Jets deny report GM gave Favre 'month...

Jets deny report GM gave Favre 'months' to decide

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 1, 2009, titled Jets deny report GM gave Favre 'months' to decide. In it, Newsday reports that:

Even on Super Bowl Sunday, Brett Favre made news. Sports Illustrated's Peter King, speaking on NBC 's pregame show early yesterday afternoon, reported that Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum had his first ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Feb 08

New Port Richey, FL

#1 Feb 1, 2009
They need to let Brett leave. Retire or release, but lets not be held hostage by the ego that held Green Bay hostage for three seasons before he got to NY. He will not participate in off-season activities. He has not in Green Bay and he won't in NY. End the mystery, let him go his own way.
Mike

Medford, NY

#2 Feb 2, 2009
Well .. maybe that was Favre's "Initial Reaction", that he needs month's to decide ? Would'nt that be typical Brett Favre? It's always about him and not the team !
charleyjet

United States

#3 Feb 2, 2009
You know King's getting this straight from Favre.
Justin

Great Neck, NY

#4 Feb 2, 2009
Why is one of the choices in the poll to draft another QB in stead of trying Brett Ratliff? This guy seemed to be pretty good during the 2008 pre-season. Why not give him a chance if Favre retires? Who writes these polls any way?
Jet Fan in SC

Bostic, NC

#5 Feb 2, 2009
Four QB under contract? WHY, more of Mangidiot ball? Tannanbaum is an idiot.No wonder they are over cap!
Lets hope Ryan gets this mess sorted out and gets some players that are sorely needed like a pass rusher and defensive back.
Jay

United States

#6 Feb 2, 2009
this selfish sob favre needs to go back to mississippi. retire already. they'll still let he and that large head of his into canton. at least we wouldn't have to hear about him for a few years.
JFC

New York, NY

#7 Feb 2, 2009
Why oh why are we cow towing to this over aged qb? He is holding us hostage. Cut him, and and cut him now.

Sign Cassel
or
Get that guy Ratliff back in the mix
or
Bundle a trade package of Radliff and Clemens and Nugent and throw in Barret for a high pick and grab a qb

We have a new coach and next year a brand spanking new stadium. It is time for a real team.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#8 Feb 2, 2009
Cassel has the franchise tag with the Pats and is not going anywhere. YOu don't spend that much money and give the team to a rookie QB.

Let the 3 QB's show what they have. Clemens in his 4th year should be ready.

Let Favre find a lake front porch to sit on somewhere and move on.....
TnJetsFan

Johnson City, TN

#9 Feb 2, 2009
It would be just like the Jets to step on their own toes, when dealing with a player that is clearly finished. Just make a stand and tell Favre if he wants to play that he can be given his release. I don't see how Clemens or Ratliff can do any worse than Favre did down the stretch. In fact with an improved defense the Jest would be better off offensively with a game manager - not some hot shot over the hill gunslinger.
Observer

New York, NY

#10 Feb 2, 2009
all farve wants is a ticket to canton - he will use whatever is available to get it.
JFC

New York, NY

#11 Feb 2, 2009
Observer wrote:
all farve wants is a ticket to canton - he will use whatever is available to get it.
He already had it. Now he is only making people mad.
steve

Tampa, FL

#12 Feb 2, 2009
It wouldn't matter how long the Jets gave Favre to decide if they are planning to release him. I doubt they want him back.
superbowl3

United States

#13 Feb 2, 2009
Wood head is football-challenged owner. No matter what he says publically he'll let Farve blow off OTAs, strength and team building programs and walk in camp late. Then he'll proclaim Frave the 2nd coming and force Ryan to let Brat call his own shots. When the Frave fade starts in the 2nd half of 2009, Wood head will blame everyone else including Ryan and tell Jet fans to have patience its only the first year of a new regime. Brat Farve will blow the season, miss the playoffs and say he may not come back for the 3rd yr of his contract in 2010. Wood head will then say "We want you back, take your time deciding and let us know. We'll be the ones with our heads up our butts." Only a moron makes the same mistake twice. Hello Woody!
kelley

AOL

#14 Feb 2, 2009
superbowl3 wrote:
Wood head is football-challenged owner. No matter what he says publically he'll let Farve blow off OTAs, strength and team building programs and walk in camp late. Then he'll proclaim Frave the 2nd coming and force Ryan to let Brat call his own shots. When the Frave fade starts in the 2nd half of 2009, Wood head will blame everyone else including Ryan and tell Jet fans to have patience its only the first year of a new regime. Brat Farve will blow the season, miss the playoffs and say he may not come back for the 3rd yr of his contract in 2010. Wood head will then say "We want you back, take your time deciding and let us know. We'll be the ones with our heads up our butts." Only a moron makes the same mistake twice. Hello Woody!
Grow Up!!!!!!!!!!
superbowl3

United States

#15 Feb 2, 2009
kelley wrote:
<quoted text>
Grow Up!!!!!!!!!!
Sarcasm may be silly, but sometimes it's the only way to safely blow off steam. Like it or not the arguments are real. At Ryan's intro Woody said he wanted Farve back. In subsequent interviews Woody answered concerns about Farve delaying a decision and coming in late by saying that he came in late this uear and did okay. If you think fading late in the year and blowing payoffs is fine, then drink the coolaid, buy the #4 Jerseys and PSLs. And while you're at it, delay the development of a young QB like Ratliff, Clemens, Ainge or a draft choice in favor of a 40yr old former star who will cost us $13M on this years cap. Money better spent on free agents that can get us over the hump. Sorry, but I want this franchise to be a perenially winner and the way to do that is with smart football decisions. And the smartest decision now is not to let Farve's indecisiveness ruin our draft or FA acquisitions. Follow GB's lead and move on.
kelley

