Warrior Replay - Sports

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The Setup: Cincinnati 10, Hawaii 3, 11:45 remaining third quarter, Hawaii ball, first and 10 at Hawaii 39 The Play: WR Malcolm Lane gets a step-and-a-half on his man, and QB Greg Alexander finds him deep.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Sta

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

The big plays were set up by the UH not continuing with what they did in the 3rd quarter.
I think the coaches made a big mistake by trying to eat the clock with the running game, the run and shoot does not give you this unless you have a really good running game to complement the run and shoot.
Costly penalties also contributed to this, you just don't go around and hit people that have given up on the plays, it shows a lack of decipline on the players and even more so the coaches who did not address this during the course of the game.
The penalties of this nature sheads a bad light on the team as a whole, I hope the coaches correct this for the Hawaii Bowl, we sure don't want a repeat of saturdays game.
The UH has proven itself to be a good team this year and their record shows this, congraulations on a good season, I really look forward to watching the Rainbows again in 2009.
Warrior Fan

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Backup QB and the stupid penalties is what made Cincy win this game. UH coaches need to make changes when needed durning the game if you wan't to win. Yes UH is a better team then how they played this last week. Hope the coaches make adjustments because ND is a good team regardless of their win loss record this season. If you play the run and shoot offense then pick a good time to apply the run when you got the opposing defense confused if you are going to shoot or run. go wariorrs.
realmerv

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Judged:

It is the unnecessary penalties that keeps Hawaii from winning games and this game was just another one that UH lost due to stupid penalties.

The couches need to recognize this and talk to the whole team together and show them why UH lost the Cincinnati game because of the penalties. Maybe they will learn from watching the film so that UH will have a chance to beat Notre Dame.

Holding penalties are excusable penalties ... but not many of the unnecessary roughness penalties that UH always seem to have each game.

And lining up offsides by a lineman is so stupid. The defensive line coach needs to be sure his lineman gets his eyes examined. Or maybe some of the other players need to pay attention and tell the offending player to stay back a little bit to avoid being offside.

This is the second game that I've noticed that Coach Mack doesn't seem to have good time management by calling time outs to save time from running out unnecessarily. Did people notice the kid in the stands being shown on tv signaling that UH should call time out? Maybe Coach Mack should have the kid next to him during future games so the kid can advise him when to call time outs.

Coach Lee also needs to consider his failings in this loss. He needs to understand that Hawaii was doing well throughout the game so why change the game plan at the end of the game to preserve the win. You can't eat the clock just by running the ball especially since UH doesn't have a strong running game. And why run the ball wide in UH's end zone when Cincinnati's defensive tackles were overpowering UH?

It was an exciting game until the 4th quarter when it became sickening to watch. After Cincinnati intercepted the ball for a score, the coaching was terrible.
Embarrassed

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

As representatives of not only the university, but also of the state of Hawaii, the team failed miserably in front of a WORLD-wide audience.

Personal fouls are inexcusable no matter what the circumstances, and it is the coach's job to instill sportsmanship and self-discipline in his players regardless of the hype and emotion associated with a big game.

One lapse in judgment is understandable. But the frequency in which those flags were thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct was an embarrassment to a people who lay claim to the "Aloha Spirit".

As an alumnus, I consider myself a die hard UH fan and will continue to cheer on the team. But last Saturday's game was one that I believe UH deserved to lose.
warriorfan

Kapaau, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

UH has the worst play calling in the world. A pop warner coach could do better. In fact i could. Why would you run a stupid run play at your own 1 and then get safety. Pilares needs to come in and UH needs a new Offensive coordinator.
HOORIBLE
alice

Maunaloa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Judged:

Ron Lee is not a big-time guy hon. Why blame him?
Harold Geister

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

I have been around football for 45 years and spent a lot of time with the San Francisco 49ers. I have never seen such poor play calling as Hawaii used in the second half and particularly the fourth quarter. I have never seen anyone ever call a sweep from it's own 1 yard line. It is either a quick hit up the middle or a pass. And, by the way, who is in charge of time outs? Hawaii wasted a full minute in the last 2 minutes 30 seconds.
told u so

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

I tried watching the Hawaii football game sat night. The UH football team is no good.
Maybe they are too small or need better players.
You can accumulate a TON of statistics
and your team is still NO GOOD.
The bottom line is you need better quality players.
Something to think about.
Rasta Man

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

I agree with Sta, Warrior Fan, embarrassed, and realmerv - PENALTIES! Hawaii is the #1 penalized team in the country! Over 1000 total yards in penalties this season.
mainlander

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Wow hawaii fans are brutel and not at all the ones I remember when we were winning last year! I guess a team is only good if they win. Never mind that last years schedule was a weak one and every one was talking about that. Now we play a hard a-- schedule and do it with out a QB in the first few games. I think the team has come along way and is doing nothing but improving! I was at that game and it was great, up until the end. with our mistakes we only lost by a few points that's pretty damn good. I didn't like the out come either. I know that the defense played their heart out and we just fell apart at the end. The one thing that I don't like is some of the fans out there think that local talent means better talent. Not always the case. But it seems that -that's what you head coach is going for now. so good luck next year and the years to follow. And good luck against N.D. in the hawaii bowl. GO WARRIORS!!!!
Leadership

Fpo, AP

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2008

Now is the time for Coach Mac to step up and demonstrate some leadership and make some moves to improve the team. He needs to bring in a new run and shoot offensive coordinator and allow Ron Lee to do return to what he knows best, coaching WRs. Also, Coach Mac needs to have the Special Teams coach monitor the clock and be there to warn and provide on the spot recommendations to him at the end of the 1/2 and end of the game. There are many moving pieces and he needs to come up with a plan to ensure he can effectively monitor and manage the game.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kevin Huber Discussions

Search the Kevin Huber Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bengals special teams have been not so special (Dec '09) Dec '09 erie-vike fan 2
Playoffs?! Cincinatti Bengals Prowling For Post... (Jul '09) Jul '09 cdhais 2
2009 NFL Draft: Dan Pompei's top kickers, punters (Apr '09) May '09 Chris Edwards 3
Just who are these streaking Bearcats? (Dec '08) Dec '08 objective thought 1
Warrior Replay - Sports News (Dec '08) Dec '08 warriors 1
Ohio State's Trapasso a Guy semifinalist (Nov '08) Nov '08 Sam Storts 1
Previewing West Virginia-UConn (Nov '08) Nov '08 FREDDYKOOL 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••