Bears' Orton wants to show 'what I ca...

Bears' Orton wants to show 'what I can still do'

There are 21 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 29, 2006, titled Bears' Orton wants to show 'what I can still do'. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Bears' Orton wants to show 'what I can still do' By K.C. Johnson Tribune staff reporter August 28, 2006, 10:45 PM CDT A year ago, Kyle Orton took nine snaps in the Bears' final exhibition game, his status as ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jerry

Eagle River, WI

#1 Aug 30, 2006
Of the 3 QBs (Grossman, Greise, Orton), only Orton is a proven winner. It has always been said that Grossman has potential, but he has never delivered. Greise can't keep a job and just keeps moving from team to team. Coach, do you have blinders on?
Brian

Florence, KY

#2 Feb 6, 2007
Bears deserve to loose for benching Orton... Who benches a guy with a winning record like that in his rookie year. A better rookie year than Manning and he doesn't get to play...
boilermaker

United States

#3 Jul 30, 2007
Kyle Orton is gonna have to wait until he's a free agent. Then he can go somewhere else and get playing time. Lovie Smith has something against Orton for some reason.
Jambo

Dallas, TX

#4 Jul 30, 2007
Ugh! Orton is 3rd string because he's the worst QB we have... sorry, but you guys are delusional. Orton holds onto the ball forever and rarely passes downfield. When he leaves the Bears you will probably never hear from him again. I'll take Grossman over Orton any day.
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#5 Jul 30, 2007
Jambo are you Bears 07? Joliet?

Remember the entire offense was new to the system in his rookie year. Some other post I read sounded good about combining Orton and Grossman for a perfect fit at qb. Grossman has the big play ability yet Orton manages the game better. He'd take a sack rather than toss it up.

My opinion...Id prefer Orton.
Bears 07

Leesburg, FL

#6 Jul 30, 2007
jerry wrote:
Of the 3 QBs (Grossman, Greise, Orton), only Orton is a proven winner. It has always been said that Grossman has potential, but he has never delivered. Greise can't keep a job and just keeps moving from team to team. Coach, do you have blinders on?
I'm not sure what you're reading pal but Rex Grossman has the second highest winning percentage in the NFL - second only to Tom Brady - so, no, Orton is not the only proven winner on the team.
Bears 07

Leesburg, FL

#7 Jul 30, 2007
VIKINGS_CHAMPIONSHIPS_0 wrote:
Jambo are you Bears 07? Joliet?
Remember the entire offense was new to the system in his rookie year. Some other post I read sounded good about combining Orton and Grossman for a perfect fit at qb. Grossman has the big play ability yet Orton manages the game better. He'd take a sack rather than toss it up.
My opinion...Id prefer Orton.
Thanks - way to not bring childish insults into it - and no taht is not me.

And I absolutely love this. SO... you don't want Rex, a QB that has the second highest winning percentage in the league, broke 7 franchise records, threw for over 3,500 yards, threw more TD's than INT's, has a QB rating of 72 and helped our offense manage over 30 points a game...

BUT you want Orton - a QB that actually DID have to be carried by the defense, that has some of the worst stats in the league for a QB with a winning record, averaged 1 to 2 TD's a game IF THAT, threw for more INT's than TD's, held our offense to averagine 12 points a game, and had a rating of 59, one of the worst ratings for a winning QB.

You guys talk about the defense carrying Rex and yet you vouch for a QB that ACTUALLY did ONLY win because of the defense...

interesting.

VikingChampionships - this is why I get upset. You make no sense.
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#8 Jul 31, 2007
Look Jambo....I mean Bears 07...