AOL

#16 Feb 2, 2009
i am not drinking any koolaid, I for one would
love to have favre come back.
that is if he truly wants to be here, and made
some effort to improve his playing performance.
I would pay to see favre go to all the training
camps, because i think he had a free ride in
green bay and did not care how played in green
bay and just played like he was sleepwalking over
there, because he was the franchise, and green bay
was afraid to say anything to him.
i think he would be great for the young guys, he
could give them advice and experience.
i think if he came back, he would play 100% better. and i think the jets should draft a qb,
who is say rex ryan wants clemens, ratliff or
ainge. those guys were drafted by mangini, ryan
probably wants his "own quarterback" not what
was left by mangini. I already bought my PSLs
so i will support the jets whatever happens.
this is just my opinion.
Dr Ed Norton

Rochester, MA

#17 Feb 3, 2009
Go for Matt Cassell. The Pats cannot affford to keep him. He is Brady #2.
New Yorker in Florida

United States

#18 Feb 4, 2009
kelley wrote:
i am not drinking any koolaid, I for one would
love to have favre come back.
that is if he truly wants to be here, and made
some effort to improve his playing performance.
I would pay to see favre go to all the training
camps, because i think he had a free ride in
green bay and did not care how played in green
bay and just played like he was sleepwalking over
there, because he was the franchise, and green bay
was afraid to say anything to him.
i think he would be great for the young guys, he
could give them advice and experience.
i think if he came back, he would play 100% better. and i think the jets should draft a qb,
who is say rex ryan wants clemens, ratliff or
ainge. those guys were drafted by mangini, ryan
probably wants his "own quarterback" not what
was left by mangini. I already bought my PSLs
so i will support the jets whatever happens.
this is just my opinion.
You may not have partaken of the Koolaid but one of your points seems to be defeated by your very next point.
How can you believe that the same player you say was uncaring for the franchise (that includes the city of Green Bay in my opinion) where he had all his glory - is now going to come back to NY and be an example for that franchise.
I think you may be wrong on both counts actually. I don't think he coasted on Green Bay. He plays every game every year and may believe in his own mind that he is better able to do so if he skips some team workouts, etc.
I doubt he can be a great example for the Jet players as there seems to be a number of players that respect his career a whole lot more than his current playing ability.
No ill will towards Brett - he is a hall of famer.
But enough is enough.
He should NOT be the one driving this decision.
If Jet management believe he is best option for next year then I doubt they have explored deeper than simply judging the dream of Favre returning to old glory vs. the current group they have to replace him. There must be better options. A better organization would look into trades and any other way to improve.
kelley

AOL

#19 Feb 4, 2009
New Yorker in Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
You may not have partaken of the Koolaid but one of your points seems to be defeated by your very next point.
How can you believe that the same player you say was uncaring for the franchise (that includes the city of Green Bay in my opinion) where he had all his glory - is now going to come back to NY and be an example for that franchise.
I think you may be wrong on both counts actually. I don't think he coasted on Green Bay. He plays every game every year and may believe in his own mind that he is better able to do so if he skips some team workouts, etc.
I doubt he can be a great example for the Jet players as there seems to be a number of players that respect his career a whole lot more than his current playing ability.
No ill will towards Brett - he is a hall of famer.
But enough is enough.
He should NOT be the one driving this decision.
If Jet management believe he is best option for next year then I doubt they have explored deeper than simply judging the dream of Favre returning to old glory vs. the current group they have to replace him. There must be better options. A better organization would look into trades and any other way to improve.
hello!!! we are talking about the jets here, we
are talking about a team with clemens and pennington were 4 and 12. i am not drinking any
koolaid, we were 8 and 3 until favre got injured
because the o line would not protect him.
even mangold said on jim rome we did not protect
brett. i like to see favre back for 1 more year,
with the same players, and see if the jets can
make it to to the playoffs. i think the media
makes up alot stuff about favre because they
hate him, and hope he fails. i am not looking for
former glory, but if warner can go to the superbowl in 2 years with the cardinals, so can
favre. about what you said about greenbay, i still
think he did not up his best in greenbay, he was
not getting along with people in the organization,
he got his 100 million, and put little effect into
his playing in greenbay, ever since holmgren left.
but hey who would call favre out in greenbay he is
the town's darling. in new york he is being called
out and being brought down to reality.
but thats my opinion like it matters for a jets
season ticket holder..
Greg Brady

New York, NY

#20 Feb 5, 2009
Dr Ed Norton wrote:
Go for Matt Cassell. The Pats cannot affford to keep him. He is Brady #2.
I dont even think Brady wants to return to the Pats. He is living la vida loca, dating and married to a super model and he blew off his ex who bore his child. Football would only get in his way, and worse, inhur him into retirement.

Brady should be praying to Mo Lewis, the patron saint of knocking Bledsoe senseless, who paved the way for Brady's career. I am not sure Bradyt is still professionally mature enough for his role.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kellen Clemens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rivers Leads Chargers To Rout Of Jets (Oct '14) Oct '14 Streetfarter 1
News Former Browns QB Kosar believes he's been fired... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Brown Flushdown 1
News Rams' Kellen Clemens is wary of 49ers (Dec '13) Dec '13 Fartastic 3
News St Louis Rams Pulling Out All Of The Stops (Nov '13) Nov '13 Jpram 1
News Percy Harvin ruled out, is it best to wait unti... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Is Brett Favre coming back to the NFL? (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Report: Rams Called Brett Favre About QB Job (Oct '13) Oct '13 changing times 2
More from around the web