Vanquished in Va.

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Certainly, Ralph Friedgen had known this could happen, perhaps even dreaded it. "I've got butterflies," the Maryland coach had said two days before last night's football game against Virginia, a two-touchdown ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of47
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sparky

Parkville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

The Maryland footbal teams over the last 5 yrs. have been frustrating to watch. However, I think coach Friegden does as good of a job with the talent he has as anyone. I don't want him going anywhere else. I just don"t understand how they could be so flat against Virginia. They looked that way against Clemson in the first half then came back hard. I don't know why, but I guess you must give creidit where it is due, to Virginia, players and coaches. I have never felt that the Virginia game is more of a rivalry than any of the other games. In my experiences, the Clemson and N.C. State games are characteristically the best games of the season. Let's see what they do in two weeks.
Rise n Conquer

Ellicott City, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Coaching, Coachng, Coaching. Preventing these sort of meltdowns starts with discipline, pratcie/game prep philosophy, contror of players' weekly regimen, their commitment to team, and other aspects system . Clearly Terps football system, as developed by its coaches, is flawed. Perhaps the rottenest egg ever laid by Ralph.
Sparky

Parkville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

I agree, it looks to be that way. However, Ralph Friedgen has impressed me as a very good coach. We just don't have the luxury that other top programs have of recruiting and getting top level players. I think this years offensive line play has been more erratic than was expected. I don't understand it. Yet, I support coach Friedgen 100%.
surffkat

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

If you ever look at the recruits' bio that Md gets you will notice that they are a lot of nice kids that very few major programs wants. The only Friedgen teams that were consistent were the first 3 years with recruits from the previous coach. Maryland looks good this year because the ACC other programs are having down years. Once or if the other ACC teams return to form Maryland will be like Duke in Football, a bottom feeder.
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Sparky wrote:
I agree, it looks to be that way. However, Ralph Friedgen has impressed me as a very good coach. We just don't have the luxury that other top programs have of recruiting and getting top level players. I think this years offensive line play has been more erratic than was expected. I don't understand it. Yet, I support coach Friedgen 100%.
Yet i support coach Friedgen, what bull shit, Ralph should be fired to let his team get beat like that to a terrible Va team. It shows that he doesn't have the teams pulse. Good coaches don't let there teams lose to teams like that. You beat 2 top 25 programs with a chance to go to a good bowl game and then you throw a clunker like that in. His teams are unprepared to play and hiring coach franklin back must be some kind of joke. Look ralph admitted the other day , when in joking said MY FATHER WOULD TURN OVER IN HIS GRAVE, meaning that Ralph doesn't have the temperament to coach in today's atmosphere, and deal with these kids.It's time for a complete coaching change.ENOUGH ENOUGH
fkterp

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

they were out coached, out hustled and out played. a pathetic performance.
RIGHT

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

This is horrible...
Terrible Coaching all around.
So let's see, we have a team that can't even win the acc when the whole league stinks, Poor coaching, unmotivated players and the ugliest stadium in the country...
that's alot to look forward too..
Glad I did'nt waste my money on the Terrapin Club.
Blow it up!!
It's Over!
dcterp

Mount Airy, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Not surprised. When I talked to people at work this past week they would all say "oh UVA, MD should beat them" and I'd say "yes they should, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them go down and lose", and lo and behold they came through. Last night when seeing the score updates I didn't get upset, my response was a disgusted laugh because you know...who couldn't have figured this...its what Friedgens teams do. He has to be about the worst motivator as a coach...he kept warning the players they could lose this game!? What kind of motivation is that? You see other programs that face these kind of games, and there are some upsets, but most teams go out and beat these lousy teams. Some beat the daylights out of these light weights, some get challenged but win and then the occasional upset, but not the Terps...they'll not only lose to them but not even look competitive. Then we here the lines, "we just couldn't get it going", "we weren't prepared to play this game", "we have to find a way to be more consistent". This isn't a matter of talent, we beat Cal, we beat Clemson, so there's enough talent there, definitely enough to beat weak teams like MTSU & UVA, this is about preparation and motivation. Friedgen appears to have no ability in that area...and as we're always hearing...football is a game of emotion. I think this is what we're seeing, he has the X's and O's ability, he just doesn't have the personal ability to motivate and inspire a team. I guess this might be why he spent so many years as a top assistant without getting a head coaching spot...AD's saw this lack of ability and for a head coach it is all important. He should have stayed an offensive coordinator, he's just not head coach material. I guess with all we've read the last few weeks about how MD can't afford to get rid of him Terp fans will have to get used to this. We're stuck with him and these kinds of results until the end of his contract or until he decides to retire.
turtle soup

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Fire Chris Cosh and the rest of the defensive staff. Hire back Gary Blackney. If the Fridge doesn't make changes to his defensive staff at the end of the year, then he should be fired himself. Fridge is a nice guy, but he's way too loyal for his own good.
Sam

