Quinn tackles spotlight

Quinn tackles spotlight

There are 11 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 5, 2007, titled Quinn tackles spotlight. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Browns practice was lined with media Friday -- about 100 strong. All to watch a one-hour workout of rookies in shorts without pads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Former Brown Fan 1995

Butler, OH

#1 May 5, 2007
I don't understand the hype behind Brady Quinn. Other than he is from Notre Dame and can "handle the media", why does anyone think this KID can play in the NFL. I think this is a waste of a draft pick. All I see in this KID is that he can take a beating because the overrated team he played on (overrated because of the weak schedules; and the beatings those teams took when they played quality teams) couldn't block anyone. I hope for the Browns sake I am wrong. I certainly don't want things to get worse for the Browns but the fact that we went down this same road with Charlie Frye 2 years ago doesn't give me much hope. I do agree that Joe Thomas was the only choice for the Browns in the first round (good job Brownies!). Again I hope I am wrong but I really think Quinn is an overrated pretty boy. I just don't get the craze over this BOY. And if he is going to be the next Browns flavor of the week, please trade Charlie to a good team so he can have a shot at a career instead of ruining it like Couch, Droughns, Dilfer and the number of other players this team gets, can't use, bad mouths, then cuts loose. What an organization!!!!!!
Mike

Boston, MA

#2 May 5, 2007
I agree. I don't see the difference between Quinn and Couch. Somebody please educate me. Is it the Weis-ND thing? If so, they never beat any other big-time programs.
ramon

Canton, OH

#3 May 5, 2007
The only difference I see is hopefully none of our quarterbacks will have to run as hard for their lives as in the past going back to 86. (the last year we had an O-line) If indeed our line is as improved as claimed, then we can tell what we really have at the quarterback position.

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#4 May 5, 2007
Guys, you won't need to worry about Quinn being another Tim Couch.

Couch played in a "dink and dunk" shotgun offense in Kentucky. Brady Quinn played in an NFL-style offense at Notre Dame and was tutored by a guy (Charlie Weis) who won a Super Bowl ring as an Offensive Coordinator.

Quinn is also stronger and faster. He is known for being a strong leader in the huddle and not crying after games.(Not to rip on Couch because he really did have garbage around him here.)

Quinn's Notre Dame teams lost games against good teams because their defense was subpar. Most of those games were high-scoring shootouts. I'd blame Quinn if he played defense, but he doesn't. Despite that, he never ripped his defense or anyone else on his team.

Couple Quinn's superior skills and knowledge with a better offensive line and running back, and it should be a recipe for success.
TAA

Akron, OH

#5 May 5, 2007
I've never seen so much hype on draft day than I've seen for Brady Quinn. Ever. There have been some tremendous athletes whom for the most part never got a "whiff" of being mentioned but only briefly. I am not sure why the media pushed this kid so hard and its not his fault. I almost feel sorry for him that he has been "Packaged,Marketed & Sold" like no other player we have seen but yet there is a reason of his downword spiral in the draft that only the NFL Scouts know but wont speak on. Seems to be more of a Crennel & Weiss/ND thing going on here. He may turn out great and hopefully so. Also Someone mentioned earlier that Savage gave up next years first round pick to get Quinn..but they forget to say that Savage followed up with those comments stating the 2008 draft would be a poor draft. The Browns continued focus should be builing the O-Line and the D-Line.
Tay

Hubbard, OH

#6 May 5, 2007
I don't know who is more over hyped Quinn or Weis?All I know is that Bledsoe was the starter with Weis & he wasn't puttting up great numbers.Tom Brady might have been a 6rd.pick but he has tremendous skills.The key to Quinn development is if he can watch a learn as a back up.Look at the QB from last years [email protected],Matt [email protected] & Young with the Titans.Denver & Airzona have a better offense then the Browns but they QB's made alot of mistakes.Young did too but his running ability when the play broke down enable him to win some games.To start Quinn because some what annointed him the face of our franchise isn't been fair for the young man we are setting him up to fail.I also see similar comparison with Tim C. & Quinn each 1 threw for a lot of yards & TD's mostly because their teams were so far behind that they had to play catch up so i'm not impress with his stats.I do hope Quinn becomes a solid QB for the browns but it's like a coin flip.I just flipped a coin it came up tails I guess Quinn's a bust.Oh well we can always try again next year right?No I forgot we traded our 1st rd.pick next year.I guess the answer to my 1st question about who is more over hyped will be answer soon enough.Let's watch what Quinn does & how well Weis ND QB performs.By the way does anyone remember Rick Mirer?Just asking.
Tim Chippewa Lake

