USC coach Carroll continues to support Barkley

Full story: LA Daily News

Perhaps the most famous statement made by USC coach Pete Carroll this season occurred when he said freshman Matt Barkley is playing as well as any quarterback he's ever coached.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Trojsteve5

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 19, 2009
 
Really tired of that one sentence used for Barkley, "He gives us our best chance to win". Maybe down by 21 after the horrid pass interception, a relief qb could get a chance to play instead of the last minute plus down by 34 to just hand off. Hope Bates gets a job in the NFL anywhere along with Jethro Franklin. Good news about Williams. Linebackers definitely needed in the next recruiting class.
dv4sc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

By O'Dowd not playing in the last few games, it means that our first or second best lineman is sitting while our sixth best lineman is playing. Not to mention the shuffling of players into different positions than they are best suited for. With O'Dowd at center the line gives better pass protection and creates giant holes, which have completely disappeared during his recent hiatus. I watched O'Dowd pleading to get into the game against Stanford for nearly the entire second half. As crappy as the line was performing, and it was bad, the coaches were totally ignoring him. It was very obvious that they did not want to try him out in a real game situation, thus sticking him in on the last series of the game.
Elsie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

dv4sc does not get it that ODowd has not been able to driveblock since his injury, and the fact that the O line was doing fine until the turnovers sunk them.
JonathanS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 19, 2009
 
Why is it so important to fans that Carroll admit Barkley is struggling at times this season? Give it a rest Scott, you discuss this infamous Carroll quote almost daily. We all know Barkley can improve and Carroll knows this as well but he's trying to instill confidence in Matt by talking him up and not placing the teams struggles on him. The kid is young and is the future of the program and we need to keep his confidence up. What would you rather hear him say after the Stanford game: "Matt really cost us the game today", "Unless Matt improves we will continue to struggle", "Our QB play has been terrible". Why is it so important that Barkley get ridiculed publically by Carroll? All I think Carroll was saying with his quote is that with Matt playing as a true freshman he is accomplishing as much as can be expected right now. Not that he is better than Carson or Leinart, but where he as at as an 18 year old is pretty remarkable in such a complicated system. Those past guys never played as true freshman so we can't compare them really. Drop your obession with this quote Scott!

Since: Sep 09

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 19, 2009
 
JonathanS wrote:
Why is it so important to fans that Carroll admit Barkley is struggling at times this season? Give it a rest Scott, you discuss this infamous Carroll quote almost daily. We all know Barkley can improve and Carroll knows this as well but he's trying to instill confidence in Matt by talking him up and not placing the teams struggles on him. The kid is young and is the future of the program and we need to keep his confidence up. What would you rather hear him say after the Stanford game: "Matt really cost us the game today", "Unless Matt improves we will continue to struggle", "Our QB play has been terrible". Why is it so important that Barkley get ridiculed publically by Carroll? All I think Carroll was saying with his quote is that with Matt playing as a true freshman he is accomplishing as much as can be expected right now. Not that he is better than Carson or Leinart, but where he as at as an 18 year old is pretty remarkable in such a complicated system. Those past guys never played as true freshman so we can't compare them really. Drop your obession with this quote Scott!
Because everything he is doing for this kid is out of character for the program. Corp only got one half ass shot before he was trashed, this kid does nothing to impress me, yet he gets to keep on trying. If he is the future, SC is in trouble. They need playmakers at all positions and Barkley isn't one. He runs the play thats called and if everything goes perfect it looks good, but if something breaks down he's lost, and don't give me that freshmen BS, look at Andrew Luck, Cantrel at Oregon State, Forcier at Michigan, etc. Sometimes you have to make the play.
ClamperMike

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 19, 2009
 
I believe Forcier is the only other true freshman that you mentioned and by now way is that a good comparision.
Trojan Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 19, 2009
 
As long as Carroll supports Barkley, his golden boy, we will continue to struggle and lose games. If he must start pull him when he struggles, don't go down on a sinking ship. We have 2 good quarterbacks waiting to be prepared and given confidence. Is Carroll blind, stupid, stubborn, or all 3? If Carroll lives by Barkley he'll die by Barkley and so will the team. This breaks my heart.

Since: Sep 09

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 19, 2009
 
ClamperMike wrote:
I believe Forcier is the only other true freshman that you mentioned and by now way is that a good comparision.
My point, why is he starting, and being given all these accolades,when he's not even the best freshmen true or redshirt around. Where's pete on recruiting? He signed this kid as a junior in high school and doesn't want to eat his words, this kid aint it.
Trojan Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 19, 2009
 
Right on Trojsteve5 & Pasadena OG! Fight On for ol' SC!

Since: Sep 09

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 19, 2009
 
ClamperMike wrote:
I believe Forcier is the only other true freshman that you mentioned and by now way is that a good comparision.
Also Forcier doesn't have the supposedly great talent around him that Barkley has, yet he plays harder, makes plays happen when things break down, athletic kid, that's what you need as a freshmen playing QB at this level. Barkley is nothing more than a game manager and not very good at it.