Grossman is an ok qb with flaws. I think Orton has a better upside. He's taller has a better arm and he played well for a TRUE rookie in the 1st year in Turneres offense. Speaking of shotgun thats all that he played in at Purdue.
Bears 07

Leesburg, FL

#9 Jul 31, 2007
VIKINGS_CHAMPIONSHIPS_0 wrote:
Look Jambo....I mean Bears 07...
Grossman is an ok qb with flaws. I think Orton has a better upside. He's taller has a better arm and he played well for a TRUE rookie in the 1st year in Turneres offense. Speaking of shotgun thats all that he played in at Purdue.
I'm not Jambo you moron - I don't even live in Joliet. I've never posted under anything but Bears 07 - stop whining and just accept that some other people disagree with your evidence lacking arguments as well.

And how does Orton have a better upside?! Grossman's arm strength is far superior and he's got better technique. Orton is taller, I'll give you that - but that's it. Orton was absolutely horrid in '05!

You say you want a QB that doesn't turn the ball over yet you stand behind a QB with a worse INT ratio than Rex.

You say you want a consistently good QB, yet you cheer for the guy who was consistenly horrid, averaging 2 TD's at most per game, and a lower rating than Grossman at 59.

You say Grossman has flaws yet he supercedes Orton's play in every area!

You're problem is that you just don't like Rex. If you can sit there and bitch and moan about Rex and then vouch for Orton, then the plain fact is you don't care that Rex is a better QB - you just want him out of there. Way to be a "REAL" bear fan.
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#10 Jul 31, 2007
All right dude your starting to get on my nerves. I've never called you any names and you constantly come on here name calling. I dont like to do that to Bears fans ...and I'd expect other Bears fans to act the same. Difference of opinion doesn't make another person an idiot. Especially when its opinion. Name calling is what a child does. Do you need to go to time-out?

Orton has a better arm than Grossman and thats a fact. Do a little research on him. Read some blogs on the Bears web site. People who attend the practices marvel at his arm strength. Same way they've been talking about Rex's great practices.

Ortons first year as a TRUE rookie he took the team to the playoffs. Im glad he's on our roster. Its better than a Krenzel or Burris. Isn't it? And the ENTIRE offense was in its first year in Turners system.

I said it before and Ill say it again. If Rex is our QB I support him 100%. He does have his flaws. He admits it....Does that mean Grossman doesn't like Grossman?
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#11 Jul 31, 2007
Here read this Bears 07. Especially the part where Pep Hamilton says Orton has "an extremely strong arm". I support my statements. BTW Hamilton is the Qbs coach so I think he knows what he's talking about. He also mentioned some muscle memory stuff with Rex and Rex having to improve in some areas. Does that make our QB coach not a Bears fan?
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#12 Jul 31, 2007
Bears 07

Leesburg, FL

#13 Aug 1, 2007
VIKINGS_CHAMPIONSHIPS_0 wrote:
Here read this Bears 07. Especially the part where Pep Hamilton says Orton has "an extremely strong arm". I support my statements. BTW Hamilton is the Qbs coach so I think he knows what he's talking about. He also mentioned some muscle memory stuff with Rex and Rex having to improve in some areas. Does that make our QB coach not a Bears fan?
Yes - and we were also told last season that Griese was a solid veteran backup by the Bears' staff - which turned about to be total bullocks.

And do you have any of your own opinions? Every argument you make you have an article for - do you ever just watch the games and make judgements off of that or do you have steal material to make your arguments! And half the time - your articles don't prove anything anyway!

And in most of your articles - they say Rex is doing a lot better, he's improved etc.- yet you say nothing about that! You pick and choose and post hypocritical statements. That's the only thin getting annoying on here - and I backup my statements too - just because I happen to base my opinion off what I actually think and not some article I googled doesn't make it any different.
Bears 07

Leesburg, FL

#14 Aug 1, 2007
VIKINGS_CHAMPIONSHIPS_0 wrote:
Here read this Bears 07. Especially the part where Pep Hamilton says Orton has "an extremely strong arm". I support my statements. BTW Hamilton is the Qbs coach so I think he knows what he's talking about. He also mentioned some muscle memory stuff with Rex and Rex having to improve in some areas. Does that make our QB coach not a Bears fan?
And I like how you totally ignored the fact that I clearly proved Orton had little to do with our run to the playoffs and just went on to a different subject - way to own up to being wrong.
Right to BEAR arms

