the offseason staff writer alex marve...

the offseason staff writer alex marvez summarizes the dolphins'...

There are 41 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 21, 2007, titled the offseason staff writer alex marvez summarizes the dolphins'.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

PICKED UP Jay Feely, K, contract: 3 yrs., $5.025M LocalLinks Signed to replace the outgoing Olindo Mare.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Willy Perez-Feria

Miami, FL

#1 Mar 21, 2007
This list would look better if they had managed to secure at least one FA WR so that the draft could solidify the OL. But unfortunately, even when offering slightly better deals, NE was able to lure the WR's with the promise of TOM BRADY inflating their receiving numbers. None of these WR's felt they'd do as well with Culpepper and Cameron, especially since Cameron is a run first, TE second kind of guy.

But who knows, it could be that the story next year is how BAD NE's WR's STILL are, even after Millions invested in FA. I will say this, failing to address the LT, LG, WR, CB, C and back-up RB (assuming RW comeback might be short lived due to yet another suspension) in the draft will CERTAINLY garner quite a bit of criticism around the league, and rightfully so. Right now, the argumant that the Dolphins are somehow GREATER by SUBTRACTION doesn't hold much water. Yes, the vets we released were underperforming and even WELKER, who was the heart of this offensive team last year, presented problems by keeping him. So we trimmed the fat, now we need CLEAR upgrades in these key positions. Let's see what happens in April. GO PHINS!
Stephen

AOL

#2 Mar 21, 2007
Yes, we lost a couple solid players in Welker and Minor. Moreso than that, Cameron and Mueller took out the trash. It's good so far. This draft will address offensive needs, and the next 2 drafts will further solidify a future playoff team. It's going to take some time, and it can't all be fixed in 1 year. But they're on the right track. Patience is needed.
Phanatical

Shreveport, LA

#3 Mar 21, 2007
Nice start by Cam/Mueller. Trimmed the fat, got rid of non-productive players, didn't give away draft picks like candy, and even picked up three extra picks. This was a great offseason so far. The Welker and Morris losses will hurt the most but those guys can be replaced if we draft well. GO PHINS~!
Timbra

Suffern, NY

#4 Mar 21, 2007
Hopefully the preseason moves are not over. I think some quality players will be available after the draft that the Phins can pick up as a bargain. I still think they made a HUGE mistake in releasing Harrington rather than Culpepper. It doesn't take a genius to realize Culpepper is done as a starter in the NFL. Harrington, with his youth and arm, gives the Phins a better shot of reaching the Super Bowl than any of their current options. Forget about Trent Green - trading for him would really be the nail in the coffin for this franchise. They may as well sign George Blanda! Even Marino would be a better option than Green or Culpepper combined. This franchise needs better management which will bring better scouting. Poor trades, drafting and personnel decisions have driven the Phins in to the ground the last 10 years. Hopefully they can buck the trend in the next coming years by building with the draft and not going crazy in free agency (Porter looks like a big mistake). The outlook is bleak but could be a lot better by making two slight personnel moves - replace Culpepper with Harrington and replace Mueller with someone who actually has a clue.
Drew

United States

#5 Mar 21, 2007
Amazingly most of these guys are still not signed with other teams as they were such great contibuters on a BAD TEAM....
List shoudl have been a little more decriptive ie

Randy Micmicheal - can't block and drops every 3rd ball TE.Again wheres the loss.

Wes Welker - sparkplug player great attitude,1 TD in 2 years and if he was such a big gain for the Pats why did they sign Washington and Stallworth?

Macintosh - swinging gate for LT overpowered as a guard,I can't say LJ is sleeping better knowing hes the new LT.

Harrington - if the Nicktator didn't trade for him he'd be where he is now last year.

Spragen - name 1 game where he made a play or created something out of nothing,having a hard time remembering ?

CPep - played 3 games ....oh wait I'm getting ahead of myself.

