EXCLUSIVE: Bears Taking Keen Interest In Mendenhall

Full story: NBC 5 Chicago

Peggy Kusinski reports the Bears' visit with Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall may have surprised even themselves.
Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mark

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

oh great - another college star turned NFL bust running back. Just what we need, undersized ineffective backs. Way to go Bears!
Keith C

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

They'd be FOOLISH to enter the season with questions at QB and RB. If nothing else, package those "tampering" picks together and move up to select either Mendenhall or Mcfadden, if available. Then utilize the Free Agency to acquire a top flight tackle or reverse - Pick up a top flight tackle and "pray" a real running back is availble via free agency..
Keith C

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

Mark must not follow football - mendenhall is 220lbs + as a RB. Maybe he's confusing him with Rutgers Rice..

Since: Apr 08

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

keith....have you been keeping up with current events regarding the bears?
Hambone

Hazel Crest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

Typical fans of the Bears,Sox cubs,bulls Hawks ect,they don;t no beans,just like the media pure specs,someone gets a hard on for a player get rid of the sob,run him out of town,boy would I like some of them back over the years compared to what we got in return.
paulh

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

I really think that this kid will be an excellent NFL back. I would've expected that the Bears would draft him (if still available) had they gone out during free agency and addressed the needs of their offensive line - and, fact is, they need plenty of help. Can they afford to pass on a highly regarded college left tackle? I honestly don't think so. I don't care HOW good a college back is, if his blockers are being beat every down - he won't be going anywhere.
Mike

Northville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

The Bears shouldn't go for Mendenhall - They have Benson.

Lions Fan
richard a

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

if cincinati doesn't take mendenhal then the bears should jump all over this back ,then they can take a offensive lineman with the next to picks, look we need a little common sense here people, if the bears are smart they can utilize all 11 picks wisely and i think we'll be just fine if not i think they will be drafting #1 in 2009.
Peeva

Chatfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

Judged:

Go ahead Bears take Mendenhall, I'd rather Detroit not have to draft a RB with the 15th pick. A good one can be found in a later round. The Lions need that tackle with #15.
Larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

They need to get Mendenhall! The Offensive Line drafts are not that impressive and they can get tallent in the later rounds. But Mendenhall is a complete back and if he makes it to 14 they need to take him. There are better Offensive Line picks coming out in next years draft but I don't see another Back at Mendenhall's size and ability coming out anytime soon.
RaulOso

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

watch film of Mendenhall on you tube. you will see he is a demon tailback and has a resiliency in him of not being taken down. He finds holes where they don't exist and goes for the home run. He didn't have a strong offensive line. Benson on the other hand is a slow motion pound back that really needs a strong offensive line with holes open for him to get through, and he trips on his own feet. Imagine Mendenhall and Hester on the same offense. now imagine the Bears getting two or three offensive lineman in the draft to put some juice on their line. Showtime.
RaulOso

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

Judged:

Ortonites unite! Mendenhall and Orton at QB is a more opportune makeup for the Bears. The resiliency of Juice Williams and his mobility really complemented Mendenhall. Ortons got some of that juice, plus in the last games Orton really looked more like the resilient Purdue gun slinger that was so close to the Heismann. The picture is looking better. Hope is on the way. Yes We Can.
jae

Rome, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

leave Mendenhall to the lions if they want him, no line no production get a back a we'll still have no offense get some youth up front give the QB and RB's a fighting change. 2006 Jones and Benson both 4.1yds per carry 6tds year later line older and hurt Benson and Peterson 3.4yds per carry and getting Qb's killed .As the line goes so does the offense ask Tom Brady he'll tell you
Nigel7

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

The Bears needs this kid. He's a better version of the running back they traded away in Thomas Jones. I say give everything away for this guy.
JUAN

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

THE BEARS SHOULD HAVE GONE FOR WARRICK DUNN INSTEAD....
JUAN

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

MAYBE THE BEARS SHOULD GO FOR MR WIDE RECIVER OCHO CINCO..ALSO...IF HE WANTS OUT OF CINCY...
sean c

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

forget it draft a left tackle,i dont care how good a back is if theres no holes he useless!
RaulOso

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

The fact that both Bears fans and Bears critics are making little to no fuss about the possibility of Benson not being the feature running back sais to me that Benson is irrevelant. No one is going to miss him if he is cut and it won't mean a blow to their running game. Mendenhall is fresh on the rise, brand new wheels and a fired up engine... whereas maybe when they picked Benson he already had alot of mileage and might have reached his potential. besides Benson will look more like a rusty Ron Dayne when he comes off his knee fracture. Peterson shows the hustle and mustle to charge between tackles and is a good screen pass threat. his total yard production with rushes and passes almost reached 1000 yards last season, as a backup. Wolfe is still a situational game breaker waiting to happen. A tailback like Mendenhall combines size, speed, and the elusive talent that the Bears so desperately need in their running game. They have enough picks in the draft to get talent for the offensive line, quarterback depth, and wideouts. besides they have been following him since high school and Turner's instincts about him were right when he recruited him for the Illini. thanks to that decision they landed in the Rose Bowl. This is a sign of good chemistry and one that just really makes sense and couldn't come at a more perfect time. I hope they don't f- it up. They had the right insight on Lance Briggs, lets hope they keep that rhythm up.
Keith H

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2008

No matter what happens we will all praise or complain about the picks the Bears make depending on how they do this season. We all know we have issues across the offensive board so any attempt to fix them is a good attempt. I just hope for a good season and look forward to watching Hester develop into a WR and an even better KR.
Steve

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2008

I would love to get Mendenhall with the bears...but, we need a tackle REALLY badly. Heres what would be awesome....Bears trade 2009's 1st round draft pick and the bear's extra 3rd round pick in the 08 draft to Detroit...or Arizona for their 1st round 08 pick....
13. Carolina
14. Jeff Otah-Bears
15. Mendenhall-Bears
16.Arizona

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jonathan Stewart Discussions

Search the Jonathan Stewart Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Newton focused on results, not speed (May '13) Sep '13 Jim1 2
2013 Carolina Panthers: Ted Ginn and the tale o... (Jun '13) Jul '13 Brewer 2
Carolina Panthers: Ted Ginn Jr. Signing Overloo... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Ted Ginn Family 2
Former Carolina Panthers safety Chris Harris no... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Laughing Bear Fan 2
Checking injuries that matter most (Dec '12) Dec '12 Buster 2
Panthers In Danger Of Losing Fans (Nov '12) Nov '12 Harry Horton 2
NFL Rumors: Jonathan Stewart Would Be Great Add... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Rob43 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••