BuckeyeXtra - Big Ten power or paper ...

BuckeyeXtra - Big Ten power or paper Lions?

There are 73 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 4, 2009, titled BuckeyeXtra - Big Ten power or paper Lions?. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Dispatch OSU football beat writer Ken Gordon answers your questions Friday at noon about the Buckeyes, Big Ten and college football in general.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Shawnee, KS

#1 Nov 4, 2009
Not as good as the BUCKS!

Hillsborough, NJ

#2 Nov 4, 2009
I have a better question, Bill: How good is this Ohio State team? Like Penn State, OSU is lacking a "signature" win this year and quite frankly, that fact extends to the nearly two year Tressel - Pryor era. What we do know....is our struggling offense faces one of the better defenses in the country -- soft schedule or not. The extent to which this Ohio State team finally sheds is "they are young" excuses and plays a complete game, is the one and only over-riding mystery that needs to be uncovered -- or (re) exposed in my opinion. GO BUCKS!
Gator Gary

Marietta, GA

#3 Nov 4, 2009
Penn State is your typical slow Big Ten Team. They were exposed for that last year when they got embarrassed in the Rose Bowl by the speed and athleticism of USC. Bucs 16, PSU 10. GO GATORS!!!
scott k

Prague, Czech Republic

#4 Nov 4, 2009
""We have a really solid football team, but we haven't been tested down the stretch," he said. "We haven't had a game that's required for us to come back from a deficit or put us in a hard place and (forced us to) fight back."

Uh, yeah, except against Iowa pal. And you guys lost.
Clueless in Columbus

Blacklick, OH

#5 Nov 4, 2009
If pryor and the offense can't keep the ball and score...its going to be a long night!

Remember we are playing in happy valley!
MIbutnot Blue

Waterford, MI

#6 Nov 4, 2009
The question for November is not whether the last three opponents will bring their "A" game, but whether OSU will bring theirs. We haven't seen the OSU "A" game this year. Rather the excuse follows that we "play to the level of the opponent". The debacle with USC, Purdue and the run-over of NMSU proves that is not true. I expect the Buckeyes will muster their B/B+ game once out of the three and hope for the best in the other two. Which will it be, target Penn State and get clipped by Iowa, or look past PSU and dethrone Iowa, or win out and face the doomsday game in Ann Arbor against a spoiler?

I'm a lot more comfortable believing the rhetoric and hype about OSU's strength and talent. However, the team tries its' best to not live up to the descriptions. I'm hoping for some consistency in advertised playing ability and securing three wins in a row.

Calgary, Canada

#7 Nov 4, 2009
Other than playing USC who has OSU really played?

Anniston, AL

#8 Nov 4, 2009
Hey Rabinowitz who has the Buckeyes played in their non conference schedule? U.S.C. is not what it usually is. Let me guess Toledo and Navy are loaded this year RIGHT! NOT. You'll find out how good Penn State is when the Buckeyes get DRUMED.

Anniston, AL

#9 Nov 4, 2009
Hey Gary Gator I would debate football with you but after reading your post I can tell your football knowledge is TRAILER TRASH! But it's not your fault Florida plays in the WEAK SOUTHEASTERN CHEATERS COFERENCE.

Calgary, Canada

#10 Nov 4, 2009
Reading the PA papers shows media and showing lots of respect and kind words about OSU.

Reading this paper shows a lack of respect towards PSU - except for the coach's comments.

Class or class-less; I know my choice.
Al in Tampa

United States

#11 Nov 4, 2009
Who cares!! At this point they are playing for a trip to either Orlando or Tampa on new years day. If they lose to PSU, I hope to at least see the Bucs throwing the ball down field and trying to win rather than sheltering TP's fragile ego.

State College, PA

#12 Nov 4, 2009
My stats show PSU non-conference teams record at 17-16....the same as OSU non-conference opps.
Buckeye in Florida

Saint Marys, GA

#13 Nov 4, 2009
Considering the 2009 season to this point, you may have subtitled your article "Big Ten Power or busted Nuts?"
One of the two over-hyped quarterbacks will crumble under the pressure of a big game and hand a pyrrhic victory to the other team.

United States

#14 Nov 4, 2009
Penn State is not a national championship caliber team. We saw that when Iowa wore them out earlier this year. So my vote is for Paper Lion, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a Big 10 power. The Big 10 stinks.

The Big 10 should hope, pray or pay to prevent Iowa from slipping into the BCS title game. If Ohio State beats them and muddies the waters, all the better.

The last thing anybody in the Big 10 wants is for Iowa to play the last game of Bowl Season and get housed by an SEC team. Then the Big 10 will be ranked behind the ACC and people will talk about taking away its automatic bid.

