Is Hines Ward a cheap shot artist

Is Hines Ward a cheap shot artist

There are 11 comments on the CBS SportsLine story from Oct 20, 2008, titled Is Hines Ward a cheap shot artist. In it, CBS SportsLine reports that:

Hines Ward blind sided Bengals rookie linebacker Keith Rivers with a hard block that broke his jaw and now he is out for the year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS SportsLine.

It is football

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Oct 21, 2008
He is the type of player you hate when he is on the othr team, but love him when he is on it.
Hines plays hard but clean every play. He is a great all around receiver.
Brandon in B-More

United States

#2 Oct 22, 2008
There is no way Hines is a dirty player. Keith Rivers is a rookie that learned quick to keep your head on a swivel(for his sake he better have). Let's not fault a player for being one of the best if not the best receiver laying blocks out there. He plays like the game is intended to be played and plays his heart and soul out on every play.
There it is

Ireland

#3 Oct 22, 2008
Any other player in the same position as Hines on the same play would have laid the guy out as well. Those are the moments that any player with a killer instinct lives for ...
zach

Jonesborough, TN

#4 Oct 22, 2008
no its football if theres no penalty its clean, he just plays hard
zach

Jonesborough, TN

#5 Oct 22, 2008
wuts he supposed to do, run up and just tap him?
victoria smith

United States

#7 Oct 22, 2008
i feel hines is being treated like he killed someone.football is a ruff tuff sport.there our plenty of players who have hit the steelers hard and hurt a few.but getting fined the way they our is a real shame.all i can say is don't hate.or should we play like we our playing tennis or baseball.IT'S ALWAYS THE STEELERS!!!!!!!!!

Since: Apr 08

Omaha, NE

#8 Oct 22, 2008
If the rook can't handle it, don't send him out on the playin' field. Cheap shot? Rivers wasn't paying attention...hense, he got hurt. Don't give me this crap about cheap shots. If you're up against Hines Ward...you MUST keep your head about you. If you don't...you loose teeth and get broken jaws.

My girlfriend knows this...and she's not even a football fan. This game is tough for a reason. It makes all of us...ALL OF US, that can't hit that hard anymore, remember what it was like to give it our all. Most of us, don't have those moments that you can give all your soul and effort into a single moment and have it come back and reward you.

Now...we have a player on our team that gives that much effort. That makes sure that the guy on the other side of scrimmage knows he's in for a helluva time.

Hense my point. If you can't play the game...or, you need an excuse to play healthy...you shouldn't be playing. The Kevin Curtis', the LT's, the Kevin Winslows of this league, perhaps should just retire with their millions and live in harmony.

But that's not how this game goes. Players WANT to win. They WANT to play. And they WANT to compete. And if they don't...then forget them. because they don't care enough about what the rest of us that root them on care about. Which is the immortal doctrine that says "forget the pain...play your heart out...and leave nothing left on the field."

LZ
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#9 Oct 23, 2008
LZ-Steel wrote:
If the rook can't handle it, don't send him out on the playin' field. Cheap shot? Rivers wasn't paying attention...hense, he got hurt. Don't give me this crap about cheap shots. If you're up against Hines Ward...you MUST keep your head about you. If you don't...you loose teeth and get broken jaws.
My girlfriend knows this...and she's not even a football fan. This game is tough for a reason. It makes all of us...ALL OF US, that can't hit that hard anymore, remember what it was like to give it our all. Most of us, don't have those moments that you can give all your soul and effort into a single moment and have it come back and reward you.
Now...we have a player on our team that gives that much effort. That makes sure that the guy on the other side of scrimmage knows he's in for a helluva time.
Hense my point. If you can't play the game...or, you need an excuse to play healthy...you shouldn't be playing. The Kevin Curtis', the LT's, the Kevin Winslows of this league, perhaps should just retire with their millions and live in harmony.
But that's not how this game goes. Players WANT to win. They WANT to play. And they WANT to compete. And if they don't...then forget them. because they don't care enough about what the rest of us that root them on care about. Which is the immortal doctrine that says "forget the pain...play your heart out...and leave nothing left on the field."
LZ
Hey LZ. These Bengals fans are so friggin' demoralized right now, all they can do is whine about Ward's hit, when they have a pretty amazing positive of their own in that department: they now have a runner who's so tough he made one Steeler break his arm and another get a concussion, on the same tackle! Of course, Benson's a bit of a head-case, and playing in Cincy doesn't appear to cure that sort of thing very well, but who knows? The Bungles may have gotten themselves a free-agent steal.

