Rookie WR gives Colts more than they ...

Rookie WR gives Colts more than they expected

There are 100 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 1, 2008, titled Rookie WR gives Colts more than they expected. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Anthony Gonzalez's role was spelled out shortly after the Indianapolis Colts latched onto him with the final pick in the first round of the April draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Einstein

Bloomington, IN

#87 Jan 3, 2008
What the hell is goin on with Marvin? Why does the Indy media fail to get the story? How many weeks/months will you guys (media) allow the Colts organization to basically say nuthin about this status. We hear one thing and then another and still you guys fail to take them to task for not being truthful! As a consumer of the news I DON'T have the right to know anything. But your JOB is to get the information and to hold the providers of that info to the fire when what your told turns out to be less than truthful! Do Your Job(s) and refuse to simply nod your head and thank them for their time. Find the answer!
Depth Chart

Santa Clara, CA

#88 Jan 3, 2008
ColtsFanMaxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm proud of how well the Colts have done these past six seasons considering how poor they played until Dungy arrived. But, all we ever heard from opposing fans was, "Big deal. You never won a Super Bowl."
And I agree that a 16-0 season is something to be proud of since it had never been accomplished.
But, do you really think anyone, other then some Pats fans, will continue to think so if they don't win the Super Bowl? Anything less will be viewed as a failure.
I agree with you, however it's only because people are sick of the Pats. If the Colts hadn't won the SB last year it would be the same with them. People were sick of them until they finally put a full season together. It's just the way of the world!!
Grendels04

Stockton, NJ

#89 Jan 3, 2008
Einstein wrote:
What the hell is goin on with Marvin? Why does the Indy media fail to get the story? How many weeks/months will you guys (media) allow the Colts organization to basically say nuthin about this status. We hear one thing and then another and still you guys fail to take them to task for not being truthful! As a consumer of the news I DON'T have the right to know anything. But your JOB is to get the information and to hold the providers of that info to the fire when what your told turns out to be less than truthful! Do Your Job(s) and refuse to simply nod your head and thank them for their time. Find the answer!
The Indy media asks about Marvin all the time. They post said comments on the website (and I am assuming in the physical paper as well). So, what should they do? Drive to Philly and plant bugs in Marvin's house? I'm as frustrated as you, but you are not thinking clearly about this. They were told about the bursa sack and the bruised knee. Posted the information. Asked the next week and the next, and the next. I have listened to all the press conferences, etc. and I have heard the question asked. The truth of the matter is, we are not likely to ever know exactly what happened, or when or how. But, I don't think it's because the local and national media have not tried to ascertain the answer. If you want to complain about a miss on their part, ask them how they managed to miss that Diem had his knee scoped several weeks ago. That was a miss on their part.
eddy from miami

Miami, FL

#90 Jan 3, 2008
great pick,we need to think about a another receiver also
Grendels04

Stockton, NJ

#91 Jan 3, 2008
ColtsTouchdown wrote:
<quoted text>Any Sunday `
True, but BostonAmit has a point about the Steelers. They have been injury plagued the last several weeks. And, now, they are missing their first and second string left tackle and the replacement is not as experienced as Ugoh was, even when he played his first snap. They've lost their stud running back, Willie Parker. Not to mention Aaron Smith.

Sure they can win, but now it is going to be even harder to go against a revved up Jags team which is dying to prove to the world that they can play with the big boys. Unless Mike Tomlin can pull a rabbit out of his coaching hat, the Steelers are likely to lose to the Jags. But, I expect them to trip over the Pats. IMO, while the Kitty Cats are a strong team, they are not mentally prepared to play against the Pats in Gilette.
Real Fan

Mount Clemens, MI

#92 Jan 3, 2008
Einstein wrote:
Number one, chill out and shut up. It's not your business anyways. There is no law that says the stupid public is owed anything from these teams and players.

Number two, I'll tell you what's "goin" on with Harrison there slack-jaw, he's done. He's over the hill and done. He had a great career that brought him one less TD catch than Randy Moss despite two more years of action, and will retire as one of the better WR's in the past ten years. He will be replaced by Wayne and forgotten sooner than you can say "Colts lost again in NE."

