Ravens face intriguing choices in draft

Ravens face intriguing choices in draft

There are 57 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Mar 21, 2008, titled Ravens face intriguing choices in draft. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

There is a lot of suspense surrounding the Ravens' first round pick in the 2008 draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#43 Mar 21, 2008
old19fan wrote:
BTW to those who want Flacco he is a horrible waste of a pick. He won't even make an NFL roster he's that bad. After Ryan Brohm is the only QB worth wasting a pick on and he's a huge gamble.
Did you see him play on your magic, 52" T.V.?

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#44 Mar 21, 2008
Rayvenous wrote:
Clady with the first pick, Flacco with the second, and Vince Lombardi Trophy within 3 years!
Add Tracy Porter -- if he makes it to the 3rd, and assuming we get a third for AD -- and I say it'd be one of the best drafts ever.
Grant dover DE

AOL

#45 Mar 21, 2008
Flacco or Brohm would be solid in the 2nd round but what about Johnson, he was the fastest QB tested plus his 113 TD and 15 INT are inspiring figures since they will obviously give the next one a year or two before throwing them into yhe fire..
Harry

Rochester, NY

#46 Mar 21, 2008
The Ravens short list for the first rd pick should be Cromartie bigger and faster than McKelvin, Gholston, or Ellis. CB and DE are major areas of need and the above 4 mentioned players are all worthy of the 8th pick. If they are gone then maybe Harvey, De should be a consideration.
Offensive line, even if Ogden retires the Ravens can still field Gaithers or Terry at OLT / ORT with Grubbs Yanda at OG and Brown at center. Young but plenty of potential.
The other major area of need is WR, and a healthy TE one more missed season from Heap and its time to move on with him too.
Qb the only problem is if the GM and new coaching staff think McNair should be the starter and he should be cut now.
Boller had the lead in several games last yr playing behind a terrible OL, with no wrs or a te and the defense couldn't hold the lead against teams like NE and Clev for example.
I would love to see Boller get a chance to play QB in a new system with some Blocking and wrs other than Mason. Chosing the starter now in print, is not the way to go, let Boller and Smith all play in pre and then start the better player.
Kinda of a novel idea Huh, a true Qb competion.
CB or DE are probably their biggest needs and should be their first rd pick. However,if McFadden falls and Dallas wants to trade then the Ravens should do it because they already traded their 3rd rd pick for McGahee, and used their 5th rder on Gaithers in the supp draft.
lll

Pasadena, MD

#47 Mar 21, 2008
We are fine at OL. Those guys matured and Terry can stay on the right and Gaither on the left. He is no Ogden but will be better than 90% of LT in the league. I like trading back and picking up a WR in 1st, QB in higher second and CB with lower second. Remember everyone, we finished number 5 on defense without our 2 starting CB's and the other ones have matured and now have a better secondary coach.
PConway

Elkton, MD

#48 Mar 21, 2008
If Clady is available they need to take him in the first, if not then it needs to be McKelvin, these are the positions they need to address. In the second round if Flacco is available he should be the pick. Even though people say he is from Delaware, I seem to remember a string of quarterbacks that have come from there and the most recent was a guy by the nam of Rich Gannon.
Dave

Chesterfield, MO

#49 Mar 21, 2008
Hey hey, ho ho, it's time for Mike Preston to go.
www.firemikepreston.com
Brian

Severna Park, MD

#50 Mar 21, 2008
My firefox blocks them just fine. Check your settings.
Be glad you can read it online for free. This paper (and many others) is going under because of the internet. They have to sell advertising pop-ups to help try and keep them selves afloat.
Good riddens! This paper along with all of the other, biased main stream media sources can go under for all I care. There are plenty of other sites where you can discuss Ravens issues.

