Miami Dolphins quarterback John Beck keeps his head up

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The few things John Beck wouldn't allow himself to say were just as revealing as the things he said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 146 Comments Last updated Sep 11, 2008
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Dolfinfan13

Locust Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Absolutely.
DolphinDan

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Beck needs the confidence he lost last year back and it's hard to do that with people that don't want you here. He really seems like he's going to be one of those guys that leaves and is going to be good somewhere else...in the right situation. I saw the highlights of when he was in college - he's a good quarterback. He only really played a year and a half. Henne is a 4-year starter and understands a lot more. IMHO. I wish we could keep Beck a year and let him learn and watch because he needs it.
Wally

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Bye John

“Wasilla Moose Chick for Sale”

Since: Aug 07

Definitely Not Wasilla

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Apart from the Dolphin organization wasting a whole year with a total incompetent Cam Cameron (good assistant coach, totall crazy inept as head coach) one of the people that have to be really sorry to ever have encountered Cameron in his life is John Beck. I am not sure what Beck's talents are but the absolute horror of a way in which he was handled and delivered to the wolves was criminal. And to make matters so much more undeserving for Beck, Cameron puts Cleo Lemon as a starter in the last game of the season even when it was known that that Lemon was a free agent and not the kind of QB that Parcells would ever have in his squad.

If Cameron had a ounce of common sense he would have put Beck as a starter in the last game and play him all 4 quarters Cameron with all his gaffes and incompetence owed the fans and Beck that much.

He might have ruined Beck's career completely or at least his chances to have a career. Here is Beck, will be 30 soon and has no experience as a QB in the NFL.

Since: Aug 08

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

IMO he needs a fresh start in order to regain his confidence. As was pointed out above, that's hard to do where you are not necessarily wanted.

If I was playing GM for a day I would hope to trade John, cut McCown and sign Simms as the backup when he is released by Tampa.
The Shadow

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Cam Cameron ruined Beck's career. I'm sure he hates him like poison.
sweet

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

McCown has had plenty of chances. He needs to admit to himself that he is NOT and NFL starting QB..Lucky for him, the league is so watered down at the position that he has managed to stay in the league. There are only a handful of very good Qb's in the league anyhow.
PerfectTeam

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

So as usual Omar you blame John Beck for a mistake that was clearly not his fault. Could you kindly tell everyone why the ball was fumbled? I mean the way I saw it, Trey Darilek threw a ground ball to Beck off the dirt that hit him ankle high. I mean that really sounds like a John Beck fumble to me. Am I an avid John Beck supporter? No, not really. Am I against biased reporting? I think so.
mike

Nürnberg, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

I don't know why they're going to get rid of Beck instead of McCown. You know what you're getting in McCown. He's been in the league for years and has been passed from team to team because he is a sub-par NFL QB.

Maybe Beck is, too; but we just don't know. I'd rather see them develop two guys. There's no guarantees that Henne will continue to get better.

Who cares about the 3rd QBs ability to come into a game? It's such an unlikely scenario that 2 QBs go down in the same game.

Maybe Beck turns into something. Maybe he doesn't. We already know McCown's ceiling and it's not that high.
Question

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

The Shadow wrote:
Cam Cameron ruined Beck's career. I'm sure he hates him like poison.
Opportunity is what it is. Maybe the cards were stacked against him last year. But Beck has had every opportunity this spring and summer to make something happen (how many snaps did Sparano say he has seen Beck take?). Clearly there are better QBs on the roster than him. And THAT you cannot fault Cameron for. Peyton Manning had a far worse rookie year than Beck did. I don't think that disastrous first year "ruined" him.
Bogenshitz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

He's tried every day to get better, but he doesn't..bottom line.
I just see a guy who says all the right things, then goes out and does none of them. He's 26, short,indecisive,slow release and is not savy in the pocket leading to too many fumbles batted balls and interceptions. Accurate and played well in the BYU system, but speed of the game at the NFL level seems to overwelm him. Will never make it in the NFL.
Vancouver FinFan

Surrey, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

I think Beck played well last year considering how poorly everyone else played around him. I think the OL fed him to the wolves with some guys outright quitting. How can one see poise when the DL is in the backfield before the QB can get his hands off the centers back side?!
I have not seen any of training camp but I thought Beck looked fine in the Tampa game with limited action; the comments after that game that Henne played better were complete crap. Reporting kind of like saying Beck fumbled in the KC game; the guy however seems cursed with the team doing that kind of crap (awful snap)in support of him.

