Raiders QB: JaMarcus Now?

Oct 15, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: San Jose Mercury News

“I can't imagine how that happened”

I doubt Lane Kiffin wants to agree with me, and I'm certainly leery of agreeing with him, but it looks like we're going to accidentally end up agreeing with each other, anyway. via San Jose Mercury News

Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Nov 2, 2007

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 16, 2007
 
Starting him this week at home against KC may not be a bad idea if he's ready, even though KC's been on a roll lately.
j4raidersalothrt eamsdie

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 20, 2007
 
CullPepper is too freaking old and he wold derve best on the sideline supporting Jamarcus. They should start the big kid ASAP. What do they have to loose? This kid is not gonna get hurt...he is giant. He is a big boy and he can take it. With his height an athletic ability it is a waste for this kid to be a getting 30 + Mil and not playing. Just have Someone on the sidelines devote to ensuring he know what play to run and let him improvise.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 20, 2007
 
The future of the Raiders stands: QB Jamarcus Russell; RB Michael Bush; TEs Zach Miller & John Madsen; WR unknown; OL led by LG Robert Gallery

Defense: MLB Kirk Morrison; OLB Tom Howard; DL Tommy Kelly

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 21, 2007
 
The only issue I have is it is a HUGE gamble...Starting him now would likely do one of two things...Either make it a great start to his career or Could ruin his mental being as a starter by dropping his confidence horribly. It's a crap shoot...but at this point it couldn't get much worse.
goddy

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 22, 2007
 
id start him now!!

“Raiders, Warriors and A's”

Since: Aug 07

San Jose

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 22, 2007
 
It's not Culpepper's fault that the run game was non-existent
in Sunday's game against the Chiefs. He didn't drop all those
passes, either. There's a list of mistakes the Raiders committed,
including missed blocking assignments on the OL, that muffed punt
return, and frankly, some questionable play calls from the sidelines.
I'll bet those who thought Culpepper is too old, weren't thinking
that on his long bomb to Porter. I'm not saying he's the answer, but
Russel isn't ready. Culpepper is a journeymen, not a super star,
granted, but QBs fresh out of college, who were holdouts, missing
camp don't strike me as the answer either. The Raiders would've
won that game if they'd of showed up in the 1st half. All I'm saying
is that the Raiders lost that game as a team, not just because of one guy.
The defense is looking better, which is a good sign.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 22, 2007
 
I agree but he also isn't getting the team to play and as a QB part of your job is rallying the troops so to speak. They don't seem to play inspired football while he is on the field. I know part of that is coaching but the QB should be able to get his Ofeense to play to another level....
CaptJack

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 22, 2007
 
RaiderFaith wrote:
They don't seem to play inspired football while he is on the field.
I haven't seen the Raiders play inspired football on a consistent basis since Gruden. Anyway, I like Culpepper, but if the team doesn't turn around in a few games I would vote for JaMarcus too. I was at the Florida v LSU game last year when Gators beat JaMarcus. But he can stand in the pocket until the last minute and deliver a strike. He was impressive.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 22, 2007
 
I don't care for Culpepper but I will support him as long as he is QB for the Raiders...I (like all of Raider Nation) want to see us get back to winning...this losing in the the AFC West for as long as we have is miserable.
CaptJack wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen the Raiders play inspired football on a consistent basis since Gruden. Anyway, I like Culpepper, but if the team doesn't turn around in a few games I would vote for JaMarcus too. I was at the Florida v LSU game last year when Gators beat JaMarcus. But he can stand in the pocket until the last minute and deliver a strike. He was impressive.
CALIR8DER

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 22, 2007
 
I think it will be mistake to start Russell right now. The running game is really bad. Teams are stacking eight in the box to stop the run beacause our passing game sucks. Receivers are not getting open, the QB doesnt get rid of the ball. The offensive line improved from last year but it's still not enough they miss blocks or get penalties at the wrong time. The Raiders still have alot of work. Its a new offense and it takes a while for players to learn it. But I think they are going in the right direction.

“Raiders, Warriors and A's”

Since: Aug 07

San Jose

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 23, 2007
 
CALIR8DER wrote:
I think it will be mistake to start Russell right now. The running game is really bad. Teams are stacking eight in the box to stop the run beacause our passing game sucks. Receivers are not getting open, the QB doesnt get rid of the ball. The offensive line improved from last year but it's still not enough they miss blocks or get penalties at the wrong time. The Raiders still have alot of work. Its a new offense and it takes a while for players to learn it. But I think they are going in the right direction.
Ditto that... re: The play calling.
There were a couple of long balls thrown against the Chiefs,
but not enough. Despite an original play now and then, the
majority of plays are conservative, and that gives the defense
an advantage. If the OL was dominant, then conservative
would make more sense, but they aren't dominant. The
answer, then, is to stretch the field and keep the opponents
guessing. More long passes.

If a receiver drops a pass, they should throw to him again
in the very next play. It says they believe in the receiver.
Often, that receiver will give that extra something to catch
the pass, because of dropping it in the previous play.

“Drive it like you stole it”

Since: Apr 07

Lake Elsinore

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 23, 2007
 
I say when we have 6 loss's by mid season. start him for sure

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 23, 2007
 
freestyle4x4f150 wrote:
I say when we have 6 loss's by mid season. start him for sure
I'm not opposed to starting him this week if he's ready
Captain Canada

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 24, 2007
 
I trust Kiffin's judgement to know when JaMarcus will be ready to give the Raiders the best opportunity to win. In the meantime, I get the feeling that they're due for a game where everything comes together. This team is close, and needs to learn how to put it's opponents away in the fourth quarter. Killer instinct and confidence are what's required! Keep the faith Nation!

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 24, 2007
 
They also need to learn how to start games...
Captain Canada wrote:
I trust Kiffin's judgement to know when JaMarcus will be ready to give the Raiders the best opportunity to win. In the meantime, I get the feeling that they're due for a game where everything comes together. This team is close, and needs to learn how to put it's opponents away in the fourth quarter. Killer instinct and confidence are what's required! Keep the faith Nation!

“Drive it like you stole it”

Since: Apr 07

Lake Elsinore

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 2, 2007
 
well it looks like McCown this week against the Texans. Maybe he won't hold on to the ball for so long

Since: Oct 07

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 2, 2007
 
freestyle4x4f150 wrote:
well it looks like McCown this week against the Texans. Maybe he won't hold on to the ball for so long
i think we are all hoping for that. as long as he holds onto it when he is sacked and not fumbling the ball to the other team. looks like those 6 loses as sooner than later. so i hope your right about starting russell after 6 loses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••