Happy New Year.
Gary

Cincinnati, OH

#93 Jan 3, 2008
ColtsFanMaxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I did. But, I was mistaken. The Bears did it in 1934 and 1942. Obviously long before the merger.
My mistake.
But, it still shows how no one thinks what they accomplished is worth mentioning when compared to what the Dolphins were able to achieve.
Yeah, I figured that was just an accidental misquote on your part and I agree about having to win it all to be remembered as historic.
In defense of those old Bear teams, I think that the reason that their records have fallen by the wayside is that in those days Pro Football was not that big of a sport! Baseball was America's Game! Nobody cared! I've heard that it wasn't until games like the Colt's/Giants NFL Championship game in '58 that the game really caught America's eye and with the advent of TV it's popularity grew from there!
Bone Head

Palo Alto, CA

#94 Jan 3, 2008
Steeler fan wrote:
<quoted text>this must be a kid.. he called me a name such a tough guy.. the only way the pats would play the jags is if they beat indy not gonna happen.. but enjoy your undefeated season for now...
afc championship
colts 31
pats 24
PRICELESS
Your Pats-Jags scenario is incorrect. If the Chargers beat the Titans, it's Colts-Chargers in divisional round. The Pats would play the Steelers/Jags winner in the other game.
Bone Head

Palo Alto, CA

#95 Jan 3, 2008
BET wrote:
I't not to difficult to get wide open when the D is worried about 3 other options. You could insert almost anyone here.
If it's that easy it looks like it's time for you to strap on the pads, man up, and see how you'd fare against an NFL defender, fella.
Depth Chart

Santa Clara, CA

#96 Jan 3, 2008
Grendels04 wrote:
<quoted text>True, but BostonAmit has a point about the Steelers. They have been injury plagued the last several weeks. And, now, they are missing their first and second string left tackle and the replacement is not as experienced as Ugoh was, even when he played his first snap. They've lost their stud running back, Willie Parker. Not to mention Aaron Smith.
Sure they can win, but now it is going to be even harder to go against a revved up Jags team which is dying to prove to the world that they can play with the big boys. Unless Mike Tomlin can pull a rabbit out of his coaching hat, the Steelers are likely to lose to the Jags. But, I expect them to trip over the Pats. IMO, while the Kitty Cats are a strong team, they are not mentally prepared to play against the Pats in Gilette.
Good analysis. What people have really failed to see here, or question, is who have the Jags beat? They beat a faltering SD team who has totally turned their season around since that game. They beat a Pittsburgh team that had just gone into NE the week before and had their a$$e$ handed to them and were very beat up following the game. That game against NE was very physical.

I do think the Jags will beat the Steelers because they are indeed beat up. However don't be surprised to see the Steelers possibly win this one. I don't think the Jags are the team everybody thinks they are. Everybody is so ready to harp on the Pats' schedule but nobody has said anything regarding the Jags schedule.
Bone Head

Palo Alto, CA

#97 Jan 3, 2008
an old colts fan wrote:
Harrison is done . He didn't do much last year and did less this year. He was the best, but it's over . From now on, it's Wayne and Gonzo.
Yeah, Marvin was awful last year. Here's his measly 2006 stats (courtesy of ESPN):

Receptions: 95
Yards: 1366
Yds per catch: 14.4
Yds per game: 85.4
Long: 68
TD's: 12
NFL: Rank: 1
Dick the Bruiser

United States

#99 Jan 3, 2008
Bone Head wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's that easy it looks like it's time for you to strap on the pads, man up, and see how you'd fare against an NFL defender, fella.
You're giving he/she/it WAY too much credit. We've been subjected to these asinine comments for months and we still don't know what gender or species BET is.
BIG 10

Columbus, OH

#100 Jan 3, 2008
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure Gonzalez is white.
Gonzo is Cuban- GO BUCKEYES!
Bone Head

Palo Alto, CA

#101 Jan 3, 2008
Sorry - Marv's 2006 NFL rank was 2nd (behind Chad Johnson).
Gary

