Unknowns lead to optimism for Silver ...

Unknowns lead to optimism for Silver and Black

There are 7 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Jul 26, 2008, titled Unknowns lead to optimism for Silver and Black. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

"Why do people persist in a dissatisfying relationship, unwilling to work toward solutions or end it and move on?" asks self-help guru Tony Robbins.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

snowshoe

Ione, CA

#1 Jul 26, 2008
Winning will cure everything, even pessimistic reporters. Just win baby!
TexasRaider

United States

#2 Jul 26, 2008
I still think trading Jon Gruden was the biggest mistake they ever made. Granted, nobody knew that he would sink the Raiders into their own blackhole in the superbowl his first season as HC in Tampa, but still, Bill Callahan is a yes man and gave up after Rich Gannon got hurt the following season and went to IR...Or was it the following week when he lost the man that was supposed to be Rich Gannon's successor Marques Tuiososopo to IR? It was obvious that Callahan didn't care when he called the Raiders "The dumbest franchise in the NFL." Then Al Davis gave Raider fan Norv Turner his dream job which he too failed at because he too is a yes man and you can't be that with Al Davis and expect to win by coaching his way in the NFL today. That became proof when Art Shell suceeded Norv Turner after going 9-23 in 2 seasons as head coach. Of course the team lost it's pride and poise after the superbowl 37 embarrassment and Al figured that if anybody could change that it would be former Raider coach and HOF tackle Art Shell whom Davis admitted that he regretted firing after a 9-7 season in 1994. Art Shell is a very smart man that Al Davis will listen too and just when they thought they couldn't be sunken into their own blackhole any further, they were and Shell and Davis had their end of season meeting and decided that it was best that Shell no-longer serve as HC. It was probably Shell's under the table advice to Davis to hire another Gruden type coach and he did in Lane Kiffin. I'll bet Al Davis regrets trading Gruden now but I doubt he'll admit it especially if Kiffin comes out with an improved team. Winning is all that matters...JUST WIN BABY!!!!!!!!!!
Mildog

AOL

#3 Jul 26, 2008
Give me a break. It seems like you feel comfortable in making conjectures based on limited information. I was reading constantly about whatever information came through about the Raider-Asomugha negotiations. At no time did I ever hear about those negotiations being rancorous. His signing of the franchise tender and showing up to camp are definitely an indication of his talent, character and professionalism. If you want to write articles with limited information and a lot of pre-conceived bias please put it in the comic strip section.
JediRaider

San Francisco, CA

#4 Jul 26, 2008
This article is stupid fluff rehashed and exagerrated from the offseason. Nnamdi's situation contentious? Not in the least - he didn't even hold out. Woodson & Buchanon was not even better than Aso and Fabian - P-burnt stunk up the joint and woodson was injured most of the last three years he was here. We've had hope almost every year, but Gallery and Grove busting didn't help our cause. Anyway, I could go after the other jibberish in this article but why bother? Any loser that can quote (and thinks it's a good idea to use it to frame a football article) a self-help "guru" obviously isn't worth the effort because just like the meaningless garbage that spews out of Tony Robbin's mouth, this article is meaningless garbage that offers absolutely no real insight into the Raider's 2008 fortunes beyond what any high school journalist with no interest in football could throw together.
azb

Oxon Hill, MD

#5 Jul 29, 2008
Why do people insist Gallery and Grove are busts, the coaching staffs were the busts. A different coach each year coming from college, those guys needed to have a consistant coach and be in the same system and both will live up to their draft position. I think Gallery can now be shifted back to left tackle since we have Cable teaching him about zone blocking. The problem in the past is we got hall of famers to coach these guys how to block, just because you're a HOF player doesn't mean you can coach worth a DAM.
TexasRaider

United States

#6 Jul 30, 2008
azb wrote:
Why do people insist Gallery and Grove are busts, the coaching staffs were the busts. A different coach each year coming from college, those guys needed to have a consistant coach and be in the same system and both will live up to their draft position. I think Gallery can now be shifted back to left tackle since we have Cable teaching him about zone blocking. The problem in the past is we got hall of famers to coach these guys how to block, just because you're a HOF player doesn't mean you can coach worth a DAM.
I agree with you 100%. Gallery and Grove can be the anchors of our OLine and I really think they will be especially with a real coach with a system that fits their ability much better. I relly would like to see how Gallery does at tackle in the zone scheme, but I think they intend to leave him at guard for now.
mike moran

Boca Raton, FL

#7 Jul 31, 2008
They do love to hate, they really do. When we lose we suck, when we win we had dirty players... Always these women carrying excuses like signs around their necks. What they really should be saying is, " i have a very narrow view of the world around me and i only repeat what others once told me..."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh McCown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Westfield standouts shine on Sunday (Sep '14) Sep '14 BulldogsBullchit 3
News Josh McCown Proving Chicago Bears Made Right Call (Sep '14) Sep '14 Go Blue Forever 3
News NFL Preview - St. Louis (Sep '14) Sep '14 In Lovie with losing 1
News Updated 2015 NFL Mock Draft Picks 6-10: Houston... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Obriens Butt-Chin 1
News Picking playoff sleeper in 2014 (Jun '14) Jul '14 Ponder It 2
News Chicago Bears Rumors: Team to Sign Josh Freeman? (Apr '14) Apr '14 Tresturd 2
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
More from around the web