Ohio.com - Browns have gaps to plug

BEREA: The Browns have returned to the days of ''gap integrity.'' That term was introduced to the populace in 1999 by Chris Palmer, coach of the expansion Browns. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Go Steelers

Dayton, OH

#1 Sep 27, 2007
Living in the past Cleveland? Worried about your 1999 team? Just as worthless now as you were then! Pack up and move to Canada or Mexico! Save the city the embarassment and disappointment.

Since: Aug 07

Augusta, GA

#2 Sep 27, 2007
I've been hoping to see more playing time for Thompson, so hopefully he can make a difference. Still not sure where we're gonna find someone for the line, though.
Dog

Akron, OH

#3 Sep 27, 2007
didn't they write this story last year and the year before that and so-on.
A different Tony Z

United States

#4 Sep 27, 2007
Any Steelers fan that comes on here just to bash the Browns is a complete loser... yeah i said it LOSER! I'm tired of hearing the utter "We're good and you're not" elentmentary school yard B*LL SH!T that some of you reapeat day in and day out.

Last time I checked Akron is in Northeast OHIO. If you adore the Steelers so much then move to PA.

I have respect for some Steelers fans that moved here from PA for work or family but if you were born in OHIO and you're a Steelers fan you make me puke.

Oh and don't even cheer for the Tribe or the Buckeyes either. You have the Pirates and Penn State, you wagon jumping posers!

If you want to be separted by Browns - Steelers then leave the rest of our OHIO teams for us. We happen to love our Browns no matter what happens, even if that love is weakened due to dissapointment we'll always HATE THE STEELERS.

If you do cheer for them at any point then we don't need you in the first place.

MDW

Since: Mar 07

Akron, OH

#5 Sep 27, 2007
"Browns have gaps to plug"

....yeah, like the defense!
GCVA

United States

#6 Sep 27, 2007
Our personnel of defense is thin and the decision on Brian Russell was in retrospect wrong. Thus when we have injuries at OLB we get no pass rush and doubleteaming on Wimbley. What will make a real difference is this year's free agency and draft moves relating to the DL. That in turn should help to free up the LBs to make plays. And Eric Wright should be much better with experience. The offense will just have to carry the team (with special teams) while the defense attempt to make gradual improvement until next year. I think we can do it, but next year will be the true test for the team (and Phil S.) Let's get Quinn in there and see some improvement over this year.
Dave M

Alto, NM

#7 Sep 27, 2007
I'm surprised you Steelers fans can even read -- Here's "your" teams sports page, go bother them you morons. GO BROWNS!
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#8 Sep 27, 2007
"Browns have gaps to plug".

What?!? Really?!?!! You don't say!?

Hey, can we get another obvious story written for later today -- or maybe tomorrow's paper? Here's an idea for a lead: "Browns Need To Play Better".
Vintage74

Cleveland, OH

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Maybe the NFL will grant RAC special dispensation to play 13 men on defense. We'd probably still give up a 27 yard screen pass on 3rd and 23. I can't believe at this point of the RAC regime that I am more concerned about the Defense than the Offense. I thought this was the guy who could field a good defense with anyone, even a WR playing CB.

Excerp from a 2005 Patriots team meeting:
Bellicheater: "Where's Romeo, we are out of DB's. What are we gonna do.?"
Mangini: "He's in the Cafeteria, it's Mr. Chicken day."
Bellicheater: "Put Troy Brown in at corner and get the photographer ready"

Par for the course with this team. If it's not one thing it's another. Wouldn't you love to see a game where all areas of this team performed together and we won oh say 34-10.
Joe Wedgie

Akron, OH

#10 Sep 27, 2007
Crennel, like Palmer in '99, is just a nice guy who can't head coach. He has no idea how to stop the 'runaway train'. He can't think outside the box, can't think creatively. Coaches all over the league do more successfully than our coaches, with less talent (Mangini last year, Sean Peyton last year) His players won't play hard for him. Why should they? If you could make the same pay whether you did your job well or not, how many of us would take the easy way out and still collect our checks? They say they play hard and love Crennel, but that's because they don't want their rich vacation in paradise interupted by the Browns bringing in a coach that will actually make them work for their pay and hold them accountable. Everyone loves a boss who is easy and soft. In another article, Nat Dorsey took responsibility for the blocked field goal. He said the coaches couldn't be harder on him than he would be on himself. What's sad is he's right. The coaches probably won't do anything at all. Their attitude seems to be 'Aw, lets leave him alone, he feels bad enough already. We'll ask him what he thinks his punishment should be.' Real coaches would make sure this wouldn't happen again.(playing time or pay cuts) The other players would also learn if they are similarly inept, their play time or paychecks will be equally adjusted. The time to feel bad and punish yourself should be over. I thought Crennel was the only logical hire at the time. Halfway through last year, I realized he didn't have it. Most of these posts seem to feel the same. Change isn't always good, but neither should Savage stick his head in the sand and 'hope' his head coach will suddenly 'get it'. It may also cost Savage his job.
Everyone in Akron