Since: Feb 08

Saint Peters, PA

#51 Mar 21, 2008
This defense has never been able to play downhill and pin its ears back for an entire season. Draft? Offense, Offense, offense, and maybe a little more offense just for good measure. Defensive needs, yea. But the defense is still light years ahead of the offense. It's time to balance the books- OT, QB, WR, OL, WR, QB
itssteeven

Goleta, CA

#52 Mar 21, 2008
Seriously.........we got no cap room....no cash to work with or sign anyone to ANY big money contract......i say we trade down for FUTURE #1 picks, when we actually have the money to spend...... make Ozzie actually work this year, on picking up decent 2nd 3rd and 4th rd picks......go to work OZ.......
Tom

Rehoboth Beach, DE

#53 Mar 21, 2008
Steel City Joe wrote:
Paul from Cincy you better worry about CJohnson and not the Ravens 5th round 5-8" tall qb. Does it really matter at all, draft a qb watch him die on the vine like the rest in Baltimore. 3 year plan for a qb to adapt, hmmm by that time the ravens defense will average 37 years old. Enjoy the season Rat Birds!!
This coming from a boy that has seen his team win one Superbowl in the last 29 years. Big Ben 10 years 100MILL conract. HA HA HA HA HA HA dumb asses.
Ed B

Ellicott City, MD

#54 Mar 21, 2008
Jake wrote:
Hey Mike,
Maybe you could tell you the idiots who run this online paper to stop spamming us with pop up ads that Firefox don't see for some reason. What amateurish crap.
Jake----Get a MAC!
lll

Pasadena, MD

#55 Mar 21, 2008
everyone that is worried about salary cap, read the rules, your draft people do not effect this years cap.
Bob

Glen Burnie, MD

#56 Mar 21, 2008
Its about time we start talk'en Ravens !! I think the Ravens should waite until next season [2009] draft to get a Quarterback....lets see what a new system can do for the guy's we have on the team now...I would also would take a cornerback in the 2nd round...this is a very good cornerback class this year....with there 8th pick..i would drop down maybe to around 15-18 spot...pick up a extra round in the 2nd this year and maybe a extra 3rd in the 2009 draft..always plan ahead with a extra pick for the following year....like money in the bank..
Doug

Chestertown, MD

#57 Mar 21, 2008
slim wrote:
btw steve young, most rushing yards for a qb for almost a decade. he might have won a superbowl .... maybe... hmmmm
sarcasm.
Steve Young I get, but I did say past ten years. As for Smith, yes I have seen him play. He was fortunate during his rookie year that alot of DBs had butter fingers and to me, he went into scramble mode much too quickly. Once more, he rarely had touch on his passes. Granted it was only his rookie season, from what I saw this past season Smith is thinking too much about making it happen with his feet. I would like to keep him on the team to give him a chance to progress, but I just don't have a good feeling about him.
kevin

Redford, MI

#58 Mar 21, 2008
we need to cut mcnair,make smith the water boy, and let boller teach our 2nd round qb pick. 1st round we must take either long,dorsey,ellis, or golsten if any of those guys happen to fall to us. if not trade down and get an extra pick. dallas' two first round picks for our 1st round pick works out almost to the number as far the point system goes. if that happens, id pick the best available corner with the first pick, flacco with our 2nd pick in round one and another corner in round 2.
ohionightmare

Columbus, OH

#59 Mar 25, 2008
Tony wrote:
1st round we will get one of the following...QB Ryan, DE Long, LT Long, DT Ellis, DT Dorsey, DE Ghoulston, LT Clady, CB McKelvin. I'll take any of them. 2nd round gimme Flacco or Brohm. 8 Ravens reps watched Flacco work out and we are holding a private workout for Brohm.
Take Jake Long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonathan Ogden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
News Parcells, Sapp, Carter among 7 Hall inductees (Feb '13) Feb '13 Childress 2
News Report: Agent admits paying college players (9:... (Oct '10) Oct '10 OMG 2
News Hey, Jamison (Feb '09) Feb '09 hehehehehe 1
News Ravens release Mulitalo (Mar '07) Jan '09 Pits 26
News Something to talk about: 105.7 FM switches to s... (Nov '08) Jan '09 Bob 85
News Anderson's bounce proves fortuitous (Nov '08) Nov '08 itssteeven 3
More from around the web