Shooter Now: Here's Bob Lurtsema's 50...

Shooter Now: Here's Bob Lurtsema's 50 greatest Minnesota Vikings players

There are 27 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 15, 2010, titled Shooter Now: Here's Bob Lurtsema's 50 greatest Minnesota Vikings players. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

On Sunday, the Minnesota Vikings will announce their 50 greatest players in franchise history with a celebration at the Minneapolis Convention Center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#1 Dec 15, 2010
Why no Herschel Walker? he may not have brought a super bowl to the vikings but he singlehandedly brought 3 to the cowboys.
Maroon and Gold in Wisc

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 15, 2010
Lurtsema's list is probably more solid than the fans will put together. I have Pat Williams over Doug Sutherland. Ahmad Rashad should be there also possibly replacing Joe Senser who only had a couple of good years, and 0 yards after the catch.
UGH

Bryan, TX

#3 Dec 15, 2010
What a great list of players! Just reading it brought back so many fond memories of watching the Purple and Gold. It was a nice walk down memory lane - and a good antidote to the disaster that this year has been.
badgergopher

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 15, 2010
Antoine Winfield? Usually these lists are dominated by current players (unless compiled by an old-timer, I guess) but I think that Winfield deserves a spot.
Sid H

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 15, 2010
Who gives a rip whom Benchwarmer Bob thinks should be on the 50 year team? How about some actual work out there Chas? Maybe you could get some insight from your Twins spies, er, wait, you don't have any. Maybe your Vikes spies, or your Twolves spies or your Wild spies? Looking back on this, I guess this is the best you can do. Haha.

Since: May 08

NW Wisconsin

#6 Dec 15, 2010
He has Culpepper but not Brad Johnson?
BlowMeAKiss

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Dec 15, 2010
Sid H wrote:
Who gives a rip whom Benchwarmer Bob thinks should be on the 50 year team? How about some actual work out there Chas? Maybe you could get some insight from your Twins spies, er, wait, you don't have any. Maybe your Vikes spies, or your Twolves spies or your Wild spies? Looking back on this, I guess this is the best you can do. Haha.
Go away scuzball. Who gives a rip what you think? How about some actual thought out there dingleberry? Maybe you could get some insight from your Friends, er, wait, you don't have any. Looking back on this, I guess this is the best you can do. Haha
MN Native

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Dec 15, 2010
That last paragraph seems to say a lot:

"By the way, I don't know that there are 60 guys in Vikings' history that played more than five years. You go through the list to see how many Vikings played five years or more and you'll be shocked, absolutely shocked."

I don't have any idea if that is true, nor will I waste my time verifying any of it, but maybe nobody wanted to play here?? A lot of big names, yes, absolutely. But.....tumbleweeds in that one trophy case..........
Poot

Sioux Falls, SD

#9 Dec 15, 2010
Culpepper was nothing without Moss.
DD Austin

Memphis, TN

#10 Dec 15, 2010
Culpepper, now that's an idea! Can't be any worse than TJ that's for sure!
Bring him in!:)
MN Native

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 15, 2010
MN Native wrote:
That last paragraph seems to say a lot:
"By the way, I don't know that there are 60 guys in Vikings' history that played more than five years. You go through the list to see how many Vikings played five years or more and you'll be shocked, absolutely shocked."
I don't have any idea if that is true, nor will I waste my time verifying any of it, but maybe nobody wanted to play here?? A lot of big names, yes, absolutely. But.....tumbleweeds in that one trophy case..........
Oh, wait, is there a trophy in that one trophy case?? I don't remember one....Maybe it's been so long since I bled purple that I forgot....Anyway.......
blckjcksn

United States

#12 Dec 15, 2010
The average career for an NFL player spans only 3 and a half years. I would bet that it is not so unusual to only have a good handful of guys in a fifty year span who spend 5+ years with a team.
Mark

United States

#13 Dec 15, 2010
How's Benchwarmer Bob's throwing arm? We know he'd bring a great attitude....

Since: Sep 08

Farmington, MN

#14 Dec 15, 2010
its nice to see the list dominated by players from the old days, thats when they actually cared about and respected the game.
idea

Duluth, MN

#15 Dec 15, 2010
Poot wrote:
Culpepper was nothing without Moss.
very true
aloha

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 15, 2010
oxboro wrote:
its nice to see the list dominated by players from the old days, thats when they actually cared about and respected the game.
hippie

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#17 Dec 15, 2010
I still remember SI printing an article pre-Super Bowl when the Vikes were about to play the Raiders and mentioning that the Vikes would need a helicopter to block a Ray Guy punt as that regular season the Vikes had numerous blocked punts..............lo and behold Matt Blair got one, too bad they still couldn't score off it if my memory serves me correctly.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Erie

#18 Dec 15, 2010
I was wrong, it was Fred McNeil who blocked that punt in the SB..............BUT BLAIR had a stellar season that year getting his fair share of blocks.
Jessica Biels Tight Buns

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 16, 2010
erie-vike fan wrote:
I still remember SI printing an article pre-Super Bowl when the Vikes were about to play the Raiders and mentioning that the Vikes would need a helicopter to block a Ray Guy punt as that regular season the Vikes had numerous blocked punts..........lo and behold Matt Blair got one, too bad they still couldn't score off it if my memory serves me correctly.
I believe Brent McClanahan fumbled at the one

“We've been Norv'ed”

Erie

#20 Dec 16, 2010
Jessica Biels Tight Buns wrote:
<quoted text>I believe Brent McClanahan fumbled at the one
YEP........Robert Griffith wasn't on this list, he had some solid years for the Vikes. Must be in the early 50's then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kevin Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News So how far behind are the Vikings at offensive ... Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Tom Powers: Vikings' offense apparently was bet... (Aug '14) Sep '14 GoVikes 10
News How Good Or Bad Is The Vikings Roster? (Jun '14) Jun '14 erie-vike fan 3
News Minnesota Vikings Day 1 Draft Primer (May '14) May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Vikings have options at quarterback in NFL draft (May '14) May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News Minnesota Vikings' Mock Draft: Instant Contribu... (Mar '14) Mar '14 He Hate Me 3
News Minnesota Vikings Express Interest In Paul Soliai (Mar '14) Mar '14 misterdro80 2
More from around the web