The studs and duds of Ted Thompson's ...

The studs and duds of Ted Thompson's Packers drafts

There are 19 comments on the WisInfo story from Apr 18, 2009, titled The studs and duds of Ted Thompson's Packers drafts. In it, WisInfo reports that:

Everyone knows what a draft bust looks like. Picture Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith or Ki-Jana Carter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Apr 19, 2009
Clearly TT is better at drafting duds than studs. His success rate is below accepted league standards. This explains TTs losing record and the Packers 6-10 record last year. It does not bode well for a GM that relies on building a team primarily through the draft..

We know that TT is less than average at conducting drafts. How does he make up for his incompetence at the draft? Free agency? Trades? Pulling a rabbit out of his hat? Inserting so many Packer fan heads up his butt? You decide!
eric

Necedah, WI

#2 Apr 19, 2009
yep a 4-12 team to the NFC championship game in 3 seasons,yep he sure sucks doesn't he?

AR
Ryan Grant
Greg Jennings
Ryan Pickett
AJ Hawk
Jordy Nelson
Atari Bigby
Tramon williams
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins
Mason Crosby
Wil Blackmon?( meaning he was either the last of SHerman or TT first,cant remember)
Jason Spitz if you move him to center
Jonny Jolly
Brandon Chilar
so yep just a list of some of the losers Ted has picked or signed as FA.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#3 Apr 19, 2009
This looks like an impressive list of talent, but the bottom line is we were 6-10 last season and 13-3 before that. This is all history and the true measure will come this season and will this apparent talent produce a winning season? Right now, only the Lions are probably out of the division title picture. The Bears and Vikes look very competitive and have some players.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Apr 19, 2009
eric wrote:
yep a 4-12 team to the NFC championship game in 3 seasons,yep he sure sucks doesn't he?
AR
Ryan Grant
Greg Jennings
Ryan Pickett
AJ Hawk
Jordy Nelson
Atari Bigby
Tramon williams
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins
Mason Crosby
Wil Blackmon?( meaning he was either the last of SHerman or TT first,cant remember)
Jason Spitz if you move him to center
Jonny Jolly
Brandon Chilar
so yep just a list of some of the losers Ted has picked or signed as FA.
Yep, a 10-6 team to a 6-10 team in four seasons. HE DEFINITELY SUCKS!

Since I'm not as stupid as you, just pretend that I wasted my time by typing in the names of all his draft duds.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Apr 19, 2009
eric wrote:
yep a 4-12 team to the NFC championship game in 3 seasons,yep he sure sucks doesn't he?
AR
Ryan Grant
Greg Jennings
Ryan Pickett
AJ Hawk
Jordy Nelson
Atari Bigby
Tramon williams
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins
Mason Crosby
Wil Blackmon?( meaning he was either the last of SHerman or TT first,cant remember)
Jason Spitz if you move him to center
Jonny Jolly
Brandon Chilar
so yep just a list of some of the losers Ted has picked or signed as FA.
So your argument for TT is based upon ignoring the facts (TT took over a 10-6 team, he created the 4-12 team) and ignoring every decision except the ones you like. Do you understand why "ignoring" and "ignorant" have the same root? Of course you don't!
eric

Necedah, WI

#6 Apr 19, 2009
dont you get the fact the Packers were way over the cap so he had to cut starters and rebuild so we went to 4-12 with a new team? Yes your hatred and obsession with Ted has certainly clouded your view,so i thought id be a fellow fan and help you out!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Apr 19, 2009
eric wrote:
dont you get the fact the Packers were way over the cap so he had to cut starters and rebuild so we went to 4-12 with a new team? Yes your hatred and obsession with Ted has certainly clouded your view,so i thought id be a fellow fan and help you out!
You are coming along. At least you now admit that TT created the 4-12 team. See, admitting the truth is not that difficult. The next step is to accept the truth.
eric

