Insiders Blog: Offensive lineman draf...

Insiders Blog: Offensive lineman draft record of Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson

There are 7 comments on the WisInfo story from Apr 21, 2010, titled Insiders Blog: Offensive lineman draft record of Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson. In it, WisInfo reports that:

One thing seems certain about Packers General Manager Ted Thompson: he is sure to draft an offensive lineman every year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#1 Apr 21, 2010
TT's .200 average will drop as soon as he drafts another O-lineman. Perhaps the Packers should invest in a few more team doctors in order to keep AR healthy.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#2 Apr 22, 2010
TT needs to improve the talent level in the OL no doubt, but I do have a problem with the philosophy MM&Co. employ with these young linemen. We do both College, Spitz along with Lang a disservice by having them learn multiple positions. In this league it's hard enough to learn the assignments and some degree of efficiency for one position. By throwing College at tackle when Clifton went down, when he had most of his reps at guard is putting him in a position for failure in my view. It's a flawed approach that needs to change. I could be wrong but haven't Clifton, Tauscher, and Wells basically played their set positions for years???
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#3 Apr 22, 2010
Where TT usually drafts these guys is in rounds when you get players that are often not ideally sized to their position (read the article) and may not be able to make the roster unless they can play multiple positions. A coach can only work with what he's given. The article does a good job of pointing out TT's failure on the O-line IN THE DRAFT. It doesn't even mention TT's malfeasance and nonfeasance regarding free agency. Mike Vandermause was being kind because he is TT's biggest remaining fan. Imagine if he saw TT for what he is instead of what he wishes he was.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#4 Apr 22, 2010
I agree that TT has not had enough focus in finding talent for the OL, especially at LT. You usually get your premier LT early in the 1st round and outside of A.J. Hawk at #5, we haven't drafted all that early. I still think having these young guys play multiple positions is not the right approach. Sitton is a solid guard and Spitz is probably a decent guard also. College is an ok guard at best, but he will provide good depth at that position. Lang played pretty good for a rookie and he will make a very good RT.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#5 Apr 23, 2010
TT could have redeemed himself with the Bulaga pick. This selection has the smell of something similar to the Rodgers pick. I really thought Bulaga would go top 10 and assumed TT would go OLB, but you never pass on a OL of this caliber. I look for TT to address the OLB,CB,or safety positions in rounds #2/3.
eric

Monroe, WI

#6 Apr 23, 2010
Yep i think his 200 average has gone up on that one!!!!!
Bulaga
vs
Allen
that should be fun once he gets it together in the NFL!
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#7 Apr 23, 2010
eric wrote:
Yep i think his 200 average has gone up on that one!!!!!
Bulaga
vs
Allen
that should be fun once he gets it together in the NFL!
Mortenson and Clayton both think he can be an immediate starter, for the Packers sake I hope so, he could really put some balance back in the line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh Sitton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preseason Power Rankings No. 5: Green Bay Packers (Jul '14) Jul '14 eric 11
News Green Bay Packers will play Bryan Bulaga at RT,... (Mar '14) Mar '14 He Hate Me 1
News Jim Schwartz On Lions' Rep: 'If We Get A Flag, ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 AZ Lions Fan 1
News Job is Now on Line for Green Bay Packers' Don B... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Reggie 5-4 2
News Green Bay Packers Shuffled Offensive Line Looks... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News Packers Introduce the 'anti-Jared Allen Mullet ... (May '13) May '13 GBPfan 16
News Green Bay Packers: Running game goes nowhere fast (Oct '12) Oct '12 Patches OHoulihan 2
More from around the web