We also don't want the Big 10 getting two BCS bids. All the better if the also rans play in the Outback and Cap1 bowls where failure won't be as scrutinized.

Columbus, OH

#15 Nov 4, 2009
Notabuck wrote:
Reading the PA papers shows media and showing lots of respect and kind words about OSU.
Reading this paper shows a lack of respect towards PSU - except for the coach's comments.
Class or class-less; I know my choice.
Based on your continued comments, you could use some etiquette lessons yourself!
BM Strange

Omaha, NE

#16 Nov 4, 2009
I love my Buckeyes, I bleed scarelt and grey...But last weeks win was a huge loss as well...Pettrey is a huge void to cover in just one week...especially with the anticipated match up and electricity of the PSU game...we know it will be a white out, crazy fans screaming. If you follow TOSU, you know these type games are not decided by a QB, RB or WR...they are decided by both lines and the FG kickers...All I gotta say is for this week please offense find your identity and put it together for a full 60 minutes.

Atlanta, GA

#17 Nov 4, 2009
And behold, the Buckeyes encounter an angel, with wings of fire and eyes as bright as the sun. As the angel spoke it seemed as if the sky would fall on man. The angel encourages the Buckeyes to head east to a stadium that pays tribute to a Beaver. There the Buckeyes will find a group of men, or false champions, who lay claim to the Big Ten title. Fear not, mighty Buckeyes, as you will be out numbered. You will be ridiculed by those who inhabit that stadium that pays tribute to the Beaver. Those false prophets in media will defile your name before thy game. Fear not, as you will be victorius on this Saturday. Keep thy faith and thy faith will keep you. GO BUCKS!!!!

Salem, OR

#18 Nov 4, 2009
Buckeyes R the national laughing stock of college football. Haven't had a signature win in 3 decades. I was inn Seattle, Washington on business watching the local newscast @ 11 PM when the weatherwoman turned to the sportsguy; the transtition statement was "and so, that's the weather, folks, for you skiers we will have flakes falling in the Cascades; and speaking of falling, Ohio State's reputation is doing some of that as well, isn't that right Jake?"

Salem, OR

#19 Nov 4, 2009
when I was in Boston, Mass a few weeks ago; I was watching a program on Natural Earth on TV they were talking about Mt. St. Helens and the eruption of 1980. When they got to talking about the chances, or odds/probability of it erupting again; and predicting another eruption; the volcanologist that was being interviewed said..."We have a lot of tools as our disposal to measure certain movements in the mountain.....but predicting another eruption is a very uncertain thing; we wish it were predictable, or at least MORE predictable. But forecasting eruptions is very difficult, even today, with all the science we have to try to measure statistical compoundments of the mountain. It would be much easier, if say, predicting an eruption were as probable as Ohio State losing another big game in football. But unfortunately, it's not that easy......" Man, I was on the floor LMFAO.

Salem, OR

#20 Nov 4, 2009
Pryor talks big, like he's really something, he talks trash then goes out & lays another turd. At least Tebow doesn't talk all that crap; he saves the trash-talk for the game, on the field; while he's whooping the other team. Tebow is a leader, a champion. Pryor is a weak, confused, poorly-skilled QB wannabe who advertises felons on his cheeks. When Tebow can't connect on passes; he pounds the ball for a 1st down. That is a champion. Ohio State, and Penn State, are just paper lions. at least when the Florida players talk trash THEY BACK IT UP AND GO WIN. Pryor, and the Buckeyes, always make excuses; like; 1) the angle of the sun was not correct 2) the humidity was not low enough 3) Purdue inflated the footballs with helium 4) my pussy hurts 5) we had to play an "away" game and it goes on & on. Man, the excuses I've heard over the last several years are astounding. Tressel always has that same constipated look after a loss & sayd the same mundane thing "we did not deserve to win" blah blah blah "we beat ourselves" blah blah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Josh Hull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redskins cut Hull, Mouton (Apr '14) Apr '14 Gruden boys love ... 2
News So far, Penn State doesn't look like Linebacker U (Sep '10) Sep '10 fightfan 2
News PSU recruiting spotlight: North Carolina's Domi... (Jul '10) Jul '10 JoePa 1
News Rams Sign 8 Of 11 Draft Picks (Jun '10) Jun '10 triple6vamp 2
News Nittany Lions enhanced status as 'Linebacker U.... (Apr '10) May '10 Bullfarts 10
News A spring of change for Joe Paterno (Apr '10) Apr '10 Too Hilarious 4
News Big Ten football awards | BuckeyeXtra (Nov '09) Nov '09 Tennessee Bob 34
More from around the web