With Cutler a Bear, Jets' QB situatio...

With Cutler a Bear, Jets' QB situation status quo

There are 21 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 2, 2009, titled With Cutler a Bear, Jets' QB situation status quo. In it, Newsday reports that:

Kellen Clemens said he doesn't watch much television. "Maybe a good Western every once in a while," the quarterback added with a smile Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Markstripes

Brockton, MA

#1 Apr 2, 2009
I'm glad that the Jets did not make an outrageous offer like the Bears. I look at the teams that have had success such as the Patriots, the Steelers, and ask myself whether they would have offered two #1 picks, a pretty good player, as well as a #3 pick for Cutler-- the answer is clearly no. The Jets would be better served to see what they have in house and put some solid weapons around them. Clemens and/or Ratliff deserve a chance.
U r not so smart

Bangkok, Thailand

#2 Apr 3, 2009
The Jets have a lock on last place.
thegreatone-99

West Nyack, NY

#3 Apr 3, 2009
The Jets are a day a late, and a dollar short again. Are we gonna here all year and the next 15 years how close they were to acquiring Cutler, like Brett Favre. This is the story of the Jets for the last forty years! So Jets fans come on over to Big Blue, we are the team in this town always have always will and we are loaded for another Super Bowl run!
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

Bristol, PA

#4 Apr 3, 2009
It's disturbing to think that the Jets would even get involved in trying to get that head case, Cutler. It looks like the next step is drafting a QB even though they say that they're happy with Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge. How much is the PSL dilemma a factor in making a splash at QB?
Tim

California, MD

#6 Apr 3, 2009
What good would paying a fools ransom for Cutler have done, if the Jets don't have anyone for him to throw it to? Mike T. has done a great job as Jets G.M. He's setting this team up right. They'll be fine without the vastly overrated Jay Cutler. We're all about to see him do absolutely nothing for the next couple of years with the Bears.
Jack The Cabbie

New York, NY

#7 Apr 3, 2009
U r not so smart wrote:
The Jets have a lock on last place.
And you have a lock on being a moron. With the new Jets coach, I have a feeling that once he takes a look at Clemens and Ratliff, he will chose Ratliff. I think he has better mobility and better smarts. And I know he only played pre-season, but I think Ratliff has the potential of being a great QB. The Jets would have given up too much to get Mr. Whiner...er I mean Mr. Cutler. Let's see when he has some bad for Da Bearsss, how he will handle the media!!
EricDVM

Bronx, NY

#8 Apr 3, 2009
Has anyone recognized what a class act Clemens has been through this whole off-season? He's actually used the QB soap opera as a motivational tool and actually made a point that he understands that the Jets want to improve in every position. He gets points in my book for the way he handle the "ordeal."

Cheers!
Doug

Olney, MD

#10 Apr 3, 2009
I'm glad did not pay the high price. The rest of the team would have suffered by losing all of the picks and bringing in a crybaby. Clemens or Ratty will do the trick. Pick an O lineman, a receiver and let's play some football.
pound4pound

Chesterfield, MO

#11 Apr 3, 2009
I wish we had made the deal. I know 2 firsts is a huge price to pay, but thereís no more important position in sports than NFL QB. Itís the only position in football that you use any means possible to fill. And we had a shot to get a 25-year-old whoís passed for over 8000 yds in his first 2 full seasons, and whoís both accurate and strong-armed. As Len P pointed out on ESPN, thereís never been a QB quite like him whoís become available via trade.

Of course, he has his risks. Heís thrown a lot of INTís, though thatís not uncommon among young QBís. As far as his personality, Cutler handled the situation with McDaniels like a child, and he might be a jerk. Thatís all true. But how much does that really matter on Sundays? No one says he doesnít work hard and prepare well for games. And I donít remember his OL and WRís ever not playing hard for him, which did happen with Jeff George, who Cutler has unfairly been compared to.

Bottom line: it was a big risk, but you donít win SBís without hitting on a couple of gambles along the way. If we come away with a QB in this draft, or if Clemens or Ratliff develops into a solid starter, this is a moot point. But if not, weíre going to wonder what might have been.
Ribeye

Mineola, NY

#12 Apr 3, 2009
pound4pound wrote:
I wish we had made the deal. I know 2 firsts is a huge price to pay, but thereís no more important position in sports than NFL QB. Itís the only position in football that you use any means possible to fill. And we had a shot to get a 25-year-old whoís passed for over 8000 yds in his first 2 full seasons, and whoís both accurate and strong-armed. As Len P pointed out on ESPN, thereís never been a QB quite like him whoís become available via trade.
Of course, he has his risks. Heís thrown a lot of INTís, though thatís not uncommon among young QBís. As far as his personality, Cutler handled the situation with McDaniels like a child, and he might be a jerk. Thatís all true. But how much does that really matter on Sundays? No one says he doesnít work hard and prepare well for games. And I donít remember his OL and WRís ever not playing hard for him, which did happen with Jeff George, who Cutler has unfairly been compared to.
Bottom line: it was a big risk, but you donít win SBís without hitting on a couple of gambles along the way. If we come away with a QB in this draft, or if Clemens or Ratliff develops into a solid starter, this is a moot point. But if not, weíre going to wonder what might have been.
It was alot more than 2 1st round picks..It was also a 3rd round pick. This would have been suicide to give all that away for a cry-baby hillbilly. Besides, he is awful to look at.
joel

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Apr 3, 2009
put the jest down for 5 wins.
Brett F

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Apr 3, 2009
What are the Jets going to do with all those #6 jerseys they made.....they are still on the hook for 500,000 #4's in storage.
Ben

Montrťal, Canada

#15 Apr 3, 2009
Chicago Cubs and NY Jets, 2 choke team lol
Ribeye

Mineola, NY

#16 Apr 3, 2009
Ben wrote:
Chicago Cubs and NY Jets, 2 choke team lol
Montreal..Home of Liberal garbage, trannnny's and french low-lives!