The rest of these guys all fill the same role.Underperformed and paid well to do just that,Cameron and Mueller have done what Saban should have done with a 4-12 team,rebuild not re-tool.
matt

AOL

#6 Mar 21, 2007
c-pep 1-6 that says it all! his knee is shot. for 6.9 million dollars id play with a bum leg too!
TIMBRA JP signing a mistake? no-way porter for spragan is the best move in Fa this year our defense is going to be the best in the NFL this year oh man i cant wait to see the dolphins blitz and get sack after sack. taylor and porter in the backfield is going to be every QB's nightmare
Doug

AOL

#7 Mar 21, 2007
If anyone thinks Cleo or Culpepper are the answers, they are CRAZY... WE NEED A RELIABLE QB.. We should have gone after Garcia.. If they get T.Green, we'll be a playoff team again..
phintim

Cape Coral, FL

#8 Mar 21, 2007
Pretty weak moves all around by the dolphins the Portor signing can't cover all the holes we have.
Don Nottingham

United States

#9 Mar 21, 2007
If Cameron is such a qb guru, why didn't he see if he could make something out of Harrington? I guess he is not so sure of his abilities as a coach.
Phil McAlpin

United States

#10 Mar 21, 2007
HELP!
Do we have enough canes to go around?

Since: Mar 07

Annapolis, MD

#11 Mar 21, 2007
In a stunning move the Dolphins resign Shane Matthews and trade to Tampa Bay who collect Qb's no one really wants for Tampa's #4 pick. Miami then trade that pick to Oakland for the #1 pick because Al Davis was "off his meds" the NFL will not step in says league source because Al "has it cominng"
phintim

Fort Myers, FL

#12 Mar 21, 2007
I will be happy to summarize the moves we have made so far. Signed a loudmouth bully linebacker, injured plague tight end, old fullback and a medocre kicker. Lost 18 plus players in free agent moves and trades. Gain in trades a 2nd, 7th possible 6th draft picks and perhaps something in the future for our old kicker. Wayne sign me up I can fire guys like Randy for half the price! As far as the draft holds we will see but that might be as fun to watch as free agency has been for the dolphins so far!
NYDolfanMike

Kingstree, SC

#13 Mar 21, 2007
I can't believe some of the knucklehead comments I am reading today. Hey Willy Perez, Cameron's offense featured run first and TE second because those were his two strongest positions. Naturally, you go with your strengths. When you have an aging McCardell and not much else as your receiving corps you don't make that your primary offensive focus. I am sure Cameron is going to feature the strongest points of the offense. That's a no-brainer.

Timbra, you are the one who is totally clueless. Porter looks like a big mistake. Wow, you must be able to see the future considering the fact that you think Porter's a mistake when they haven't even had a single practice yet much less played a game. And they notion of bringing back Harrington and getting rid of Mueller is such nonsense. Yes, I thought Culpepper was horrible last year but I would like to see what he can do when he has regained his mobility. Harrington was nothing special and he was healthy. Harrington would be a nice fit for the Dolphins as long as they get to play the Lions for 16 straigth weeks. Joey was better than Daunte last year but Joey still threw 1 or 2 costly picks per game. That is not going to make the Dolphins a playoff team. Mueller and Cameron are making all the moves they need to make. Mueller has a successful resume and it was not his fault that Saban wouldn't rely on the knowledge of Mueller and the scouting staff. I am very happy that Huizenga had enough wisdom to keep Mueller and let him do his thing.

Nottingham, it's amazing how can conclude that Cam must not be sure of his ability to coach based purely on the fact that he chose not to work with Joey. Maybe he felt that Joey was not going to amount to anything more than a marginal quarterback. The Fins need more than average at best. Next time you feel the urge to let the world know what's swimming around in your tiny brain do something to nip that urge in the bud.

I would much rather see this team go 5-11 in '07 with a foundation of good players to move forward than see them go 9-7 with old has-beens with no future ahead of them.
Grey

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Mar 21, 2007
We slightly overpaid for Porter. Other than that the Feely thing is confusing and do we have any OL linement on the team? Maybe we're going to a 4-3 on offense too.
The Dude

Washington, DC

#15 Mar 21, 2007
Don Nottingham wrote:
If Cameron is such a qb guru, why didn't he see if he could make something out of Harrington? I guess he is not so sure of his abilities as a coach.
Perhaps he can see what the rest of us see- Harrington sucks. Heck of a nice kid, but weak.
The Dude

Washington, DC

#16 Mar 21, 2007
NYDolfanMike wrote:
I would much rather see this team go 5-11 in '07 with a foundation of good players to move forward than see them go 9-7 with old has-beens with no future ahead of them.
Amen!
Stephen