Argentina

#15 Aug 1, 2007
Kyle Orton - Yards: 1,869 Touchdowns: 9 Interceptions: 13 QB Rating: 59.7

Rex Grossman - Yards: 3,193 Touchdowns: 23 Interceptions: 20 QB Rating: 73.9

Other than experience Vikings_Championships_0, other than experience whats the difference between a "TRUE" rookie, and a untrue rookie... Are true rookies allow to average less than 1 TD a game as a quarterback? or half the yards as the "untrue" rookie? If they put my grandmother on the field, she still would have taken us to the playoffs, why? Because our defensive played amazing football. Now, I'm not saying orton is awful and he should never play for any team. But he shouldn't play for the Bears.

Orton like you said came from a high power offense throwing the ball like crazy. Coming into a chicago offense like that, wasn't really an advantage for us. Orton in his 15 games starting played miserable. As a Rookie you expect them to throw more interceptions than touchdowns, but not like that. 5 interceptions, 0 touchdowns was one of the worst things to see on television for me. Then again Rex Grossman averaging a 0.0 Q.B. Rating against Green bay wasn't that spectacular either. Nonetheless, You and I both know Grossman's potential in those 7 out of 17 games with over a 100 In QB Rating.
Grossman's Record in season 06: 14-3
Orton's Record in season 05: 11-5
I just don't see it, what makes Grossman less of a quarter back than Orton? Does Orton have better potential that we didn't see? Because potential in a player is amongst some bad games you have outstanding statistics and points.

The only difference between the two that i keep hearing that I guess to some people make Orton a better player is that he is a "TRUE" rookie...
Potent Potables

Glendale Heights, IL

#16 Aug 1, 2007
jerry wrote:
Of the 3 QBs (Grossman, Greise, Orton), only Orton is a proven winner. It has always been said that Grossman has potential, but he has never delivered. Greise can't keep a job and just keeps moving from team to team. Coach, do you have blinders on?
What the heck are you talking about? Grossman lead the team to the Super Bowl. How is that not delivering!

The Bears won 2 playoff games with him at the helm and 14 games over the course of the season (and we all know that last game against GB was just garbage anyways)

I like Kyle Orton but what makes him a winner in your eyes that doesn't also make Rex Grossman a winner???
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#17 Aug 1, 2007
Right to BEAR arms wrote:
Kyle Orton - Yards: 1,869 Touchdowns: 9 Interceptions: 13 QB Rating: 59.7
Rex Grossman - Yards: 3,193 Touchdowns: 23 Interceptions: 20 QB Rating: 73.9
Other than experience Vikings_Championships_0, other than experience whats the difference between a "TRUE" rookie, and a untrue rookie... Are true rookies allow to average less than 1 TD a game as a quarterback? or half the yards as the "untrue" rookie? If they put my grandmother on the field, she still would have taken us to the playoffs, why? Because our defensive played amazing football. Now, I'm not saying orton is awful and he should never play for any team. But he shouldn't play for the Bears.
Orton like you said came from a high power offense throwing the ball like crazy. Coming into a chicago offense like that, wasn't really an advantage for us. Orton in his 15 games starting played miserable. As a Rookie you expect them to throw more interceptions than touchdowns, but not like that. 5 interceptions, 0 touchdowns was one of the worst things to see on television for me. Then again Rex Grossman averaging a 0.0 Q.B. Rating against Green bay wasn't that spectacular either. Nonetheless, You and I both know Grossman's potential in those 7 out of 17 games with over a 100 In QB Rating.
Grossman's Record in season 06: 14-3
Orton's Record in season 05: 11-5
I just don't see it, what makes Grossman less of a quarter back than Orton? Does Orton have better potential that we didn't see? Because potential in a player is amongst some bad games you have outstanding statistics and points.
The only difference between the two that i keep hearing that I guess to some people make Orton a better player is that he is a "TRUE" rookie...
OK I said Orton has a strong arm. Id prefer Orton , but he's not the man so I will back Rex. Remember in ortons rookie year thew ENTIRE offense was learning a new system.

