USC coach Carroll continues to suppor...

USC coach Carroll continues to support Barkley

There are 26 comments on the LA Daily News story from Nov 18, 2009, titled USC coach Carroll continues to support Barkley. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Perhaps the most famous statement made by USC coach Pete Carroll this season occurred when he said freshman Matt Barkley is playing as well as any quarterback he's ever coached.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe Smith

Alhambra, CA

#21 Nov 19, 2009
I think PC realizes that Barkley is the key to the future. i think PC is willing to sacrifice this year in order to prepare barkley for the next two or three. also, barkley is a true freshman, unlike that kid up at stanford. being in a system for a year makes a difference. i think that most teams have figured out caroll's very simplistic play calling.
W Cappacistelli

San Bernardino, CA

#22 Nov 19, 2009
Corp should have been the QB Carroll developed this year by letting him play the entire season because he is much better than Barkley. Corp has the missing elements such as competitiveness and running skills much better than Barkley. Corp reminds me of Sanchez with the proper attitude. Carroll is a good coach as his record speaks for itself but he is not infallible and I believe the coaching staff got it wrong on this one deal this year. I really don't see the killing instinct when I watch Barkley play. Its just not there.
RESPIRATO

Monrovia, CA

#23 Nov 19, 2009
ClamperMike wrote:
I believe Forcier is the only other true freshman that you mentioned and by now way is that a good comparision.
LUCK WAS THERE LAST YEAR AS A REDSHIRT

“Fight On!”

Since: Aug 09

Los Angeles

#24 Nov 20, 2009
Joe Smith wrote:
I think PC realizes that Barkley is the key to the future. i think PC is willing to sacrifice this year in order to prepare barkley for the next two or three.
I hope you are right, but why is Pete making excuses instead of being upfront with the fans? I do not recall him saying this is a "rebuilding year" and that we should expect a few losses. Those of us who follow the program closely figured as much before the start of the season, but it would be nice to see some confidence in his young team coming from the coach rather than watch him scratch his head dumbfounded when we lose and blame the tempo of practices. Losses are only bad when you do not learn from the mistakes.
Alex

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#25 Nov 20, 2009
if ur reading this article then ur reading because most likely ur an SC fan, if ur on here and ur not, then I guess somewher deep down, u wanna be a trojan..lol..with that said get off the kids back, no hes not playin up to the previous quaterbacks level...yet, look what kind of team each of them had to work with....yes thers other freshman QBs this season playin a lot better, but just as everyone knows...
when it comes to SC people expect excellence, always....and since no ones had to see the trojans have a re-building year...in bout shhhit idk 5/6 years...all the sudden every piece of this "new era" gets a lot of shit, and yes Matt will be the future of the program, and ther most def. not in trouble...aaron corp got his chance, maybe he'll get another, but the flashes of good that barkley has shown, give me plenty to smile about, let them work out the kinks and give this team a lil bit of time....lol...yes were allways the sh%t, and no ones used to seeing usc loose 3 times, but damn, can we pleeez have one season to slow down and re group...we are pretty spoiled over here though, so I can understand everyones frustration, Barkely ur 19 and tight as fu*k...just laugh off all the critisism, I would, USC will be back....weather you or anyone else likes it or not, sorry to whoever gets them...when ther clicking like the team were used to seeing...lol...FITE ON.
JonathanS

United States

#26 Nov 20, 2009
W Cappacistelli wrote:
Corp should have been the QB Carroll developed this year by letting him play the entire season because he is much better than Barkley. Corp has the missing elements such as competitiveness and running skills much better than Barkley. Corp reminds me of Sanchez with the proper attitude. Carroll is a good coach as his record speaks for itself but he is not infallible and I believe the coaching staff got it wrong on this one deal this year. I really don't see the killing instinct when I watch Barkley play. Its just not there.
You have got to be kidding me! Did you watch the Washington game?! Following that game would you describe Corp as having a killer instinct or did you miss the ball he skipped to to a wide open Anthony McCoy? Oh thats right you like his competitiveness. He looked like a deer in headlights out there. Oh and he rushed for 9 yards. Don't give me nonsense about poor play calling or Carroll didn't name him as the starter early enough. That was Corp's shot to earn back the starting job and make the coaches wonder about who to start. Instead Corp throws for 110 yards and a pick. I'm not saying Barkley is playing like a Heisman trophy winner or is free from reproach but to say Corp is obviously the answer is blind to one the way he played is his lone game as starter. By the way we are 7-3 and the defense isn't doing us any favors to help keep us in games. Blindly saying a switch in QB will solve our problems proves you are not aware of many things that have led to a less than steller season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.