Black kickers a rare find

Black kickers a rare find

There are 13 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Nov 16, 2007, titled Black kickers a rare find. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

African-Americans rarely kick footballs. That is why Florida A&M senior kicker Wesley Taylor is surprised to see two -- not including himself -- in his conference.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

SerialOffender

Mount Dora, FL

#1 Nov 16, 2007
Why does it matter what color his skin is? This kind of journalism is what continues to fan the flames of racism.
wow

Leesburg, FL

#2 Nov 16, 2007
This was a waste....
Jax

Kissimmee, FL

#3 Nov 16, 2007
I agree. Who cares is right.
I M Sir Prized

Boca Raton, FL

#5 Nov 16, 2007
You would think with the big bootys some of the brothers got would make them stronger kickers. Let's face it most White Boys ain't got no back.
Blah

Brooksville, FL

#6 Nov 16, 2007
someone needs to do some real journalism...
REALITY

Tallahassee, FL

#7 Nov 16, 2007
Truth is, I am black and found this journal to be very interresting! I always wanted to be a kicker,but I played free-safety at Edgewater in Orlando. I played on one of the most dominating teams in the history of high school sports under Coach G. at Edgewater and it doesn't matter if the kicker is white or black, but I feel as though maybe this article will show the black youth that you don't have to be a running back, a wideout, a cornerback, but you can be a kicker if you choose to. You'll be considered a BLACK DIAMOND!
pudbert_Savannah GA

United States

#8 Nov 16, 2007
REALITY wrote:
Truth is, I am black and found this journal to be very interresting! I always wanted to be a kicker,but I played free-safety at Edgewater in Orlando. I played on one of the most dominating teams in the history of high school sports under Coach G. at Edgewater and it doesn't matter if the kicker is white or black, but I feel as though maybe this article will show the black youth that you don't have to be a running back, a wideout, a cornerback, but you can be a kicker if you choose to. You'll be considered a BLACK DIAMOND!
Isn't that the job of your mother & father? To tell you that you can be anything that you want to work hard enough to be?
Justice to all

Orlando, FL

#9 Nov 16, 2007
Better athletes would gravitate to the harder positions.
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Nov 16, 2007
Could it be that their shlongs are to long making it impossible for them to kick a football. Nahhhhhhhh.
Fantasyland

Titusville, FL

#11 Nov 16, 2007
White running backs a rare find.
Gatorsrulz

Beijing, China

#12 Nov 16, 2007
Brothers dominate at every other position. My Gators won the prize with a almost totally Black team including the QB.

You peeps need to chill.
why the

Winter Garden, FL

#13 Nov 16, 2007
overuse of the term african- american. there is no such thing. most blacks are here have been here for hundreds of years and then they arent even from africa...what about the people from the islands, or south america or maybe other countries. to blanket all blacks as african is moronic.
85 chs bear

United States

#14 Oct 26, 2010
im a black sophmore kicker at catholic high school
of baton rouge in louisiana and the thing is, sometime its peer pressure that also plays a major role,
at first it was hard for me because everyone was like you will never be a kicker/punter
kickers/punters arent black
but i practiced everyday,
and now im punting farther and high than i never thought i could and im kicking 54yrds with a hang time of aroung 4secs.
my field goals could never be better
.there are may black kickers n louisiana, but they have another position that there better so they choose that position n work on that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justin Medlock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fan Mailbag: Competition At Kicker? (Jun '10) Jun '10 Frank 1
News Chiefs notes: High praise for Bowe (Sep '07) Sep '07 harv 1
News Chiefs keep it close to vest (Sep '07) Sep '07 DFollmann 1
News Chiefs agree to deals with four players (Aug '07) Aug '07 KWChiefs 1
More from around the web