
Welcome to the double standard that is the mainstream media. I'm sure John Rocker appreciates this article. They went after him relentlessly for making an observation.

Since: Dec 06

Apopka

#3 Mar 27, 2007
You are right, many caucasions don't worry about labels, but there are many other nationalities that do not let these labels bother them and that just blow the racist off (as they should). This world is too small for the us to be divided by slurs, racisism and intolerance.
Big Vinny

Jacksonville, FL

#5 Mar 27, 2007
Barnes is an idiot and I'd like to remind him that I-10 runs straight out of Jacksonville all the way back to California.

Thank you to Mike B. for having the courage to write this article.
Ken Bellamy

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Mar 27, 2007
With everyone being so quiet about this, it's essentially, reverse discrimination. Why should a minority celebrity get away with this?
OneMoreTry

Oviedo, FL

#7 Mar 27, 2007
Ken, there is no such thing as REVERSE DISCRIMINATION. That phrase in and of itself is part of the problem. Discrimination or racism isnt one way... its both ways. Discrimination is discrimination, be it directed towards whites, blacks, asian, handicapped, gay, or fat. The sooner we all release that, the better. It seems to me that many black people get racism confused with rude behavior or service. Not in this case, because he was cleary guilty, but in other small instances on a daily basis. If I get bad service at a Cafe, its becuase the server sucks, and doesnt care. A black person might think they got bad service because they are black. Clearly, this does happen, but not nearly as much as they think.
Big Splooge

Orlando, FL

#8 Mar 27, 2007
Actionville is racist. That's why the Jaguars need to move on down the road to the racial utopia that is Orlando. Cmon down Khalid, and bring the whole team with you!
Shavsha

Winter Park, FL

#9 Mar 27, 2007
I don't believe King would have ever stood at the foot of the Lincoln Memorial and delivered this impassioned speech: "I have a dream where spoiled-rotten NFL players will get a free pass for driving their luxury sedans drunk at over 100 mph."
I THINK THAT IS THE REAL ISSUE HERE....TOO HEAVY A FOOT, TOO BIG A MOUTH AND TOO MUCH MONEY ....ALL THE MAKINGS OF A BIG FAT BABY WHO NEEDS A SLAP DOWN.
SCR

Daytona Beach, FL

#10 Mar 27, 2007
Let me get this straight. This guy speeds recklessly, giving authorities probable cause, and then he claims he is being targeted because he is black? Counsilwoman Daisy Lynum would be proud.
Mike-Orlando

Orlando, FL

#11 Mar 27, 2007
One only has to look back at the Mel Gibson outcry to see that folks are racially motivated when presenting the new on an unequal basis. Racial is racial folks, it has nothing to do with the color of the skin, this type of bigotry must stop no matter WHO the perpetrator is. A dream is nice, but folks work hard on creating nightmares on racial issue. Both those who cross the line, and the enablers that give them slanted coverage or ignore the bad behavior.
reinman

United States

#12 Mar 27, 2007
Ken Bellamy wrote:
With everyone being so quiet about this, it's essentially, reverse discrimination. Why should a minority celebrity get away with this?
There is no such thing as reverse racism. That phrase was invented to give some a cart blanch on hating.
Rich Schrule

Peapack, NJ

#13 Mar 27, 2007
Awesome article. It is unfortunate that you left Jacksonville. Your journalistic talent is missed each time I open the times-ONION.
Mr. Barnes is a disgrace.
Mr Yu

Fort Myers, FL

#14 Mar 27, 2007
OneVoice3 wrote:
You are right, many caucasions don't worry about labels, but there are many other nationalities that do not let these labels bother them and that just blow the racist off (as they should). This world is too small for the us to be divided by slurs, racisism and intolerance.
What nationality are caucasions?
Mr Yu

Fort Myers, FL

#15 Mar 27, 2007
reinman wrote:
<quoted text>There is no such thing as reverse racism. That phrase was invented to give some a cart blanch on hating.
Playing the White Card?

carte blanche [ kaart blȥnch, kȦrt blȥNsh ]

noun

Definition:

freedom to act: permission or authority given to somebody to act with freedom or discretion
She's been given carte blanche to make whatever changes she thinks necessary.

[< French, "white card"]
Keith

United States

#16 Mar 27, 2007
I spent a week in Jacsonville one night... and he's right. It's a "hick town."
Keith

United States

#17 Mar 27, 2007
No doubt, I agree, It's a hick town.
Mr Yu

Fort Myers, FL

#19 Mar 27, 2007
Keith wrote:
No doubt, I agree, It's a hick town.
"Oh, it was just a tiny matter of Barnes' 2007 silver Mercedes being clocked at 101 mph in a 60-mph zone. And did we mention Barnes failed a field sobriety test and had a blood alcohol level, according to police, 11/2 times Florida's legal driving limit?"

Yea , I blame the town.
Mr Yu

Fort Myers, FL

#21 Mar 27, 2007
good guy wrote:
About a month ago I opened a folder for blacks where I have saved articles about black crime, and I add to it almost daily. It is shameful. Again, Martin Luther King said it best. "Do not judge us by the color of our skin, but the conduct of our character". That is exactly how blacks are judged!! I have the highest of respect for accomplished good citizen blacks, such as almost all black sports announcers, and various sports players, as well as black entertainers, and other civilized and honorable law abiding blacks.
I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

-It's strange how often that is misquoted.
Bibliophile11

Winter Park, FL

#22 Mar 27, 2007
Muehlbauer wrote:
It's simple, us white people, we don't worry so much about labels and stuff like that.
People get drunk, and they often do talk out the back door, when they are drunk, so what?
Speech, is not racism.
Beating people up, robbing people, raping people and murdering people, using the person's kind, to facilitate or legitimize crime, that's racism.
Why do we white people have to worry about labels? When was it a disadvantage to be called white? When did being called white mean you couldn't get a job, or be served in a restaurant, or get an education, or ask the police to save you from lynching?

And yes, speech can be racist -- in the extreme. If you don't think so, you either have some weird standards, or you don't get out much.
Bibliophile11

Winter Park, FL

#23 Mar 27, 2007
good guy wrote:
About a month ago I opened a folder for blacks where I have saved articles about black crime, and I add to it almost daily. It is shameful. Again, Martin Luther King said it best. "Do not judge us by the color of our skin, but the conduct of our character". That is exactly how blacks are judged!! I have the highest of respect for accomplished good citizen blacks, such as almost all black sports announcers, and various sports players, as well as black entertainers, and other civilized and honorable law abiding blacks.
Do you have a folder on 'white crime'? There's a bit of it going around, too. Do you qualify your approval for them as "good white citizens" and "white entertainers" and "honorable law-abiding whites?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Khalif Barnes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thompson: Time for Raiders to clean house, again (Nov '14) Nov '14 Rod 5
News Which Raiders rookies look to have immediate im... (May '14) May '14 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 10
News Oakland Raiders re-sign lineman Khalif Barnes (Feb '14) Mar '14 SIlver Fan 9
News Oakland Raiders OL Priorities: Re-Sign Jared Ve... (Jan '14) Jan '14 The Autumn Wind 2
News What position the Raiders position is in: Guard... (Jan '14) Jan '14 raider4life 4
News Oakland Raiders notebook: Backup quarterback Ma... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Raiders: Woodson's homecoming shows he's here t... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Flynnished 11
More from around the web