Thank you!
theFinn

Troy, NY

#17 Apr 3, 2009
JACK THE CABBIE:

You are so right! Brett Ratliff is indeed going to be a great quarterback!

In preseason last year, he looked like a young Tom Brady.

In the training camp/preseason competition, Ratliff is going to roll over Kellen Clemens. It's not even close.

And put that in the bank!
thegreatone-99

West Nyack, NY

#18 Apr 4, 2009
Jack The Cabbie wrote:
<quoted text>And you have a lock on being a moron. With the new Jets coach, I have a feeling that once he takes a look at Clemens and Ratliff, he will chose Ratliff. I think he has better mobility and better smarts. And I know he only played pre-season, but I think Ratliff has the potential of being a great QB. The Jets would have given up too much to get Mr. Whiner...er I mean Mr. Cutler. Let's see when he has some bad for Da Bearsss, how he will handle the media!!
Ratliff? you watched the guy throw a few passes in preseason vs second and third team defenses and all the Jets fans think he is a pro-level winning qb? You Jets fans love the unproven backup qb Matt Robinson, Pat Ryan, Troy Taylor, Browning Nagle, Glen Foley, Brooks Bollinger any of those guys work out for ya?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#19 Apr 4, 2009
thegreatone-99 wrote:
<quoted text>Ratliff? you watched the guy throw a few passes in preseason vs second and third team defenses and all the Jets fans think he is a pro-level winning qb? You Jets fans love the unproven backup qb Matt Robinson, Pat Ryan, Troy Taylor, Browning Nagle, Glen Foley, Brooks Bollinger any of those guys work out for ya?
THey passed on Cutler to pick Cleamons. NOW their supposed to give TWO #1's and pick and a player for a guy upset about RUMORS of his traded.
How the heck was Cutler going to handle the NY media where he could get 40 questions about EVERY interception he throughs after every game. a gunner is not needed. Last year Chad couldn't clearly beat out Clemeons. As the veteran he should have been able to, which is why Chad was released.
News12

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Apr 4, 2009
Best non move of the decade. No way this kid could handle the NY media or fans. He would have cracked after 1 bad preseason game. They can draft Sanchez or Freeman if they want to add another QB to the mix. They wasted last season by not finding out of these kids on the roster can play.
kelley

AOL

#21 Apr 4, 2009
News12 wrote:
Best non move of the decade. No way this kid could handle the NY media or fans. He would have cracked after 1 bad preseason game. They can draft Sanchez or Freeman if they want to add another QB to the mix. They wasted last season by not finding out of these kids on the roster can play.
how do you figure they wasted last season?
favre was a experiment to get rid of pennington,
happy feet clemens would have choked if he was
playing. and ratliff wasn't ready to play, in
fact ratliff could not read defenses last year.
i hope for the jets these 25 year (kids) as you
want to call them, are ready to step up to the
plate. time will tell if they are the next big
thing or another nagle.
News12

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Apr 4, 2009
kelley wrote:
<quoted text>
how do you figure they wasted last season?
favre was a experiment to get rid of pennington,
happy feet clemens would have choked if he was
playing. and ratliff wasn't ready to play, in
fact ratliff could not read defenses last year.
i hope for the jets these 25 year (kids) as you
want to call them, are ready to step up to the
plate. time will tell if they are the next big
thing or another nagle.
You answered your own question about wasting the season. You called it an experiment. Enough said! You don't "experiment" with a 40 year old quarterback that has no future on the team. If you are going to "experiment", do with a young quarterback that may have a future. They would know at this time. As of right now this year will be another experiment. If they knew these QB's couldn't do the job they could be better prepared for the draft. What do they do with their first round pick? If they knew the QB situation, they could fill other needs. As of right now they may have to use it on a QB that may not be any better then what they have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kellen Clemens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BC-FBN--Chargers-Rivers Injured,1st Ld-Writethru Nov '17 braddybonersfarts 2
News Rivers Leads Chargers To Rout Of Jets (Oct '14) Oct '14 Streetfarter 1
News Former Browns QB Kosar believes he's been fired... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Brown Flushdown 1
News Rams' Kellen Clemens is wary of 49ers (Dec '13) Dec '13 Fartastic 3
News St Louis Rams Pulling Out All Of The Stops (Nov '13) Nov '13 Jpram 1
News Percy Harvin ruled out, is it best to wait unti... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Is Brett Favre coming back to the NFL? (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
More from around the web