AOL

#17 Mar 21, 2007
NYDolfanMike wrote:
I can't believe some of the knucklehead comments I am reading today. Hey Willy Perez, Cameron's offense featured run first and TE second because those were his two strongest positions. Naturally, you go with your strengths. When you have an aging McCardell and not much else as your receiving corps you don't make that your primary offensive focus. I am sure Cameron is going to feature the strongest points of the offense. That's a no-brainer.
Timbra, you are the one who is totally clueless. Porter looks like a big mistake. Wow, you must be able to see the future considering the fact that you think Porter's a mistake when they haven't even had a single practice yet much less played a game. And they notion of bringing back Harrington and getting rid of Mueller is such nonsense. Yes, I thought Culpepper was horrible last year but I would like to see what he can do when he has regained his mobility. Harrington was nothing special and he was healthy. Harrington would be a nice fit for the Dolphins as long as they get to play the Lions for 16 straigth weeks. Joey was better than Daunte last year but Joey still threw 1 or 2 costly picks per game. That is not going to make the Dolphins a playoff team. Mueller and Cameron are making all the moves they need to make. Mueller has a successful resume and it was not his fault that Saban wouldn't rely on the knowledge of Mueller and the scouting staff. I am very happy that Huizenga had enough wisdom to keep Mueller and let him do his thing.
Nottingham, it's amazing how can conclude that Cam must not be sure of his ability to coach based purely on the fact that he chose not to work with Joey. Maybe he felt that Joey was not going to amount to anything more than a marginal quarterback. The Fins need more than average at best. Next time you feel the urge to let the world know what's swimming around in your tiny brain do something to nip that urge in the bud.
Amen brother. Some of these people can't see the nose in front of their face. They're panicking. Why? Because we cast off a bunch of losers? And those who favor Harrington, please tell me why he hasn't been signed by some other team yet? Harrington will only be a backup, if ever that again. Cameron saw he wasn't worth a plug nickel, and that's why he released him. I'm no fan of Culpepper's either, don't get me wrong here. But he has more upside than Harrington, although not much. Patience, people. Give these guys a chance. The whole hasn't unfolded yet. But they're on the right track.
Rick Spielman

Remsenburg, NY

#18 Mar 21, 2007
Phanatical wrote:
Nice start by Cam/Mueller. Trimmed the fat, got rid of non-productive players, didn't give away draft picks like candy, and even picked up three extra picks. This was a great offseason so far. The Welker and Morris losses will hurt the most but those guys can be replaced if we draft well. GO PHINS~!
WOW. It's like this cat was reading my mind. ONLY Morris and Welker were POSSIBLY worth keeping. All the rest??? See ya. We had a terrible losing record with you over the past three years. I don't need a fourth year to find out what their capable of. And a second AND a seventh for Welker, he with one receiving TD in his career, is the steal of the off season. Great moves all around. VERY happy with the direction of this team now. I was afraid Cam wouldn't have the acorns to clean house but it really goes to show you what the perception was of the Dolphins offense around the league. Plus, the fact that Cam hasn't shot down reports the Cleo is competitng for the starting job, shows he's not to pleased with Cpep. Thank God.
Jim

Tallassee, AL

#19 Mar 21, 2007
WE NEED OL HELP.
Ken in San Diego

San Diego, CA

#20 Mar 21, 2007
My two cents on Joey. Great guy, fine human being, average arm, telegraphs throws.

Two of my co-workers are University of Oregon grads and one of them was on campus when Joey was there. They say that even in college, Joey's eyes always gave away which way he was going to throw the ball. He got away with that in college because of the level of competition as well as his accuracy. But at the pro level, the talent is equal and average arms cannot get away with telegraphing.

All QBs throw interceptions, even Marino. But Marino would bounce back and throw a TD on the next series. But Joey would panic, get tentative, lose confidence and throw another INT. That's the thin line that separates the average QBs from the greats. How you bounce back from adversity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kevin Vickerson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Broncos training camp: Live blog, day two (Jul '14) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 6
News Paige: Why the Broncos didn't win the Super Bowl (Feb '14) Feb '14 Dave 14
News After embarrassing loss, Broncos aren't quite r... (Aug '13) Aug '13 This 3
News Five Broncons are Pro Bowl bound (Dec '12) Dec '12 BRONCONS 1
News Broncos' Manning could see 2nd quarter vs. Seat... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Fox predicting quick turnaround (Mar '11) Mar '11 Foxfarts 5
News NFL rule changes do little to protect defenders (Oct '10) Nov '10 GBPfan 8
More from around the web