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

what does it matter..we all should be paying more attention to our 401ks
Ralph and his group will retire nicely
Dan eastern shore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Take the music out of the kids ears on the team bus,stay at a Motel 6,eat from McDonalds,say goodbye to mom and dad the night before,run some contact drills right before gametime and maybe play some Notre Dame music in the locker room and let's see what happens.Bowl reps won't touch this team for a showdown in another stadium;will they get it,now??
Joe

Elkridge, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Maryland plays to their opponents. This really is not that hard of a concept. If they play a Clemson, they play up. If they play a Virginia or Middle Tennesee, they play down. Golden rule of MD football: "We play to our competition's level." So all the competition has to do is play slightly better than usual (well at least for the crappy teams).

Embarassing performance. Simply embarassing. I'm so glad I did not go down to this game. So glad.
rickterp

Cairo, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Fat Man MUst Go.
MLinDC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

After 5 years and the same problems with different players, there's no doubt that the problems with program and game management lie with the coaches, and specifically Ralph. I'm not overreacting: what has Ralph done without Blakeney and Taffe? nothing. He cannot reach his players. He doesn't know the strengths and weaknesses of his players and his staff gameplans and schemes to take the life out of the players' aggressiveness, so it's no wonder we play down or up to our competition. Ralph simply is overpaid and not that effective as a coach or program manager. If it wasn't for his absurd contract and the problem of buying him out, I think he'd be gone in a heartbeat. He needs to stop looking at his players and point at his own failures. 5 straight years of funamentally unsound ball and poor coaching. With that said, he's somehow pull out 6 or 7 wins to save his hide.
Bob

Cockeysville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Debbie yow better take a real hard look at both the basketball and football programs. This school is starting to be a laughing stock and it's very evident that ralph is lost without his 2 great assistant coaches. The same can be said for Gary. We give these head coaches top of the line salaries and in reality we all know the assistants are doing all the work. Ralph has certainly lost this bunch of kids. and it all started when he made a horrible decision of starting steffy. I truly believe he set the tone for the entire year by that stupid decision.Navy is the prime example of a well coached and disciplined team.It is truly time for ralph to be fired and get some good young coach in here to change the attitude and install some much needed discipline to this team.
Chester River Girl

Potomac, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

I hope Fridge and some of the team read here,'cause I want to ask them WHERE'S YOUR F*%#ING PRIDE? How does a team that beats three respectable teams the last three weeks, LOSE TO A TEAM THAT SCORED ALMOST AS MANY POINTS LAST NIGHT AS THEY HAVE ALL SEASON!!! I'm so angry, I could just spit.

Boys, you're a crappy team playing in a nondescript league. You need to spend some off time watching the repeats of the weekend's SEC games... Watch how teams with school pride go out and play each and every weekend as if their very lives were on the line... And to think you guys were on the verge of cracking the Top 25... I'm thoroughly disgusted.

See you next season....
Steve

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Fridge tries to blame his players..Navy wins with less talent..coaching coaching coaching.
Chester River Girl

Potomac, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

Oh, and on the issue of Debbie Yow... GET A MAN IN THERE AS AD!!! Preferably a man from the SEC or Big 10 who has actually played football (and basketball), who remembers losses that felt like death - and lingered for years! Nice guys - and girls - finish last. MD is full of candy-ass sports programs that can't close the deal. CLEAN HOUSE!!
Greg B

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

RIGHT wrote:
This is horrible...
Terrible Coaching all around.
So let's see, we have a team that can't even win the acc when the whole league stinks, Poor coaching, unmotivated players and the ugliest stadium in the country...
that's alot to look forward too..
Glad I did'nt waste my money on the Terrapin Club.
Blow it up!!
It's Over!
Yeah they are very inconsistent to put it mildly, but if Friedgen were so bad they wouldn't win games like at Clemson. And Byrd Stadium is great-if you don't like it don't go. 4-2 and "it's over", you sound like a really lame "fan" anyway. Go Terps-1 loss is 1 loss.
Dazed

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2008

The fat man was out-coached again! Ms. Yow, please fire him immediately, then fire yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of47
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kevin Barnes Discussions

Search the Kevin Barnes Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Seeking spark in return game, the Redskins call... (Nov '09) Nov '09 lady E 1
G'bye, but Terps don't fare well (Nov '08) Nov '08 Biff 17
Bearing down (Sep '08) Sep '08 DFWB 9
Maryland provides wakeup call to No. 23 California (Sep '08) Sep '08 kimmy 1
Ex-BC coach is A-OK with Terps (Nov '07) Nov '07 Eaglelicious 2
Terps toppled - (Oct '07) Oct '07 Bo Didley 21
•••
•••
•••