Falcons left with little -

Falcons left with little -

There are 4 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 28, 2007, titled Falcons left with little -. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Like a lot of people familiar with the NFL, I've always had a lot of respect for Rich McKay, the president and general manager of the Atlanta Falcons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

FootballFan

United States

#1 Aug 28, 2007
Peculiar article, especially after Joey Harrington had a great game against the Bengals last night- spreading the ball around to different receivers- something Vick never did. The Falcons' also have Norwood, a RB that showed lots of promise last year and could be as exciting as NO's Bush.
Bill Ordine wrote a very poor article. Instead of writing anything of substance, he just repeated what he probably overheard at the water cooler before his article deadline. Way to just phone it in.
virtueandvice

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Aug 28, 2007
Well Bill, let me help you along a bit here. For someone who claims to follow the league closely, you obviously haven't done much homework here (although you did mention Justin Blalock). First of all, Matt Schaub was traded before the whole Vick thing went down. He was entering the last year of his contract and was not going to resign once he hit the free agent market. The Falcons moved up two spots in the draft (taking DE Jamaal Anderson, one of the many young players you conviently forgot to mention) and a additional second round pick next year. At the time, a great move by Rich McKay that's so easy to cheap shot now.

Now, let me run a few names by you that you blatently omitted. Jarious Norwood is going to be a star back in this leauge for years to come, starting this season. Ovie Mughelli's name ring a bell for you? I think Norwood will be putting up some big numbers with this guy paving the way.
The offensive line does lack depth, I will give you that. Michael Jenkins and Roddy White have, by all indications, had excellent camps (although White did drop a TD pass last night) and Lauren Robinson is another name to keep an eye on at WR. Alge Crumpler isn't exactly 100 yrs old and Dwayne Blakley has played extremely well at TE when he has gotten on the field.

As for the defense, Jamall Anderson is a future sack machine. The defensive line as a whole has good young depth with Darrell Shropshire, Trey Lewis, Paul Carrington, Chauncey Davis, and Jonathan Babineaux. Nowhere did you mention LB's Michael Boley or Demorrio Williams in your piece. DeAngelo Hall is one of the best CB's in the game and UM's own Lewis Sanders is a vast improvement over Kevin Mathis. 2nd round pick Chris Houston will see the field this year and will start at corner by next season. Moving Jimmy Williams to safety (his natural and right position) adds depth and a playmaker to a weak spot on defense.

As for Joey Harrington, it's easy to take shots at him now. But who says he can't be one of many QB's whos career blossoms in his late 20's. Not saying it's going to happen, just seems a lot of quarterbacks develop late when forced to play too early.

It's so easy to write a piece like this with all that's going on with the Vick situation. Why don't you do some research and watch a game or two here and there before you jump in with all the rest of the average, uninformed regular Joe Fan out there that thinks because Vick is gone the Falcons are not going to win a game this year. There is pleanty of talent on this team and you give McKay and Bobby Petrino no credit. Shame on you!
Geo

Chicago, IL

#3 Aug 28, 2007
Congratulations to the Falcons on last night's win -- and the fact that it came on the heels of Vick's fluffed up speech made it all the more sweeter. It's very easy to stand up and deliver a rehearsed statement, as Vick did, without taking questions or otherwise allowing contrary dialogue. It appeared as if he actually stopped himself from smiling at several points, especially early on. A nervous smile, perhaps, but that, combined with the obviously scripted "talk from the heart" and outrageous lines like "I've found Jesus," ring disingenuous from a guy that just a few months ago was delighting in hanging, drowning, electrocuting and body slamming dogs to their deaths. But after lying for months, he now wants us to believe him. The "immature" theme of his remarks was equally offensive. Clearly he and his PR counsel are trying to write this whole thing off as a "youthful indiscretion." I wouldn't describe a 27-year-old man who hangs eight dogs from trees in his backyard, then steps back to watch them choke and die as "immature" -- I'd call him perverse, barbaric and sadistic. Fake contrition and smoke screens such as the "immature" defense will cause the public to dislike him even more. Six years of gambling, lies, torture and killing aren't magically purged from the soul of someone as evil as Vick from simply delivering a four-minute, one-sided chat. An ESPN poll yesterday found that 64 percent of 15,000 respondents said their opinion of Vick is unchanged after seeing his speech. 22 percent said they had a more favorable opinion; 12 percent said they had a more unfavorable opinion. With 76 percent saying their opinion of Vick is either unchanged or worse, it doesn’t appear his “found God” and other nonsense is playing as well as perhaps he and his handlers thought it would. He deserves nothing less than a lifetime ban from the NFL.
JFish

Kansas City, KS

#5 Aug 28, 2007
For the first time, Harrington is not expected to produce. I won't be surprised if he has a career year.

http://jfishsports.blogspot.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keith Brooking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dan Connor, Brodney Pool Added To The Growing D... (Mar '12) Nov '14 Flatulence Fred 4
News The Peyton Manning Effect: QB has made all of t... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Black Deal 2
News Five Broncons are Pro Bowl bound (Dec '12) Dec '12 BRONCONS 1
News Denver Broncos' coordinator Jack Del Rio showca... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Dick Shipley 1
News Keith Brooking Signs with Denver Broncos: Opini... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Karen 1
News Everything's On the Line for Cowboys Defense (Dec '11) Jan '12 Mit Wobet 4
News Romo's fault? Not totally, Cowboys teammates say (Sep '11) Sep '11 Itsfarts 4
More from around the web