“Fight On!”

Since: Aug 09

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

JonathanS wrote:
Drop your obession with this quote Scott!
Amen! Look, I think Pete knows what he is doing since he has a fairly decent record in the NCCA and Barkley's record as a true freshman is fairly decent as well. If he is placing his trust in Barkley and not having a competition for the starting position throughout the season, there is a good reason for it. It means Corp and Mustain are not up to par. Why can't people understand that?

BTW, do you realize Scott Wolf is a Trojan, albeit an obviously disgruntled one at best? It seems like he takes pride in USC's misfortunes for some strange reason.
Barn

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 19, 2009
 
Migraines? Whats up with McNight?
ClamperMike

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 19, 2009
 
Pasadena OG wrote:
<quoted text>My point, why is he starting, and being given all these accolades,when he's not even the best freshmen true or redshirt around. Where's pete on recruiting? He signed this kid as a junior in high school and doesn't want to eat his words, this kid aint it.
You can't really compare a true freshman QB to a redshirt freshman QB ther is a year of experiance of being in the system difference.
ClamperMike

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 19, 2009
 
Pasadena OG wrote:
<quoted text>Also Forcier doesn't have the supposedly great talent around him that Barkley has, yet he plays harder, makes plays happen when things break down, athletic kid, that's what you need as a freshmen playing QB at this level. Barkley is nothing more than a game manager and not very good at it.
No arguing that Forcier is an atletic kid but his record is no where near as impressive as Barkely's.
ClamperMike

Studio City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 19, 2009
 
Barn wrote:
Migraines? Whats up with McNight?
Agreed. This has been an issue since he came to SC. I wonder if there is some underlying condition.
a-a-rozell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

If Carroll had taken the same amount of time with Mitch Mustain as he has with Matt, they would have a winning quarterback. Carroll is strong on his own self. I do not think that Carroll is as great as he thinks he is.
Brett Favre

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 19, 2009
 
I think the real reason for PC to stick with MB is for the long term. Since he is a freshman, he will be around for the next 2 to 3 years at least, unlike Corp or Mustain. I think Sanchez leaving last year really dramatized him to the point that he would choose an "ok" freshman over a good senior.
Jack

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

So if MB7 ggoes 5-21 in the first half against UCLA with two picks and a fumble, and SC is down by 21, there will be no change? This constant fawning over BArkley is sickening. Two weeks ago I heard PC on the PMS Show and he said that if Sanchez would have come back, "He would have more than likely been the starter." Are you kidding me. PC is that in love with Barkley that he would even consider him to be better than Sanchez is in itself all you need to see and hear to make the conclusion that PC is delusional. If the general public can see this, what do you think is going inside the Trojan locker room? This is the PRIMARY reason that SC is having the year they are. There is no trust between the players and coaches and there are blatant favorites being played. In the end this deal with Barkley will set the program back five years...good luck getting any decent QB's coming in the next rectuiting classes.
JonathanS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 19, 2009
 
Pasadena OG wrote:
<quoted text>Also Forcier doesn't have the supposedly great talent around him that Barkley has, yet he plays harder, makes plays happen when things break down, athletic kid, that's what you need as a freshmen playing QB at this level. Barkley is nothing more than a game manager and not very good at it.
If you think Forcier is one of the better true freshman playing in the NCAA you have to be kidding yourself. Currently Michigan is 5-6 and a horrendous 1-6 in conference (the miserable Big 10). What ever kind of athleticsim you think Forcier has it's not winning games. Last I checked SC was 7-3, With numerous wins over Top 25 competition (mostly on the road)! Don't give me Andrew Luck either as he as a Redshirt freshman, and we all know the difference a year can make. I'm not here to argue that MB is playing lights out but why the need for fans to hear Carroll publically criticize him. No one would doubt how badly Pete wants to win so at this point he thinks MB give us that best chance. If one of the backups were more capable Carroll would play them. What makes you think Mustain or Corp is the answer?! Do you watch film of them after practice everyday?! Do you know our system better than Pete?! I agree changes need to be made but I don't think it simply involves rotating QB's all the time.

Lastly as far as your assumption that Barkley has more talant around him than Luck or Forcier I think that has been exaggerated. What are you basing that knowledge on, Rivals or Scout? Five and four star recruits? Last I checked those rankings are subject and don't guarantee success on the field. Ever hear of Whitney Lewis? The PAC-10 is very good this year and just to assume we should win every because we recruit better is naive. I don't like getting blown our either but last I checked we are still 7-3 with a chance to win 10 games. It's not like we are 1-6 in conference like Michigan and Forcier. Oh, I forgot you like his athletiscism.
zekethemeek

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 19, 2009
 
Oh PLEASE let Bates Go ..........ANYWHERE !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••