For Frazier's defense, 'the sky's the limit'

As the Vikings' defensive coordinator, Leslie Frazier presides over a unit that has allowed an NFC-low 38 points and ranks fifth overall in the NFL. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
idea venting

Duluth, MN

#61 Oct 2, 2010
Vikings are 21st in the NFL for third down efficiency. Last year, they were fifth. Clearly, the Minnesota's inability to convert on third down has stifled its offense.
Why?
Col. Klink and his playcalling
This year, passing play each time he has been faced with more than two yards to go on third downs, with a conversion rate of only 18%. Moreover, he has ordered a running play with less than two yards to go on third downs, converting 4 of 5.
With 2 exceptions
(1) unadvisedly tried to ram it into the end zone at the end of the loss to the Dolphins and
(2) unsuccessfully tried to run out the clock at the end of the win against the lowly Lions.

Vikings are 1-2 thus far, 29th in scoring,
16th in total offense,
24th passing
6th in rushing.
Last year, they finished with 12-4, ranking second in scoring, fifth in total offense, eighth in passing and 13th in rushing.
Why?
Bernard Berrian has showed his uninspired play last year was not due to just injury. Before the season, they traded for the Dolphins receiver Greg Camarillo, who has yet to learn the playbook. The remaining receivers, Greg Lewis and Hank Baskett, are rejects from Childress’ former Eagles team.
Farve's favorite receivers are now Adrian Peterson, who leads the team in catches, and tight end Visante Shiancoe, who leads the team in receiving yards. The lack of surehanded wideouts has necessiated Favre's overreliance on Peterson and Shiancoe.
Vikings can’t overcome the predictable play calling of Klink on pass plays, especially crucial third downs, because they don't have superior talent at wide receiver to get separation against defenses dropping seven and eight defenders into coverage or rushing the quarterback.

This may come as a total shock to Childress, but NFL teams actually do try to disguise whether they will run or pass on all downs, including crucial third downs, so defenses can’t gain an advantage on both pass and run plays.
idea venting

Duluth, MN

#62 Oct 2, 2010
Oh and looked this up
Football 101 says “offenses need to mix running and passing plays to avoid tipping defenses off with tendencies they can take advantage of…. This balanced attack can keep the defense guessing and allows for more varied play calling depending on the game situation.”

and

other playcallers try to maintain at least some balance on third downs between run and pass. They pass at least 27 percent of the plays when needing less than two yards and run 11 to 24 percent of the plays when needing more than two yards.
idea venting

Duluth, MN

#63 Oct 2, 2010
Think about this also,
Harvin as a scat back, which many other teams have found useful on third and longs.
Da Bears 2010

Aurora, IL

#64 Oct 2, 2010
ex favre fan wrote:
<quoted text>But they will be playing chumps, when they play the queens!.........Hey Da Bears, it was a fun game, the packers made to many mistakes........Plane and simple!.........PS, I see Lovie still has that golden horseshoe stuck up his ars!.........Hahahahhahah!...D ats,Da Bears!.........Still loved the aggresive play from the pack, it will pay off!......Watch out bert, 2 games with the Pack, and 2 games with Da bears!.....Clay, and or Peppers?.........Are licking their chops!.....Hhaahahhah!
LOL with the golden horseshoe quote. He does look kinda constipated when he's on the sidelines, interview room etc. Favre is going to wish he never came back when he faces the Bears and Packers, OUCH!!
Da Bears 2010

Aurora, IL

#65 Oct 2, 2010
deer tracks wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think that way..Then YOU are the chump....Season is just starting, and you are already looking for the trophy polish...
No sense in asking Viking fans for trophy polish, they dont even know what it looks like!!!!

“Blue collar in paradise”

Since: Mar 10

I did NOT miss a spot

#66 Oct 2, 2010
idea venting wrote:
Think about this also,
Harvin as a scat back, which many other teams have found useful on third and longs.
I like this idea. And for cripessakes STOP using Berrian as a kick returner! The numbskull can't even CATCH the FRIGGIN BALL!
deer tracks

Yankton, SD

#67 Oct 2, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
<quoted text> No sense in asking Viking fans for trophy polish, they dont even know what it looks like!!!!
Don't ask the Viking Fans for anything Turkey..They won't even give you the time of the day ..The only thing they will give you is a hard time...Lets see how you do with the Giants..Chris Williams and Major Wright are both out...You might want to wait until the end of the game before you start cackling..
deer tracks

Yankton, SD

#68 Oct 2, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
<quoted text>LOL with the golden horseshoe quote. He does look kinda constipated when he's on the sidelines, interview room etc. Favre is going to wish he never came back when he faces the Bears and Packers, OUCH!!
Yawn..wake me up when you get a brain.....zzzzzzz.
idea

Duluth, MN

#69 Oct 3, 2010
eric_113 wrote:
<quoted text>
I like this idea. And for cripessakes STOP using Berrian as a kick returner! The numbskull can't even CATCH the FRIGGIN BALL!
I think we aim to hurt Mr. catch every ball cammarilo now because he makes berrian look bad and doesn't know how to suck and just collect a paycheck

Harvin should be able to carry the load if he can just get over the stupid migraines smoke weed and have farve do his drug tests for him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kevin Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom Powers: Vikings' offense apparently was bet... Sep '14 GoVikes 10
How Good Or Bad Is The Vikings Roster? Jun '14 erie-vike fan 3
Minnesota Vikings Day 1 Draft Primer May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Vikings have options at quarterback in NFL draft May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 4
Minnesota Vikings' Mock Draft: Instant Contribu... (Mar '14) Mar '14 He Hate Me 3
Minnesota Vikings Express Interest In Paul Soliai (Mar '14) Mar '14 misterdro80 2
5 Questions I Wish I Could Ask Minnesota Viking... (Feb '14) Feb '14 viking nation 1

Kevin Williams People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE