Ohio.com - QBs play on unsure ground

Aug 30, 2007 Read more: Akron Beacon Journal 15
BEREA: The secrecy and the evasiveness and the coin flips have to be wearing thin. Read more
Dog

Akron, OH

#1 Aug 30, 2007
Crennel I can't wait any longer, let me help.
Start Kozar, Brian Sipe at #2 and have
Vinny on speed dial
Tim Chippewa Lake

Stow, OH

#2 Aug 30, 2007
Hey Dog,
Otto Graham and Mike Phipps arn't dead yet.
confused

Naples, FL

#3 Aug 30, 2007
To a lot of fans, Phipps has been dead since about 1974.
Ramon

Canton, OH

#4 Aug 30, 2007
Phipps to Pitts! Yeah baby!! Wow what happened to him to die so young?

Where is Pointless Paul McDonald?
ROY

Anaheim, CA

#5 Aug 30, 2007
AFTER WATCHING THE REPLAY OF THE DENVER GAME LAST NITE, I HAVE COME TO CONCLUSION THAT THIS TEAM IS JUST AS BAD AS LAST YEARS. CAN NOT RUN THE BALL AND CAN NOT STOP THE RUN. GOOD BYE--ROMEO!!
Randy from Lyndhurst

AOL

#6 Aug 30, 2007
There's a Crennelephant on the loose, and he's making a muck in the jungle. Seems his cranial features are large but with little brain matter, and he's too slow to comprehend.

What gives?
Mike

San Diego, CA

#7 Aug 30, 2007
Wow..... what a unhappy bunch.=/

It could be worse you know....
maybe Crennel is going to call up Philcox or Zeier.... ask them to come back. I hear Spergon Wynn is still available.

It'll likely be Frye, Quinn, Dorsey.
Anderson.... will likely be cut... or if Savage is smart he'll try to trade him for a draft pick with a QB needy team (Atlanta).

Speaking of players who went before their time....
Eric Turner. He was awesome.
John

AOL

#8 Aug 30, 2007
I don't know if I would want to be the QB of the Browns!! I mean if one looks at the line we have had to deal with and lack of running game the QB is the guy with a bulls eye on his chest!!! They think that just because they give the QB a lot of $$$ he has to take a beating!!

I don't think we have seen enough of Charlie Frye to make a proper decision!! He's had 3 offensive coordinators (that is offensive in itself), a poor line to protect him and a running game that went nowhere!! Finally the guy has a line to play behind and they want to make a QB change!!

How about the fact that Frye's stats are up there with Peyton Manning at the same juncture in their careers! For crying out loud, give the kid a chance!!

And as for Romeo, I liked you a lot but have lost faith in his coaching abilities, and the inability to make a decision. Coyness will only carry one so far, and I don't thing that is what he is doing, I don't think he can make up his mind! I mean here is a guy that thought Maurice Carthons play calling was good!!! That says it all for me!!
Nick

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#9 Aug 30, 2007
Mike wrote:
Wow..... what a unhappy bunch.=/
It could be worse you know....
maybe Crennel is going to call up Philcox or Zeier.... ask them to come back. I hear Spergon Wynn is still available.
It'll likely be Frye, Quinn, Dorsey.
Anderson.... will likely be cut... or if Savage is smart he'll try to trade him for a draft pick with a QB needy team (Atlanta).
Speaking of players who went before their time....
Eric Turner. He was awesome.
I could actually see them trading Frye just so that in case he would start to have a breakout year it would make it harder for them to get Brady Quinn in...
George

Columbus, OH

#10 Aug 30, 2007
The QB problem started when Frye was chosen in the 3rd round a few years ago. There is no veteran to help the future QB, Quinn along. The closet thing to that is Ken Dorsey and he's not an option unless Frye, Anderson and Quinn get injured. AND that, my friends, is possible with this version of the orange helmets.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#11 Aug 30, 2007
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
I could actually see them trading Frye just so that in case he would start to have a breakout year it would make it harder for them to get Brady Quinn in...
Well..... I could see that. Frye is probably worth more to another team to be honest. I think other coaches would be more willing to take a chance on him. And I could also see that for that reason that you gave.... and if Frye had a breakout year.... the Browns would find themselves in a similar spot as the Chargers were 2 years ago..... Brees being a pro-bowler and a $40 mil Qb sitting on the bench. They traded Brees, got Merriman and Castillo in the first round the next year, and had Phillip Rivers (who, like another Schottenheimer QB, has an odd delivery) step up and make the pro-bowl in his first year.

I just see the team keeping Frye due to his local boy status. They've targeted a lot of kids who have local roots. On the flip side.... Anderson was one of Savage's selections from when he was with the Ravens.