Canton, OH

#7 May 5, 2007
Brady,Brady,Brady sounds like a Brady Bunch flashback. I wish the media and the fans would focus on important things.Such as BIG JOE if i recall he was the #3 pick.He just bolstered our line with the free agents we picked up the line looks good.How about Eric Wright a very good cb which we greatly needed.We picked up some good late round players lets start hearing how these other guys are doing.Right now charlie is our qb so lets focus on some of these other players.
Akron

Canton, OH

#8 May 5, 2007
I haven't completly given up hope on Charlie Fry as the Browns QB. Remember when San Diego had Drew Brees as the starting QB for a couple of years. He wasn't performing, they then drafted Philip Rivers. Rivers pushed Brees to become a pro bowl QB. And now they are both successful NFL QBs. Crennel says that Quinn will have to take the starting spot from Fry. Fry is a competetor, and with the improvements on the offenseive line, there is a chance he might shine this year. Then in a couple of years, the Browns might have a tough decision to make, assuming Quinn improves also.
Vintage74

Youngstown, OH

#9 May 5, 2007
I know it's hard, but if we (Browns fans, not FORMER Browns fans) don't get behind this team, they are never going to turn it around. The team feeds of the negativity that floats over this town, we need to turn that around.

After all the crap and fluke injuries we have watched the last 7 years it's hard not to be skeptical, I know, believe me, I know. Just think of it this way, when was the last time we had any national (media) hype? I'd venture to say not since the Kosar days.

Let's turn it around. The team is trying to, I really believe they are.

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!
Josh

AOL

#10 May 5, 2007
Atta boy Vintage...get em straight. This franchise hasnt been legitimate since the late 80's (no, Testeverde and Leroy Hoard dont count). We're finally headed in A direction...doesnt even have to be the "right" one, just having one is nice.

Comparing Charlie Frye to Drew Brees is not only a stretch, but downright irresponsible. Brees was a Heisman candidate, a Big Ten record holder, and made Purdue look like a real football program for a few years (Joe Tiller gives thanks to a golden statue of Brees every morning before he goes to work).

I cant BELIEVE no one is talking about Wright, who SHOULD have been a 1st rounder but fell because his roommate was dealing drugs??? That's divine intervention, getting 3 first round talents in one draft. Maybe the tide is turning in Browns town!!!
Jeff

AOL

#11 May 6, 2007
What people need to remember is how much the current North Carolina Tar Heel coach set this franchise behind. His draft picks, especially of the prime first-round variety, were horrible. When that happens, year after year, while other NFL teams are scoring big with first-round picks, depletes your talent pool for the following three to eight seasons. But there is nobody to blame but the suits who run the organization and gave the keys to the car to a college coach who was a great recruiter, but not much of a talent evaluator -- and even less of an NFL head coach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ken Dorsey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brandon Weeden starts for 2012 Cleveland Browns... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Geicofarts 7
News Jake Delhomme to Browns: It's not as bad as you... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Concerned Clevela... 5
News It's a new era for the Cleveland Browns, and on... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Simple 2
News Browns' Crennel still fighting; Quinn punc... (Dec '08) Dec '08 grim reaper 2
News Scouting the Cleveland Browns (Dec '08) Dec '08 AtownBrown 1
News UConn's Brown names Big East offensive player o... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Nemesys 1
News Takeaways: Ryan impresses, Manning throws 3 TDs (Dec '08) Dec '08 JenniferInSC 1
More from around the web