Monroe, LA

#10 Oct 23, 2008
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey LZ. These Bengals fans are so friggin' demoralized right now, all they can do is whine about Ward's hit, when they have a pretty amazing positive of their own in that department: they now have a runner who's so tough he made one Steeler break his arm and another get a concussion, on the same tackle! Of course, Benson's a bit of a head-case, and playing in Cincy doesn't appear to cure that sort of thing very well, but who knows? The Bungles may have gotten themselves a free-agent steal.
I agree...the guy's a beast. Its not like we need to worry about him later on in the year tho. He'll go scitzo in Cincy and probably end up taking a few other Bengals with him.

In honesty tho, are the other teams in this division so demoralized that they have to a) call a solid player who's made the pro-bowl almost every year a cheap shot artist...b) put a 'bounty' on a rookie running back and target him for injury ...c) blame a loss on a concussion, staph infections, and o-line injuries. Jeez..we have the biggest excuse to be a 0-6 team with all the injuries we've had. But we're not. We're 5-1. Something the other bottom dwellers in this division have seemed to forget. As Hines Ward said:

"Hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard".

LZ
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#11 Oct 23, 2008
LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree...the guy's a beast. Its not like we need to worry about him later on in the year tho. He'll go scitzo in Cincy and probably end up taking a few other Bengals with him.
In honesty tho, are the other teams in this division so demoralized that they have to a) call a solid player who's made the pro-bowl almost every year a cheap shot artist...b) put a 'bounty' on a rookie running back and target him for injury ...c) blame a loss on a concussion, staph infections, and o-line injuries. Jeez..we have the biggest excuse to be a 0-6 team with all the injuries we've had. But we're not. We're 5-1. Something the other bottom dwellers in this division have seemed to forget. As Hines Ward said:
"Hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard".
LZ
Excellent post, as usual.

Omaha, NE

#12 Nov 15, 2008
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post, as usual.
Rex...you have to give one thing to the Ravens...they're starting to build their team through the draft. Look at how well Baltimore is doing. The other teams in our division are beginning to understand the Steeler philosophy.

They're still far from perfect, but so are we. Quinn will be good. Not as good as Anderson was last year, but he'll be consistent. This year's Jon Kitna if you will. Flacco? Wow. We have a challenge now in this division...and you can be sure they're gonna be gunning for us in the draft. They're gonna give Joe more weapons and more big bodies up front to protect him. And we should do the latter as well.

We have the weapons NOW...we just need the protection. The Bengals? I don't think we have to worry about them for another 5 years. They're so messed up, its hard to imagine them ever appearing as their 2004 form.

The Clowns? Wait until next year...when Quinn gets replaced by a UDFA and then he sucks the next year. Its a cycle...the Browns will always suck.

In essence...We need to protect our QB with this year's draft. Do we honestly need another big WR? Big pounding RB? Another backup QB? We need #1...a good left tackle.#2...a good DE to back up Aaron Smith.#3...A CB to replace Bmac or Townsend...cuz one isn't gonna be here next year.#4...OG, a big guy to pick up the slack on the right side.#5...A FULLBACK!!!! I don't care what Arien's offense is, we NEED a fullback that CAN BLOCK.

Ok, that's my rant...I'm done.

LZ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keith Rivers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why the Buffalo Bills Could Be the NFL's Bigges... (Aug '14) Aug '14 dorispetersen 1
News New York Giants: Who Must Stay, Who Must Go for... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Pete 1
News NFL Power Rankings: Who's Worse? Cincinnati Ben... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Who Dey 5
News Ex-Trojan Rivers defends Carroll (Jun '10) Jun '10 Brew In 1
News Former Carman-Ainsworth football teammates Bran... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Caroline 1
News Pittsburgh Triumphant, Chick Ludwig Insane (Oct '08) Oct '08 SteelMan 2
News Ocho Cinco will stick with old jersey for season (Oct '08) Oct '08 yernogood 1
More from around the web