Bears won't change defensive philosophy

Bears won't change defensive philosophy

There are 14 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 4, 2008, titled Bears won't change defensive philosophy. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The mere suggestion of tweaking the Cover-2 defensive scheme makes Lovie Smith a bit edgy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

J W Chi

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 4, 2008
It is time to get rid of the Babbich , Smith, the rest of the coaching staff and the fool Jerry Angelo!. The only exception might be the special teams coach. Until the Owners gets rid of the coaching staff and Jerry Angelo we are destined for Losing seasons and being home for the Playoffs.

Smith was too worried about his job when Rivera was still with the Bears that is why he got rid of him. To bad Smith sacrificed the teams success for his own security with the Bears. A good manager surrounds himself with assistants that make up for his weaknesses. Too bad Smith will never realize that and become successful.

The McCaskeys have no pride what so ever, I wonder what Papa Bear George Halas is doing right now. probably kicking up a dirt storm! They are sure wrecking his pride and joy and it seems they do not care about it at all!
One of the original teams that started the leauge and a proud and powerful Football Franchise now the laughing stock of Pro Football!
Deepwater Salvage

Jeffersonville, IN

#2 Sep 5, 2008
Are you sure that he isn't Capt. Lovie Smith of the Titanic talking? He sure sounds a lot like the Capt. Smith that "went down with the ship" that cold night in 1912.
Mgray

Riverdale, GA

#3 Sep 5, 2008
Lovie the HEADLESS coach is over. I can't wait 4 this coaching staff 2 be unemployed.
ecko

Glen Ellyn, IL

#4 Sep 5, 2008
that's the problem with the bears they don't know how to adjust and stick with the same old $hit.
brian

Villa Park, IL

#5 Sep 5, 2008
why would they change their ways? it worked so well for them last year! does lovie know the meaning of the word "adjustments"?
Mgray

Riverdale, GA

#6 Sep 5, 2008
I hope Lovey enjoys his 1st and last stint as a head coach in the NFL.
Anchower

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Sep 5, 2008
Under Babich, it should be renamed the "Play Like #2" defense
SteveFL

United States

#8 Sep 5, 2008
They're right,its not the scheme. Its been working in Tampa for years. There is just no sense of urgency and no agressiveness. The Bears never seem to be ready to play. And, its not gonna happen with a head coach that always appears to be sleepwalking. Expect to see Bill Cowher or Rex Ryan, Buddy's son, on the sidelines next year.
Kevin

AOL

#9 Sep 5, 2008
To me, the biggest problem with the cover 2 seems to be that it makes the linebackers less of a threat on the pass rush.

I remember fondly the 46 when Wilbur Marshall and Otis Wilson especially would knock the snot out of quarterbacks so bad that the quarterbacks quit - or at least played like it did.

From an opposing quarterback's mindset, I would think that there is zero fear of Briggs or Urlacher, where I'm sure the old time guys always had their eye on where Wilbur Marshall was. And, that helped our '85 defense be super entertaining and something to be proud of.

I want teams to fear playing our defense and that certainly does not seem to be the case for the last year and a half. And, it probably won't change as long as Lovie and Babich are in charge.
Creighton

Evanston, IL

#10 Sep 5, 2008
Why mister Babbich you have only earmarked 99.9 percent of the defense, what ever is that last 1 tenth of a percent for?

"Blitzing"

Wow thats around 1 blitz every game and a half.

"Awsome"
Mgray

Riverdale, GA

#11 Sep 5, 2008
SteveFL wrote:
. The Bears never seem to be ready to play..
Steve u are 100% right and then they have excuses about why they were not ready after they lose. I'm really tired of Lovey and his whole staff. They seem 2 think they can win games by talking tough.
BRIAN

Madison, MS

#12 Sep 5, 2008
Hell they better not, defense is the only damn thing they have.
allchifan

Carbondale, IL

#13 Sep 5, 2008
We could play a cover 12 and Babich will still get beat by a lot...he never should of kept his job after last year's defensive game...the only way he is still around is that Lovie likes him...it is a shame that someone didn't fire Lovie, Turner, Babich and Angelo sooner....I know we are to trust Smith but he lies about all kinds of stuff.....injuries, players performance, etc. He can't lead and he certainly can't coach...Wonder what he will say during our lousy season...he probalby will say let's wait until the end of the season to evaluate...When we are 4-12 there doesn't need to be an evaluation....just a firing of the entire Bears management team......start over....
UICMan

Melrose Park, IL

#14 Sep 5, 2008
Remember when Buddy Ryan left and Ditka renamed the 46 defense the "Bear" defense? The Babich version of the cover 2 should be renamed the "Stag" defense since opponents go through it like s**t through a goose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joseph Addai Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News An early look at how the Patriots roster stands... (Jun '12) Jun '12 No One Special 1
News 2011 Indianapolis Colts season in review (Jan '12) Jan '12 Yep 4
News Friday notes: Rey out for Colts; Skuta on deck;... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Smellthefarts 2
News Irsay: 'Outside chance' Peyton back in Dec. (Sep '11) Sep '11 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Colts QB Manning out after another neck surgery (Sep '11) Sep '11 Colts Fan-atic 8
News Vikings offer RBs coaching job to fired Colts a... (Jan '11) Feb '11 Newtonfarts 92
News Pittsburgh RB loses a yard (Dec '10) Dec '10 Oh yeah 1
More from around the web