In the end.... can you justify keeping 4 QB's?(I would say for the Browns since '99.... yes)

Which loyalty counts more?....
Chudzinski's with Dorsey as a former Hurricane?
Savage's with Anderson as a draftee from Baltimore?
Frye's connection to the area as a NE Ohioan?

I don't know their contract figures.... but none of them are probably serious financial considerations relatively speaking.

Either way..... week 6 is the deadline. I'd want the roster spot for Short, Clifton, Griffin, Barclay, or Harrison. In the long run.... might be worth keeping a 4th QB as trade bait though.
Randy from Lyndhurst

AOL

#12 Aug 30, 2007
I cannot believe I am seeing debates over whether to keep Dorsey or Anderson-two guys who won't be in the league next year.

To think I had to listen to people call talk shows earlier this year touting Anderson. He's a total stiff, moves like a giraffe, and crumples like a bannana peel when hit. He'd go down with an injury off the shoot if he played, he's weak and with zero leadership ability. Give me a break with talk of his "big arm". Cut that big dorky stiff NOW-and for those of you who would argue this elementary point, wait and see what his career in the NFL becomes after the Browns cut him.

A draft pick for Derek Anderson.....there isn't a team in the league (Atlanta included) that would give more than a stale donut for his services. Get real people.
Mike

San Diego, CA

#13 Aug 30, 2007
Randy from Lyndhurst wrote:
I cannot believe I am seeing debates over whether to keep Dorsey or Anderson-two guys who won't be in the league next year.
To think I had to listen to people call talk shows earlier this year touting Anderson. He's a total stiff, moves like a giraffe, and crumples like a bannana peel when hit. He'd go down with an injury off the shoot if he played, he's weak and with zero leadership ability. Give me a break with talk of his "big arm". Cut that big dorky stiff NOW-and for those of you who would argue this elementary point, wait and see what his career in the NFL becomes after the Browns cut him.
A draft pick for Derek Anderson.....there isn't a team in the league (Atlanta included) that would give more than a stale donut for his services. Get real people.
Dorsey is probably going to stay. This team isn't going to go without 3 QB's on the depth chart. No way.

Anderson does have a good arm. As for his mobility... he's a little more mobile than Bernie was. He sure as heck isn't on Bernie's level in the mental part of the game though.

Anderson will probably be cut... and some team will likely pick him up as a 3rd QB. It'd be nice to even get a 7th round pick for him though. You have to admit that. Heck.... I'll take a 7th round pick for the ball boy if some team is willing to cough one up. As for Frye.... if he was so much better, how come he did not clearly separate himself from Anderson in the off-season? It took THIS LONG for him to finally edge ahead of a guy who merits your description above? That's not a good sign for Frye.

AT ANY RATE..... Frye will be the starter at the beginning of the season. Where things go from there... who knows. If he plays decent, cool. If not.... I doubt Crennel and Savage will hesitate to send in Quinn after 5 or 6 weeks if Frye tanks on them. They would have to be nuts though to only go two deep though. With Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England in the first five weeks?.... no way. Too much risk of Frye getting slammed (especially if he continues to take hits like that one he took while scrambling in the first drive of the Denver game.... OUCH).

I think I'm being realistic in saying all that.
Jimgreen

Riverside, CA

#14 Aug 30, 2007
If DA is cut I have one word of advice for the Squealers--- For your own good and whatever you do DON"T HURT FRYE!!! Intercept him, chase him down but sack him gently. Lay him down softly. You don't want Frye to twist an ankle and Quinn to start throwing touchdowns downfield.
Josh

Corning, OH

#15 Aug 31, 2007
Defense is the name of the game... All Frye needs to do is manage the game. The field position (thanks to special teams and the D) against the Bears' JV unit was FANTASTIC. Very nice to see. The Browns will win an extra 2-3 games if they can just win the battle of field position. The QB doesnt need to win or lose games this year.

That said, it's such a tease to watch Frye and Anderson suck for a quarter, then see the Golden Boy come in and shred defenses. I hope it only lasts a few games.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ken Dorsey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brandon Weeden starts for 2012 Cleveland Browns... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Geicofarts 7
News Jake Delhomme to Browns: It's not as bad as you... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Concerned Clevela... 5
News It's a new era for the Cleveland Browns, and on... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Simple 2
News Browns' Crennel still fighting; Quinn punc... (Dec '08) Dec '08 grim reaper 2
News Scouting the Cleveland Browns (Dec '08) Dec '08 AtownBrown 1
News UConn's Brown names Big East offensive player o... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Nemesys 1
News Takeaways: Ryan impresses, Manning throws 3 TDs (Dec '08) Dec '08 JenniferInSC 1
More from around the web