Necedah, WI

#8 Apr 20, 2009
i never denied that TT created the 4 win team,Do you remember when the Packers had to let Wahle go because of the cap sit?Lost Rivera because Dallas grossly overpaid for him?
my point is you cant consider a GM bad when he built the team to the title game from a 4 win team in 3 years,because he had a down year,especially with all the chaos,first year stater at qb,and injuries ect,its happened to every team from time to time,it sucks but it happens.Now if the Packers go 6-10 or whatever this year,then im all for reviewing the situation and hiring a new GM because you cant stand still,you have to get better. falling back for 1 season after 3 seasons of progression happens,but,the mark of a good GM is getting back to the progression after you fall back.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#9 Apr 20, 2009
We have been a winning franchise ever since Brett played QB. We have to admit he was a huge part in our success. Rogers had some good statistics, but he needs to develop a little better management. Of course if Crosby makes those two kicks, we would have been 8-8. I believe TT has done a good job if for no other reason, not spending big bucks for FA's that don't bring back the value. He also stands up and won't let a player/agent intimidate him like Javon Walker or the CB we sent to the Saints. He also cut Carroll in the middle of the season (former #1 pick). So he has a thick skin. But, GBPfan has been harping on wins and we all know that is what it really comes down to.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Apr 20, 2009
eric wrote:
i never denied that TT created the 4 win team,Do you remember when the Packers had to let Wahle go because of the cap sit?Lost Rivera because Dallas grossly overpaid for him?
my point is you cant consider a GM bad when he built the team to the title game from a 4 win team in 3 years,because he had a down year,especially with all the chaos,first year stater at qb,and injuries ect,its happened to every team from time to time,it sucks but it happens.Now if the Packers go 6-10 or whatever this year,then im all for reviewing the situation and hiring a new GM because you cant stand still,you have to get better. falling back for 1 season after 3 seasons of progression happens,but,the mark of a good GM is getting back to the progression after you fall back.
The mark of a good GM is getting back to the progression after you fall back? What a ridiculous claim!

So falling back is necessary to being a good GM? Well, you got me there. We know TT excels at this aspect of your definition of a good GM. In just 4 years he has created the 2 biggest collapses in Packer history. TT certainly is the "falling back" champion.

I am one of those crazy people that don't consider failure to be success. As insane as this may sound, I judge a GM on whether there is evidence that he has improved a team. I look at all the facts. I don't focus solely on the facts that support what I wish to believe, while ignoring the facts that don't support what I wish to believe.

You need to believe in logic and unbiased, rational thinking in order to understand what I am talking about. Keep working at it. I wouldn't put you in the category of a completely lost cause, yet.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 Apr 20, 2009
Eric, when you find yourself saying things like "the mark of a good GM is getting back to the progression after you fall back" you need to stop and think. Do I make sense? Is this correct? Is this really what I mean? If not, why did I say it this way? Prejudices and biases are often at the heart of why you might find yourself saying nonsensical things. You need to be honest to yourself in order to avoid these traps.
eric

Necedah, WI

#12 Apr 20, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
The mark of a good GM is getting back to the progression after you fall back? What a ridiculous claim!
So falling back is necessary to being a good GM? Well, you got me there. We know TT excels at this aspect of your definition of a good GM. In just 4 years he has created the 2 biggest collapses in Packer history. TT certainly is the "falling back" champion.
I am one of those crazy people that don't consider failure to be success. As insane as this may sound, I judge a GM on whether there is evidence that he has improved a team. I look at all the facts. I don't focus solely on the facts that support what I wish to believe, while ignoring the facts that don't support what I wish to believe.
You need to believe in logic and unbiased, rational thinking in order to understand what I am talking about. Keep working at it. I wouldn't put you in the category of a completely lost cause, yet.
so im assuming every one of your favorite GMs;snever had a fall back?
No team has ever fallen back 7 games because they lost half or more of their defense to injuries and lost 7 games by less then a TD and with more experienced qb we could or should have won a few of those and like WAl said if Crosby hit those 2 FG we would be 8-8,but,your obsession with Ted wont let you see any common sense apparently.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#13 Apr 20, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>so im assuming every one of your favorite GMs;snever had a fall back?
No team has ever fallen back 7 games because they lost half or more of their defense to injuries and lost 7 games by less then a TD and with more experienced qb we could or should have won a few of those and like WAl said if Crosby hit those 2 FG we would be 8-8,but,your obsession with Ted wont let you see any common sense apparently.
I can see that your progress is going to be in baby steps. One step forward, two steps back, one step forward, you fall flat on your face.