I don't think Beck was given a fair shot this year regardless of what has been said by the coaching staff. If he has a career at all it will most likely be elsewhere as the team seems to have committed to the two Chads. I think if given a shot Beck will do well in the league. As for the Phins hopefully Henne proves to be the long term answer but I thought little of him at Michigan and not much from the little I have seen of him in the preseason.
DolphinDan

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

I would also like to point out that this is Beck's 2nd offensive system in 2 years in the NFL. That's hard for a young QB to go through. He needs time to develop. I understand he's 27...How old is McCown?

And the comment about him having a "slow release" - he had a quick release coming out of college.

I think the Dolphins either trade him or keep him, but won't cut him and yeah - have 4 QBs this year.
john

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Maybe if we release him on the last cut nobody will pick him up but I don't think this dolphin management could be that cruel.
Maybe we can get a 7th rounder from Baltimore since Cam is their and he knows their new system. Ozzie is a great talent evaluator I don't think Cam has much say on personel now a days.
If nobody picks him up then he can try out in the Canadian league or Arena League. Maybe he will just quit football and go on another Mormon mission.
Tree2691

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

John, your comments were shortsighted, and off base. I think the best thing we can do with Beck is to keep him, and develop him. If he can keep working, I think he will be fine. We will need someone behind Henne who will push him next year, so Henne will get better as well. He was improving until Penny got here, then he was shut out. We haven't seen what Penny's influence on him has been, because he hasn't played. Say that he obviously didn't do so well in practice since we signed Penny, and I will point out that he hasn't received any work there either. Hopefully the team will give him, and McCown a chance to work more in practice this week, and will get most of the work in this weeks' game, so we can see which to keep.
Bootris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

Parcells is a what have you done for me lately coach. Beck will be gone within the 53 cut time one way or the other. I say trade him to Cam in Balti for a 7th round pick. Did Beck have a fair shake with the Phins? Probably not but the NFL is a ruthless business and Beck has been financially compensated very well for his two years. Lets face it, he is gone one way or the other, if not traded he will be released and Sporano has already said he wants a vet as 3rd string QB. The Not For Long League is a shit or get off the pot business and Beck has only shit on the field so far. That fumble in the KC game was probably not his fault but how many other Miami Qb's fumbled the snap that night? Beck screwed up his trade value with that unlucky play, maybe his Mormon god wants him to quit football and work with the majic underpants church full time. It looks more and more like he will be released, Ireland seems to trying to work a trade best he can. Take a 7th at this point and lets move on. We have no time for QB rehab projects, Henne is our future now, Happy feet will be hitting the road soon, maybe Cam can work with him to keep him out of the Arena League.
cool hand luke

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

too bad for beck, but he'll get another opportunity somewhere else in due time. his day will come.
Brian C

Bates City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

"Beck entered the game in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter and finished the game with four handoffs, a fumbled snap from the center and three consecutive knees to end the game."

Fumbled snap huh?

Say you hate him as a person,BYU or the religion he chooses to follow but you look like a FKN fool for making stuff up Omar.

And I thought Armando made chit up!
Concerned Taxpayer

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

From all accounts, John Beck is an intellegent guy. He had to see the writing on the wall.

From Day #1, Bill Parcells and Company have rid themselves, as much as possible, of all visible reminders of last year's debacle. This includes eliminating long time, beloved players like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor. Through the players selected in the draft and signed through free agency, The Regime is clearly trying to eliminate the stench of the 1-15 team. How much of that 1-15 record rests on the shoulders of John Beck is debatable. What isn't debatable is that Beck was one of the top draft picks of the prior management team which, in of itself, puts a hugh bullseye on his back.

With the cards stacked against him, Beck would have had to play significantly better than anyone else in camp to win a starting position - which didn't happen.

The best thing that can happen to him now is to be released ASAP so that he can move on to another team and attempt to rebuild his career. Remaining as the 3rd string quarterback relegates him to obscurity.
guvsta

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

We're too quick to annoint players as the saviour or to write them off. This time last year, Beck was being praised. I think we should keep him and get rid of McCown. This year is a building one anyway so it doesn't matter of our 2 backup QBs are inexperienced. All Sparano and co need to do is win 4/5 games for this season to be considered an improvement. McCown is what is he- we don't know what Beck might turn out to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Josh McCown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Picking playoff sleeper in 2014 Jul 23 Ponder It 2
Chicago Bears Rumors: Team to Sign Josh Freeman? Apr '14 Tresturd 2
Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... Mar '14 Steven 1
Buccaneers land QB McCown Mar '14 McClown the Pirate 13
Chicago Bears Rumors: Brandon Weeden Would be P... Mar '14 Rumorfarts 4
Josh Freeman has interest from Oakland Raiders Mar '14 Freddy 11
Signing Josh McCown Would Not Solve New York Je... Feb '14 Laughing bear Fan 1

Search the Josh McCown Forum:
•••
•••