Ohio.com - Browns have gaps to plug

Ohio.com - Browns have gaps to plug

There are 26 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Sep 27, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Browns have gaps to plug. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

BEREA: The Browns have returned to the days of ''gap integrity.'' That term was introduced to the populace in 1999 by Chris Palmer, coach of the expansion Browns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

San Diego, CA

#21 Sep 27, 2007
Randy from Lyndhurst wrote:
Thanks for beginning to point out the pathetic nature of the Crennel/Grantham defense. Doesn't it resemble the SAME soft line of defense we had when Crennel was defensive coordinator under Chis Palmer? Remember when the DB's lined up 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and were content to give up everthing and anything underneath? Of all teams, why couldn't the Browns see what the real Crennel was all about from the first experience?? Why didn't Savage ask him who his coordinators would be in the interview process-couldn't have happened as Crennel initially wanted to hire the lame Chris Palmer as his offensive coordinator. I cringed THE DAY Crennel was announced as Browns head coach, and he hasn't let me down.
Why now is Savage left off the hook? How much credit does one get in round one as a "guru" when he is picking in the top of the first round every year? Rather.......why can't more be written in analysis of his drafts beyond the first picks? His record is pathetic-he's the guy who hired Crennel, made lame picks for 3 years that resulted in cutting most of our picks on a team that should be accumulating second day picks, and the guy who is ill-prepared to handle any of the responsibilities as a GM and team leader. Want a few simple examples of his draft "proficiency?(this list could be pages-I follow the draft closely)-
1.) Why pass up offensive lineman year after year in rounds 2/3 and pick marginal players like Brodney Pool (first pick in round 2), Travis Wilson, DqWell Jackson, et. all???
2.) Why trade Faine ONLY for the privalege of moving to the top of round 2 and then tab an undersized squatty bowlegged middle linebacker like DqWell Jackson when we could have kept Faine and drafted Thomas Howard??? Mr. Howard has the size and athleticism we SHOULD have been seeking.
3.) How come we cut all of our mid round picks at key positions when GOOD teams KEEP their players who then contribute?? Roy Hall makes Indy as a 5th round pick........Jay Richardson makes Oakland's roster as a DE and starts while we cut Chase Pittman and Percile. On and on and on.
4.) 3 years into this and our defensive lineman are non-athletic, fat, and slow? Go back and look at all the missed opportunities to draft such along with all the defensive lineman Savage shuttled.(examples aplenty I can provide).
5.) Signing Gary Baxter for $30M (he was a stiff from the start) and letting Anthony Henry go?? Many more examples here.
It's TIME to turn the tables on Savage's pathetic continued talk of the past and onto HIS track record, which is now well established.
Let's get on with moving Crennel and Savage the heck out of here so we can begin the process of moving the Cleveland Browns forward. And please do what you can to ensure Randy Lerner doesn't hire novice naive boobs but experienced NFL caliber profesionals.
Darn right.
BIG DAN

AOL

#22 Sep 27, 2007
The Browns must aquire new and much much stronger,smarter,faster and stronger defensive players PERIOD. They also need to switch to a 4-3 on first and second downs or in shorter yarder downs. Todd Grantham is the Maurice Carthon of 07, hes sorta been getting a free ride for his porous Browns Defense. They resigned Grantham inorder not to loose him, but with his punk defense it makes you wonder why in the world did we give him a new contract with a raise?? No progress basically in 3yrs as coordinator. Maurice Carthon was run out of town because of bad offensive play and play calling. Well Grantham needs the same run out of town treatment if he doesnt get this teams asses in gear on defense! Lets not be biased whats good for the goose is good for the Grantham. Once again I am calling out Phil Sal-vage , I changed his name from savage to savage because theres nothing savage about this Browns defense . The defense plays more like junk from Fred Sanfords Sal-vage yard with its aray of banged up, obsolete in effective defenders who need to be tossed off this team and unto the salvage heep. Except Wimbley and a few others none of these guys deserve there pay checks based on such un NFL like defense. Surely there must be a way we can get players on the rise from other teams defenses who may be under the radar on the second team defense. I wish all the Browns players the best , and those really trying hard and succeeding thanks. I pray Kellen Winslow and Roye,McGinnest and company all get healed up 200% before Sunday. The Browns defense must also become a great blitz sacking machine often they blitz and dont get near the other teams QB. GO BROWNS yawl pissing me off but I love ya still:-) Peace to all my North Georgia Browns Backers who meet at Jocks and Jills in Norcross
SAM

United States

#23 Sep 28, 2007
A different Tony Z wrote:
Any Steelers fan that comes on here just to bash the Browns is a complete loser... yeah i said it LOSER! I'm tired of hearing the utter "We're good and you're not" elentmentary school yard B*LL SH!T that some of you reapeat day in and day out.
Last time I checked Akron is in Northeast OHIO. If you adore the Steelers so much then move to PA.
I have respect for some Steelers fans that moved here from PA for work or family but if you were born in OHIO and you're a Steelers fan you make me puke.
Oh and don't even cheer for the Tribe or the Buckeyes either. You have the Pirates and Penn State, you wagon jumping posers!
If you want to be separted by Browns - Steelers then leave the rest of our OHIO teams for us. We happen to love our Browns no matter what happens, even if that love is weakened due to dissapointment we'll always HATE THE STEELERS.
If you do cheer for them at any point then we don't need you in the first place.
I agree with you. Kick the S.O.B'S back to Pa.
TELL THEM WERE THEY ALL CAN GO.
GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!
F/U STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!
suz

Akron, OH

#24 Sep 28, 2007
I don't know about the Browns, but I see athletics as a way to "fix" the score: so someone who has weapons to "control" the human body can move the football players to either do well and succeed, or will "sink" them by causing them to trip, not throw well, etc.... no one knows this ...
Mike

United States

#25 Sep 28, 2007
How gives a hoot about these sports teams? I sure don't! I won't support any team where the cost of going to a game is about as much as I would make in a weeks worth of work..... Besides, I won't support anyone who is richer than I am.
Cobra3784

Forest Hills, NY

#26 Sep 29, 2007
The defense will be fine. The browns just could'nt fix everything this year. it seemed like they really wanted to shore up the offense and all the defense has to do this year is keep the team in the game and not lose it for them. Savage will take care of the defense in next years FA and draft

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kamerion Wimbley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wimbley: Roomto improve (Jan '13) Jan '13 dirtyfivethirty 1
News Cardinals vs. Titans: TV Schedule, Live Stream,... (Aug '12) Aug '12 samanta 1
News The modernization of the Raiders (Apr '12) Apr '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
News Raiders get a visit from linebacker Phillip Whe... (Mar '12) Mar '12 TexasRaider 1
News Oakland Raiders 2012 Draft Wishlist No. 3: NT N... (Mar '12) Mar '12 TexasRaider 4
News What are the Raiders up to? (Mar '12) Mar '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
News Raiders, Packers vying for same free agents (Mar '12) Mar '12 TexasRaider 1
More from around the web