United States

#11 Sep 27, 2007
Man, Patrick McManamon is a terrible writer.
Siperbowl

Akron, OH

#12 Sep 27, 2007
hey, joe wedgie, great article. you should be writing for the beacon journal
Old Man Grump

Cleveland, OH

#13 Sep 27, 2007
From 1999 to 2007 shows zero Browns improvement.

Must be the Owner who can't figure out how to field a team that can make the playoffs and win games. He keeps hiring these loser coaches like Palmer & Crennel, and a bunch in between. The front office GM Savage sucks as well.

Give it up Browns fans. You will be losers forever.

GO STEELERS !!!
Fan 1

United States

#14 Sep 27, 2007
I'm sick and tired of seeing writers and "so called fans" post only negative aspects of a player's performance. Say for instance, one would have to really search to find the fact that Sean Jones led the team in tackles, broke up a touchdown pass, caused a fumble, and delivered several bone crushing hits during the Raiders game. It's no wonder that none of the Browns players are highly touted as Pro Bowl material. As usual, it takes analysts and spectaters outside of Ohio to recognize and see "THE WHOLE PICTURE" These unobjective articles should be against the law. Anyone can jump on the criticism band wagon, but it takes real character to report the whole truth. But that may affect ratings huh, Go figure!!!!
Mike

San Diego, CA

#15 Sep 27, 2007
I personally love this passage......

"While the Browns ponder the metaphysical question of whether they can beat the Baltimore Ravens without Kellen Winslow ''subluxation'' became the word of the day in Berea they also spent Tuesday pondering what to do about the defense.

The answer: Not much.

''We have to play better,'' Crennel said"

WOW....... What a GENIUS!

What would give you that idea Romeo?

Holy sh!t he is a friggin moron......
Fast Eddie

United States

#16 Sep 27, 2007
How about we go get a real coach and make Romeo the D. Coordinator. And please, get someone with some NFL coaching experience. Bill Cowher, perhaps?
Randy from Lyndhurst

AOL

#17 Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for beginning to point out the pathetic nature of the Crennel/Grantham defense. Doesn't it resemble the SAME soft line of defense we had when Crennel was defensive coordinator under Chis Palmer? Remember when the DB's lined up 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and were content to give up everthing and anything underneath? Of all teams, why couldn't the Browns see what the real Crennel was all about from the first experience?? Why didn't Savage ask him who his coordinators would be in the interview process-couldn't have happened as Crennel initially wanted to hire the lame Chris Palmer as his offensive coordinator. I cringed THE DAY Crennel was announced as Browns head coach, and he hasn't let me down.

Why now is Savage left off the hook? How much credit does one get in round one as a "guru" when he is picking in the top of the first round every year? Rather.......why can't more be written in analysis of his drafts beyond the first picks? His record is pathetic-he's the guy who hired Crennel, made lame picks for 3 years that resulted in cutting most of our picks on a team that should be accumulating second day picks, and the guy who is ill-prepared to handle any of the responsibilities as a GM and team leader. Want a few simple examples of his draft "proficiency?(this list could be pages-I follow the draft closely)-

1.) Why pass up offensive lineman year after year in rounds 2/3 and pick marginal players like Brodney Pool (first pick in round 2), Travis Wilson, DqWell Jackson, et. all???
2.) Why trade Faine ONLY for the privalege of moving to the top of round 2 and then tab an undersized squatty bowlegged middle linebacker like DqWell Jackson when we could have kept Faine and drafted Thomas Howard??? Mr. Howard has the size and athleticism we SHOULD have been seeking.
3.) How come we cut all of our mid round picks at key positions when GOOD teams KEEP their players who then contribute?? Roy Hall makes Indy as a 5th round pick........Jay Richardson makes Oakland's roster as a DE and starts while we cut Chase Pittman and Percile. On and on and on.
4.) 3 years into this and our defensive lineman are non-athletic, fat, and slow? Go back and look at all the missed opportunities to draft such along with all the defensive lineman Savage shuttled.(examples aplenty I can provide).
5.) Signing Gary Baxter for $30M (he was a stiff from the start) and letting Anthony Henry go?? Many more examples here.

