Demoted Wilford doesn't want to be left in reserve

There are 20 comments on the Aug 16, 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel story titled Demoted Wilford doesn't want to be left in reserve. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Ernest Wilford towers over every cornerback who lines up across from him, yet the Dolphins ' 6-foot-4 receiver has been lost in the shadows during training camp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
now ar never

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#1 Aug 16, 2008
you look like a bust so far- time to earn your money and GET OPEN.
"There has never been a doubt I can catch the ball". Really?
Not from what I saw at camp.
Question

Miami, FL

#2 Aug 16, 2008
Man, just shut up and catch the ball. These WR make so many excuses. When the ball hits you in the numbers, don't drop it. It's a pretty simple concept. However, if you continue to suck, don't worry because your career won't be over. There are plenty of arena league teams that would love to have you.

“W Y S I W Y G”

Since: Jan 08

Cumming, GA

#3 Aug 16, 2008
That's the problem with the big signing bonuses - people get complacent. Clearly Wilford can be a big help IF they can find out how to motivate him. He can't seem to motivate himself.

They ought to make him play in the 4Q at Jax. If nothing else it may embaress him enough to get with the program.

Beat the stinking jets!
patsfan

Miami, FL

#4 Aug 16, 2008
Parcells paid alot of money for Wilford to be a reserve. Wilford should not be complaining when the starters are making far less to play every down.

The dolphin tradition continues........
perspective

Clermont, FL

#5 Aug 16, 2008
These performance bonuses are paid in reverse. He hasn't caught a meaningful pass for the dolphins yet. And he is being paid a bonus for what he did in Jacksonville? They didn't try to resign him and here we are giving him gifts. Only solution is one reception, one bonus. Just like we reward a dog for doing a trick. Dog lies down, give him a biscuit. This is also relative to signing bonuses for college players in the draft. Make bonuses payable after performance allows for it. NOT BEFORE!!!
CaneForLife

United States

#6 Aug 16, 2008
Wilford was the guy that dropped the potentially game-tying 2-pt conversion in 2001 against the undefeated Canes. And he was wide open...at home. So how clutch is his 'ability to catch the ball'?
Always been in question to me.
Samantha

AOL

#7 Aug 16, 2008
It just goes to show you how much of this game is mental. You have to be smart out there and aware of what's going on, otherwise you'll get lost in the shuffle. Look at guys like Zach who are older and yet are making plays due to pure awareness and being at that next level. Age can be overcome to an extent and so can size, if you're brain is working. So when coaches say, I love his size, stuff like that, I always cross my fingers and hope for the best. I'll never forget Daryl Gardner. Big guy, lots of potential, never could produce.

Players from other teams coming here have an additional challenge - they have to adapt to a new system and new environment. Some of them can't do that, or don't want to do that. So when we bring somebody in, you're rolling the dice to an extent. Especially someone like Wilford who already has the paycheck and assumes the coaches will put up with his slow start. Miami has an investment in money and time in him, there isn't much on the roster, and he knows that.

The best philosophy I've seen here in Miami is JJ's. He had guys compete, and if you didn't bring it on the field you were out, regardless. Vets, rookies, whatever. That's what it all comes down to anyway, right? Performance. Who's performing and who's not. That's how you should draft, too, by looking at tape and not at numbers. Some good players might slip through the cracks with that method but in the long run you come out ahead.

Plus, I liked JJ's way of picking lean, fast guys. Not small guys at all, but guys who can move fast on the field and not have to come off every few plays due to their weight. Parcells has a different philosophy, but he's running into an issue with the Florida climate, I think. It's hot and humid, and these heavy weight guys are feeling it. In the Tampa game, they had tubes running down the jerseys of some linemen, in the area of their back. I don't know what that was,...air...fluid, who knows. But you never saw that before on a Florida team. We definitely need it now, with the 300 plus guys and guys from cold weather states like Michigan. I think think next season we should lean a little bit more toward Texas, Cali, Florida, Georgia, Alabama players, who I think can adapt better to our climate. And adapting to the climate means focusing more on the field and having more energy.

Since: Jan 07

Cocoa Fl

#8 Aug 16, 2008
"...minimal agility, limited quickness and recent habit of dropping the ball". Makes you wonder what they were thinking when they went after this guy.
MEE

United States

#9 Aug 16, 2008
"I knows I can catch da ball, juss give me the opportunitee." Few hundred passes, he's bound to catch one.
Larry

AOL

#10 Aug 16, 2008
cocoa joe wrote:
"...minimal agility, limited quickness and recent habit of dropping the ball". Makes you wonder what they were thinking when they went after this guy.
Its the Dolphins....they werent thinking....HAHA
GFK

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Aug 16, 2008
now ar never wrote:
you look like a bust so far- time to earn your money and GET OPEN.
"There has never been a doubt I can catch the ball". Really?
Not from what I saw at camp.
Who are you talking to???
GFK

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#12 Aug 16, 2008
cocoa joe wrote:
Typical Parcells move here.
Mike R

United States

#13 Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, no kidding he doesn't want to sit on the bench. But if you want to start, you need to perform, junior. And what's with this "we" business? Got a mouse in your pocket? If so, you need to see if he can help you somehow.
westernfin

Sunnyside, WA

#14 Aug 16, 2008
Only move so far that could be questioned.Let's see how it plays out.
tarniman

Homer, GA

#15 Aug 16, 2008
Wilford needs to get with the program. I understand that he is a pretty good run blocker down field. He needs to step up a receiving game up so he can win the starting job so he can be on the field on first downs to help with run blocking. He is a tall receiver--thats means he will be good in the red zone. I really hope he gets his s**t together so he can help us this year.
nomercy

Miami, FL

#16 Aug 16, 2008
it's the "put up" or "shut up" and don't go whining to the media, we the fans don't give a rats patootie, play well or get cut.
tarniman

Homer, GA

#17 Aug 16, 2008
If I had it my way, we would cut Derek Hagan. I don't think he has a very big upside and he consistently drops balls. I not his fan at all, he does not show a star potential at all. I don't know why Purcell likes him. He going to take up a roster spot that should be going to someone else.
Derek

AOL

#18 Aug 16, 2008
Wilford never saw QB's as atrocious as the Fins QB's. So its not rocket science that his performance will drop off from last year. Just like Chambers and Welker showed immediate improvement when they played with real QB's, Wilford's stats will take a hit playing with these scrubs.
Anonymous

Miami, FL

#19 Aug 16, 2008
When are we finally going to see production from Joey Porter?
patsfan

Miami, FL

#20 Aug 16, 2008
I agree with Sparano and Parcells to demote Wilford if he doesn't produce. But who's the moron that signed this guy for 6m?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh McCown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Westfield standouts shine on Sunday (Sep '14) Sep '14 BulldogsBullchit 3
News Josh McCown Proving Chicago Bears Made Right Call (Sep '14) Sep '14 Go Blue Forever 3
News NFL Preview - St. Louis (Sep '14) Sep '14 In Lovie with losing 1
News Updated 2015 NFL Mock Draft Picks 6-10: Houston... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Obriens Butt-Chin 1
News Picking playoff sleeper in 2014 (Jun '14) Jul '14 Ponder It 2
News Chicago Bears Rumors: Team to Sign Josh Freeman? (Apr '14) Apr '14 Tresturd 2
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
More from around the web