Jets to draft for offense? Not necess...

Jets to draft for offense? Not necessarily

There are 15 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 19, 2009, titled Jets to draft for offense? Not necessarily. In it, Newsday reports that:

During separate news conferences Friday, Jets brass said offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has been doing his own behind-the-scenes preparation for this weekend's draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“ALTERNATIVE NATION”

Since: Jun 08

Easley, SC

#2 Apr 20, 2009
Trade Thomas Jones and the 1st round pick to Kansas City for Larry Johnson and their 1st rounder. Draft Sanchez and let the chips fall where they may!!!
charleyjet

United States

#3 Apr 20, 2009
If they want to give Clemens a chance to succeed they need a big time deep threat at wide receiver.
James M Holmes

Broomfield, CO

#4 Apr 20, 2009
The Jets talk like they want to play "power football" - ie. tough D and running the ball - well if that is the case, they need to draft a bulldozer like Chris Wells @ 17...
David

Conway, SC

#5 Apr 20, 2009
I'm sorry, a defensive player should not even enter the equation in round 1. At WR, we have Jerricho Cotchery and a whole lot of question marks. At QB, we have a bunch of backups that someone will be turned into a starter. If offense isn't shored up with the first two picks, something is seriously wrong. Rex, you fixed your defense in free agency and really have neglected your offense. With what you have right now Rex, you better hope your defense can hold every opponent to 10 points or less, because I am not sure your offense can put up more than about 14.
Markstripes

Brockton, MA

#6 Apr 20, 2009
The Jets should not try to fill any specific positional need in the first round-- they should take the best player available, or consider trading down. Other than Crabtree, or Macklin, I am not sold on taking any other receiver at 17. If a top DE prospect, such as Jackson or Ayers is there, or a top back, such as Moreno is there, they should take them before someone like Harvin. Also, I think that there is no way that the Jets should take a QB, unless Sanchez falls to them. There is good depth at some of the skill positions, and the Jets could address some of those needs in round 2 or 3.
bob the draft master

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Apr 20, 2009
if the jets dont adress the passing game this is whats gonna happen. one trouble with the running game two defence on the feild to long........ the jets need to adress recievers.......... 1st and 2nd round. the draft is loded with talent at recievers so get them..... also te.
tyreek

Atlanta, GA

#8 Apr 20, 2009
I love how most jets fans want to get rid of players after just one year then when their are traded and you cry about why we trade him bla bla bla , all this dum talk trade clements , trade lowery , trade jones a bunch of bs . all this trade jusk is why we are in the situation we are in now
tyreek

Atlanta, GA

#9 Apr 20, 2009
The last time I checked clements did beat the stllers that year and alomost beat the ravens if not for all the droped passess and I dont think we will see that stupid predictable Offense we saw under mangini,
jetset

Burbank, CA

#10 Apr 20, 2009
Good chance Wells or Moreno will be there at 17...Take one! There will be good hands at WR at 52. Then address positions of need.
Buffalo Bills Fan

United States

#11 Apr 20, 2009
Jets are likely to draft to offend than draft for offense.

The new head coach will draft for defense first, which will kill any playoff chances for this year. Unfortunately it will lay the groundwork for a favorable future for the Jets.
tampajet

Sarasota, FL

#13 Apr 20, 2009
I believe they should trade the pick for Boldin or Edwards in that order.If they keep the pick take Tyson Jackson the LSU end and take a reciever with the second round pick.The only top WR is Crabtrie the other top 6 are about even.I believe the QBs in the draft are not better than what we have now.not yet they are all projects.Take Jackson he can play with the Big cat and latter replce him.

Since: Oct 07

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Apr 20, 2009
Unless the player that we covet is still available at #17 I believe we should move down a few spots and pick up an extra pick. Then, if there is a player that we REALLY want in the second round we should move up by using that extra pick or by using a later pick. We should NOT move up in the first round.
venom

Albany, NY

#15 Apr 21, 2009
John Gottis Corpse wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, gotta get a receiver who's at least 6'3". Then he'll make the other receivers more valuable. Think about what Keyshawn did for Chrebet.
I think it was more the reverse with Chrebet in the slot and C-Marty at RB Me-shawn thrived in that offense... last I check he never was a WR stat leader after leaving Jets even though he still had those gimme-the-darn-ball T.O. type rants with other teams
The Desertcat

Long Island City, NY

#16 Apr 21, 2009
If they are going to draft a receiver, after Crabtree, Britt would have to be next - 6'4", 215 lbs, and a monster over the middle of the field - very few college players can attest to that.
joe

Bethpage, NY

#17 Apr 21, 2009
richie from UPS says they should draft a wide receiver maybe Britt

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kellen Clemens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rivers Leads Chargers To Rout Of Jets (Oct '14) Oct '14 Streetfarter 1
News Former Browns QB Kosar believes he's been fired... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Brown Flushdown 1
News Rams' Kellen Clemens is wary of 49ers (Dec '13) Dec '13 Fartastic 3
News St Louis Rams Pulling Out All Of The Stops (Nov '13) Nov '13 Jpram 1
News Percy Harvin ruled out, is it best to wait unti... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Is Brett Favre coming back to the NFL? (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Report: Rams Called Brett Favre About QB Job (Oct '13) Oct '13 changing times 2
More from around the web