Cincinnati, OH

#102 Jan 3, 2008
Depth Chart wrote:
<quoted text>
Good analysis. What people have really failed to see here, or question, is who have the Jags beat? They beat a faltering SD team who has totally turned their season around since that game. They beat a Pittsburgh team that had just gone into NE the week before and had their a$$e$ handed to them and were very beat up following the game. That game against NE was very physical.
I do think the Jags will beat the Steelers because they are indeed beat up. However don't be surprised to see the Steelers possibly win this one. I don't think the Jags are the team everybody thinks they are. Everybody is so ready to harp on the Pats' schedule but nobody has said anything regarding the Jags schedule.
The Jags played in what IMO is the toughest overall division in football this year and fared well enough to win a wild card! They are a very physical team! My only problem with them is their constant whining, from Jack Del Rio on down! If they didn't win the game, then there was always some heinous reason beyond their control which caused it! They might get by Pittsburgh because of the Steelers injuries but the Pats will trounce them! Of course they will scream foul after it happens!
Raptor Red

Marion, IN

#103 Jan 3, 2008
I feel like Gonzalez is our Rex Grossmen, many people want him to do so well, and when he does good people like him, but when he doesn't do so good people want him traded or kicked off the team. Eh. He's doing ok now, thankfully. It seems like the Colts receivers are having problems dropping the ball, like Clark.
yup

Columbus, OH

#104 Jan 3, 2008
BostonAmit wrote:
Is it just me but, aren't the Steelers even more injury depleted than the last time they played the Jags? To be honest given the choice between Pats playing the Steelers and Jags, I would rather they play the Steelers because we know brady can light up that secondary. It will be a competitive game but, I think the Jags are peeking at the right time. Which is bad news for the Pats because they will have a tough game on their hands assuming the chargers beat the Titans. At the same time though Belichick is 6-0 in playoff games at home so the Jags, Colts or any team that comes into Gilette Stadium has a tall task ahead of them,<quoted text>
He has to have the ball first......
yup

Columbus, OH

#105 Jan 3, 2008
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>The Jags played in what IMO is the toughest overall division in football this year and fared well enough to win a wild card! They are a very physical team! My only problem with them is their constant whining, from Jack Del Rio on down! If they didn't win the game, then there was always some heinous reason beyond their control which caused it! They might get by Pittsburgh because of the Steelers injuries but the Pats will trounce them! Of course they will scream foul after it happens!
I want the jags to beat up the patsies not beat them...I want to see the colts win in gillete!
Depth Chart

San Jose, CA

#106 Jan 3, 2008
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>The Jags played in what IMO is the toughest overall division in football this year and fared well enough to win a wild card! They are a very physical team! My only problem with them is their constant whining, from Jack Del Rio on down! If they didn't win the game, then there was always some heinous reason beyond their control which caused it! They might get by Pittsburgh because of the Steelers injuries but the Pats will trounce them! Of course they will scream foul after it happens!
Yes, they played in probably the toughest division, however they went 2-4 if I am not mistaken (call it 3-3 if you like since they gave the last one away). That's not good. Other than SD and Pittsburgh though, who else did they face that had any merit? Tampa maybe who they barely beat. Honestly, they didn't have a tough schedule.

I agree, the Pats will trounce them. They should pray for a lot of snow if they come to NE. It's about the only thing that will slow NE down.

Yes, they do complain!!! They are already complaining about the field in Pittsburgh....shut up and play the game.....Indy and NE are a few of the only teams that get the whole "keep your mouth shut and focus on the game" philosophy.....Jax doesn't......
uprooted hoosier

Moline, IL

#107 Jan 3, 2008
Raptor Red wrote:
I feel like Gonzalez is our Rex Grossmen, many people want him to do so well, and when he does good people like him, but when he doesn't do so good people want him traded or kicked off the team. Eh. He's doing ok now, thankfully. It seems like the Colts receivers are having problems dropping the ball, like Clark.
huh,gonzo is a rookie thrown into the fire faster than they planned and he has responded very well. we will never have a rex grossman. dallas had 1 bad game and more than made up fot it the next game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joseph Addai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News An early look at how the Patriots roster stands... (Jun '12) Jun '12 No One Special 1
News 2011 Indianapolis Colts season in review (Jan '12) Jan '12 Yep 4
News Friday notes: Rey out for Colts; Skuta on deck;... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Smellthefarts 2
News Irsay: 'Outside chance' Peyton back in Dec. (Sep '11) Sep '11 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Colts QB Manning out after another neck surgery (Sep '11) Sep '11 Colts Fan-atic 8
News Vikings offer RBs coaching job to fired Colts a... (Jan '11) Feb '11 Newtonfarts 92
News Pittsburgh RB loses a yard (Dec '10) Dec '10 Oh yeah 1
More from around the web