It's TIME to turn the tables on Savage's pathetic continued talk of the past and onto HIS track record, which is now well established.

Let's get on with moving Crennel and Savage the heck out of here so we can begin the process of moving the Cleveland Browns forward. And please do what you can to ensure Randy Lerner doesn't hire novice naive boobs but experienced NFL caliber profesionals.
ken

United States

#18 Sep 27, 2007
Phil...Why would you give up on Brian Russel?....if it's not broke don't fix it. It is hard to Blame Romeo for everything as he sure has a lot of helpers messing up things.
Siperbowl

Akron, OH

#19 Sep 27, 2007
Randy wrote "It's TIME to turn the tables on Savage's pathetic continued talk of the past and onto HIS track record, which is now well established."

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this also, that savage blames past regimes, but his people have yet to prove anything for themselves (worse run defense ever). Just because you replace previous players, doesn't mean you're upgrading the team or that your players are better. Belichick used to get rid of previous players too (Kosar) without better players to replace them. his drafts also sucked. but that didn't mean his teams were better. the man could judge coaching talent, though. so many of the assistants he had here, went on to bigger and better careers.
I actually used to admire savage for being able to cut his own draft picks. i thought that showed the guts to admit you didn't draft the best player, that someone here was better, then, to move on for the good of the team. BUT, he has cut so many of his own draft picks, and what is here still can't do the job, now it makes me wonder if he has no idea what talent is, or he doesn't have the coaches to teach the players that have the talent. Either concept is a serious problem.

Since: Aug 07

Augusta, GA

#20 Sep 27, 2007
Fan 1 wrote:
I'm sick and tired of seeing writers and "so called fans" post only negative aspects of a player's performance. Say for instance, one would have to really search to find the fact that Sean Jones led the team in tackles, broke up a touchdown pass, caused a fumble, and delivered several bone crushing hits during the Raiders game. It's no wonder that none of the Browns players are highly touted as Pro Bowl material. As usual, it takes analysts and spectaters outside of Ohio to recognize and see "THE WHOLE PICTURE" These unobjective articles should be against the law. Anyone can jump on the criticism band wagon, but it takes real character to report the whole truth. But that may affect ratings huh, Go figure!!!!
You are right. So, on a positive note, while it is worrisome that Winslow might not be able to play, There's still plenty to look forward to at the TE position because Heiden is in there. I think he has to be the most underrated player on the team. He may not have Winslow's flash, but he can definitely block and catch and he does a decent job of getting open. I watched him at the Georgia Dome when we played the Falcons and that guy really made the difference for the offense.

If I remember correctly, the bright spot on the defense in that game was Leon Williams. He stuck to his assignment of keeping Vick behind the line of scrimmage, which shut down a big part of that offense.

And there's always special teams with Cribbs and all of the guys who throw the crucial blocks to give him space to run in.

As an overall assessment I would say that for so many of the Browns' losses in the last couple of years to have been by just one score, the team can't be as bad as they are perceived. close doesn't count in the final reckoning, but it does tell you that they aren't as far from being a winning team as everyone thinks.

So you're right, Fan. There';s still plenty to be positive about, and I'm not going to write off the season after only three games.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kamerion Wimbley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wimbley: Roomto improve (Jan '13) Jan '13 dirtyfivethirty 1
Cardinals vs. Titans: TV Schedule, Live Stream,... (Aug '12) Aug '12 samanta 1
The modernization of the Raiders (Apr '12) Apr '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
Raiders get a visit from linebacker Phillip Whe... (Mar '12) Mar '12 TexasRaider 1
Oakland Raiders 2012 Draft Wishlist No. 3: NT N... (Mar '12) Mar '12 TexasRaider 4
What are the Raiders up to? (Mar '12) Mar '12 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
Raiders, Packers vying for same free agents (Mar '12) Mar '12 TexasRaider 1