Minnesota Vikings: In the secondary, ...

Minnesota Vikings: In the secondary, more questions than answers

There are 4 comments on the TwinCities story from Aug 21, 2013, titled Minnesota Vikings: In the secondary, more questions than answers. In it, TwinCities reports that:

Cutting cornerback Antoine Winfield saved the club $7.25 million, but it cost the team valuable experience.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.

viking nation

Madera, CA

#1 Aug 21, 2013
I still say cutting Antoine Winfield the Vikes secondary is no worse off then when Winfield was with the Vikes. In 2011 The Vikings tied for the lowest interception total in the NFL with 8.
-The Vikings set a new NFL record by going nine full games without an interception, The Vikings' secondary was so bad opposing coaches were calling Leslie Frazier and saying, "Dude, you need to fix this." in 2012 the Vikes signed coach Alan Williams from the Colts. Don't ask me why I'm still at a loss of words for that. In his 10 years as defensive backs coach his unit finished in the bottom 1/3 of the league 6 times so who know what the Vikings was thinking when they signed him. Statistically this was the worst secondary in football in 2012 giving up an average of 8.1 yards per attempt (30th NFL), 34 TD (32nd), while picking off only 8 passes (T-31st) and allowing opposing QBs to post a mind-boggling 107.6 QB Rating. Winfield was never any help in the secondary & them stats show he wasn't.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 21, 2013
Winfield was a sure tackler though and good against the run.I think he was rated number one in the slot last year.Correct me if Im wrong.Still he was 36 and his days are numbered so were just doing the inevitable.Ive heard Robinson is doing pretty well.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#3 Aug 21, 2013
Bleeds Purple wrote:
Winfield was a sure tackler though and good against the run.I think he was rated number one in the slot last year.Correct me if Im wrong.Still he was 36 and his days are numbered so were just doing the inevitable.Ive heard Robinson is doing pretty well.
That's true but still look at the INTs & forced fumbles. Winfield was no help where it mattered most. & he could no longer hang with the faster receiver. I like the speed of Robinsion, not many receivers will run away form him. He did get turned around by receivers a few times last season but that's all part of learning as a rookie. I think he was a good pick.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#4 Aug 21, 2013
darn Sorry about word ( from ) letters get turned around sometimes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh Robinson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Part One: Prioritizing The Vikings In-House Fre... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Josh Robinson hopes workout changes put him ove... (Jun '15) Jun '15 tom wingo 4
News The Minnesota Vikings Should Draft Msu CB Trae ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 BradyBonerz 2
News Minnesota Vikings Player Power Rankings, Final ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Magnum Man II 1
News Kyle Rudolph to have surgery on Tuesday (Sep '14) Sep '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Dull day for the Vikings QBs -- until the end o... (Jun '14) Jun '14 viking nation 5
News Cordarrelle Patterson on Captain Munnerlyn: 'I ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web