Im not trying to diminish anything Rex did last year. I just don't agree with others that call him a "great qb". he has a lot of potential , but he has some flaws he has to fix. He admits it , his coaches admit it. So why do some of you act like Im against him? IM NOT. Christs sake Im stating the obvious that even Grossman admits.
VIKINGS_CHAMPION SHIPS_0

Albany, NY

#18 Aug 1, 2007
Bears 07 wrote:
<quoted text>
And do you have any of your own opinions? Every argument you make you have an article for - do you ever just watch the games and make judgements off of that or do you have steal material to make your arguments! And half the time - your articles don't prove anything anyway!
I've been stating my opinions on here supported by articles. Whats the problem with that. Are you opposed to reading some articles about our team? The articles are from credible sources like ChicagoBears.com ......forgive me for being literate.

And yes the articles do say that Grossman looks good. I want Rex to be good. I want him to improve in the areas he's worked hard on in the off-season.
Bears 07 wrote:
The Chicago Bears acquired another strong Gator QB in Chris Leak through free agency yesterday.
The Bears also signed Saints backup J.T. O'Sullivan a few months ago, a veteran QB with more skill and less mileage on him than Griese.
The Bears claim they will get virtually nothing for Orton in terms of a trade, so acquiring Leak through free agency was a blessing in disguise.
Griese was signed as a temporary fix if Grossman were to get injured again and, as the Bears claim, was never brought on to be the Bears permanent QB - not in any situation. Griese is far too old to run the young and powerful Bears offense and was simply a temporary fix until a more solid backup could be found.
Well they found one: J.T. O'Sullivan - a far more skilled yet younger veteran who could actually make some progress should Grossman take another season-ending hit.
And after Orton's short and painful performance, having one of the lowest completion percentages and QB rating for a winning QB ever, Chris Leak is set to take over as a third stringer.
So, potentially here's your QB lineup for the 2007 Bears Season:
Rex Grossman - starting QB
J.T. O'Sullivan - backup QB
Chris Leak - 3rd string QB
(Orton either released or traded - most likely released and Griese traded)
SO WHAT DID YOU BASE THIS CRAP ON???
Bears 07

Leesburg, FL

#19 Aug 2, 2007
That was a report I had heard - LONG LONG time ago. Obviously not true. I'm sure you also heard the BS about the Bears trying to get Brady Quinn, and perhaps trading Lance Briggs for Donovan McNabb, etc. It was obviously not true.

And my apologies about claming you don't support Rex - I just read one of your posts and obviously I was wrong.

Hopefully we can keep talking Bears but on a more friendly level now - my apologies once again.
Cricket

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 20, 2007
I watched Orton perform at Purdue...he put up big numbers for us. I wish he'd get more game time. I'm just a young college chick, but the way Grossman performed was embarrassing...how much longer will we listen to his excuses?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justin Gage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Titans QB Young questionable for Sunday (Oct '10) Oct '10 achlop 1
News Titans Try To Expand Offensive Options Beyond C... (Jun '10) Jun '10 michael sadler 2
News Titans keeping eye on Gage (Nov '09) Nov '09 Dion 1
News Titans receiver has multiple broken bones in back (Nov '09) Nov '09 newanarchy 1
News Titans rally to second straight victory, beatin... (Nov '09) Nov '09 Titans girl 4
News Titans hungry for deep run after first-round loss (Jan '09) Oct '09 DANG 4
News Titans Ready To Bounce Back vs. Houston - NewsC... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Judy 2
More from around the web