Okay, let me explain this to you. Falling back is not something that makes a GM good. So, "falling back" doesn't belong in the definition of what it means to be a good GM. Is this too difficult to understand? Do I need to say it again? Just let it sink in awhile.
eric

Necedah, WI

#14 Apr 20, 2009
i get it falling back is not good,it sucks,but,injuries happen,shit happens and sometimes you cant belame a GM for what happens,now if the Packers go 6-10 again,iagree its time to at least view the situation and take action if it requires a new GM im all for it,but,after 3 great strides forward and we fell back last year you just dont go fire a GM because of an injury filled team.as a matter of fact teams like Washington,Dallas who spend money like water and didnt win anything lets me know Ted has done well there,he has been abit of a turtle in FA but spending sprees don't work and we are the only team without an owner with deep pockets so the Packers have to be careful how to spend the money.yes we have alot of cash but with out of control signing bonuses 2 big FA and there goes the money
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 Apr 20, 2009
eric wrote:
i get it falling back is not good,it sucks,but,injuries happen,shit happens and sometimes you cant belame a GM for what happens,now if the Packers go 6-10 again,iagree its time to at least view the situation and take action if it requires a new GM im all for it,but,after 3 great strides forward and we fell back last year you just dont go fire a GM because of an injury filled team.as a matter of fact teams like Washington,Dallas who spend money like water and didnt win anything lets me know Ted has done well there,he has been abit of a turtle in FA but spending sprees don't work and we are the only team without an owner with deep pockets so the Packers have to be careful how to spend the money.yes we have alot of cash but with out of control signing bonuses 2 big FA and there goes the money
See, this is another good example of focusing only on irrelevant things while ignoring the facts that you wish to ignore.

Being frugal is admirable for many reasons. However, no team wins games or championships for being frugal. This is an irrelevant issue. In fact, the most frugal team has never won the Superbowl. So, if it is relevant, your argument actually works against TT.

And again you are focusing exclusively on the steps forward while ignoring the steps backward. Facts are facts, both good and bad.

As long as you refuse to accept the truth, we will continue to play this game where I point out the flaws in your thinking. The only way for you to "win" is to commit yourself to logic and reason. Please try it.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#16 Apr 20, 2009
In defense of Eric, I feel we are in a better position to be successful for the long run by the moves TT has made by building through the draft. I say we wait and see how this team plays this year before we throw the towel in on TT. Most would agree that our GM would have to have a successful season to keep his job. In addition the way Brett was handled didn't help TT cause any. Favre was the face of our team for over fifteen years many of which were very successful. Many fans, myself included, just felt management handled his situation all wrong. Nothing is going change as far as GM/coach going into this season, so we might as well just chill and let this play itself out. I see no reason why this team couldn't have a very good season.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 Apr 20, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
In defense of Eric, I feel we are in a better position to be successful for the long run by the moves TT has made by building through the draft. I say we wait and see how this team plays this year before we throw the towel in on TT. Most would agree that our GM would have to have a successful season to keep his job. In addition the way Brett was handled didn't help TT cause any. Favre was the face of our team for over fifteen years many of which were very successful. Many fans, myself included, just felt management handled his situation all wrong. Nothing is going change as far as GM/coach going into this season, so we might as well just chill and let this play itself out. I see no reason why this team couldn't have a very good season.
I've seen all I need to see of TT. I have no faith in him as you can tell. I don't believe he will do anything to change my mind this season. So unless the Packers jump out to a very good start I have no intention of letting support for our failure of a GM go unchallenged.

I do agree that no changes will likely occur before or during the season. However, I can hope. But, as you can see it is difficult to get many to change their position regarding TT. It is not too early to make sure they do not continue to view TT through rose colored glasses.
normallylikeyell ow

Martinsburg, PA

#18 Apr 20, 2009
I would agree if we retained more players and had some depth on the team. A couple of injuries and we crumbled last year. We could lose several key free agents after this season. All eyes will be the Jennings situation, but there are key contributors that could walk to better offers.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#19 Apr 23, 2009
This is an excellent article. It is a "must read" for any and every Packer fan that wants the facts presented in a fair and objective manner. WARNING: This article should be avoided by Packer fans that prefer living in a fantasy world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jordy Nelson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for Green Bay Packers vs. De... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 2
News NFL: Cowboys' top cornerback Orlando Scandrick ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Fart news 4
News Packers trying to get Randall Cobb signed (Feb '15) Feb '15 GBPmies 1
News Making a case for MVP: Packers' Aaron Rodgers t... (Dec '14) Jan '15 Laughing Bear Fan 62
News Green Bay Packers: Dropped passes prove devasta... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Johnny JamBoogie 4
News Shy of the Packers' Run Game, Team Limiting Gro... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Pete SamprAssfarts 2
News Pats are unanimous No. 1 in AP Pro32 rankings (Nov '14) Dec '14 Flatulence Fred 43
More from around the web