Ravens face intriguing choices in draft

Ravens face intriguing choices in draft

There are 57 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Mar 21, 2008, titled Ravens face intriguing choices in draft. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

There is a lot of suspense surrounding the Ravens' first round pick in the 2008 draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Brett

Annapolis, MD

#1 Mar 21, 2008
Bring on Flacco
Tony

Dundalk, MD

#2 Mar 21, 2008
1st round we will get one of the following...QB Ryan, DE Long, LT Long, DT Ellis, DT Dorsey, DE Ghoulston, LT Clady, CB McKelvin. I'll take any of them. 2nd round gimme Flacco or Brohm. 8 Ravens reps watched Flacco work out and we are holding a private workout for Brohm.
Paul

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Mar 21, 2008
So Smith can't be Baltimore's own because he was drafted in the fifth round? Interesting, what round did NE draft Brady at?
Bud

Dover, DE

#4 Mar 21, 2008
It won't matter who they pick if he ain't blackyou'll think he will stink. But it's you who stinks.

Since: Mar 08

Baltimore, MD

#5 Mar 21, 2008
I hope one of those blue chip left tackles fall to the Ravens if not maybe they should trade down select one of those corners and get another second round pick. Great article Mike as usual. I can't wait!!!
JoeK

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2008
Flacco is a BEAST!!!!
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Mar 21, 2008
I like Flacco and Henne..... 6 months after the season begins all of the experts and sports publications will be silent about Matt Ryan Being another Alex Smith/ Tim Couch Etc....Just like you all picked the Ravens to win the AFC north last year simply because they had done it the previous year.Will Flacco Or Henne Be a game changing Franchise Quarterbacks? I dont know.... thats asking alot....what I do know is the Ravens have only 2 cornerbacks that are even remotely competitive.... in the NFL thats a recipe for disaster....[see last year] I also know that even those 2 cornerbacks are 30 years of age 1 of them had a season ending knee injury the otherhas a chronic illness with unpredictable consequences........I also know that the this year the Ravens will face Braylon [the prototype] Edwards, Santonio [the rabbit catcher] Holmes and Chad [ocho cinco]Johnson all twice.... Terrel Owens, Plaxico Burress, Andre Johnson,Jerry Porter, Antwan Randle EL and Santana Moss, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, Javon Walker and Johnny Lee Higgins.....all of which are very fast...... all faster than Mcalister and Rolle....that being said I would think really hard about using both of those first 2 picks on top notch cover corners with the sprinter spedd to match any of these receivers so I could keep Mcalister and Rolle off the sportscenter Highlight Reels as they trail these guys into various endzones around the Leauge...the quarterback stuff is ify.... its a mystery a crapshoot .....so many good quarterbacks have come closer to the end of the draft as opposed to the top........speed is speed and must be replaced and kept at a competitve level if you want to compete....... it is a necessary component of a competitve NFL team ........without it you cannot compete....... thats pretty obvious.David Pittman, Derrick Martin ,Jumaine Winbourne, Willie Gaston and Corey Ivey are not competitive at corner and some how I doubt if Frank Walker will save the team either......base the draft decisions on reality.......not speculation or mystery.
John from BelAir

Fairfield, CT

#8 Mar 21, 2008
I have the solution.
Select a quarterback in the first round.
Select a quarterback in the second round.
I don't think we have a third round pick.
Select a quarterback in the fourth round.
It's call hedging you bets.
Jeff

Baltimore, MD

#9 Mar 21, 2008
For the first time Preston, I have agreed with everything you have said.
Pat

Englewood, CO

#10 Mar 21, 2008
If you can't get Long, Clady, or Gholston -- I say trade down & pick up best corner left (Talib, McKelvin, or Cromartie). Then go strong (trade up if necessary) after Flacco in the 2nd. I watched him play in 4-5 games last year - he is a stud!
Jake

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#11 Mar 21, 2008
Hey Mike,
Maybe you could tell you the idiots who run this online paper to stop spamming us with pop up ads that Firefox don't see for some reason. What amateurish crap.
From the cheap seats

Halethorpe, MD

#12 Mar 21, 2008
If there, I take the tackle, if not I look at cb. Second round I go qb but only if one of the three qbs currently on the roster is released. I think odd man out is McNair, but you never know. Boller is a decent back-up at best, Smith may not have what it takes to be successful over the long haul. It is tough but if you are going to draft qb in second round somebody has got to go.
Jim Berger

Glen Burnie, MD

#13 Mar 21, 2008
What a shock....Preston didn't call for Billick's firing. Funny how Preston is mentioning all the Raven shortcomings and "holes" ....none of which were of Billick's makings. Don't forget Ozzie should have gotten Byron Leftwich instead of Boller....and Leftwich would have been blamed on Billick by Preston...as usual. It seems like Ozzie needs to get his a$$ in gear and draft some corners to back up McAkister and Rolle...somebody to rush the passer when Trevor Pryce gets hurt, and a "inshape" quarterback to start the year instead a fat drunk like we got in McNair to start last season....all of which Preston blamed on Billick...what a crock.
Doug M

Naples, FL

#15 Mar 21, 2008
Jake wrote:
Hey Mike,
Maybe you could tell you the idiots who run this online paper to stop spamming us with pop up ads that Firefox don't see for some reason. What amateurish crap.
My firefox blocks them just fine. Check your settings.

Be glad you can read it online for free. This paper (and many others) is going under because of the internet. They have to sell advertising pop-ups to help try and keep them selves afloat.

Back to topic: Draft will will very cool to see happen. Ravens need Help that must be filled through the draft. What do they do? I think I like trading Back and taking a CB. But pending who is left, you might have to go with the best player if someone slips to #8.
Revmagus

Baltimore, MD

#16 Mar 21, 2008
If Ryan falls to the 8th grab him, if not, take Mckelvin or Jenkins. A linesman will take at least a season to mature, not everybody is Ogden, who got by on size and strengh alone his first season. With the second take the QB/CB you didn't take in the 1st. Trading down for another 2nd round pick would work well. We need the franchise QB to survive in the North and the League.
eric

La Plata, MD

#17 Mar 21, 2008
The ideal scenario is McFadden falls to the Ravens and they trade the pick for Dallas' 2 #1's. But that's not very likely. Same problem with Ryan. If he falls to 5 or 6,teams are going to fall all over themselves to trade up knowing the Ravens will take him. Everything I'm hearing says McKelvin in rd 1 and a QB in rd 2.
Steel City Joe

Alexandria, VA

#18 Mar 21, 2008
Paul from Cincy you better worry about CJohnson and not the Ravens 5th round 5-8" tall qb. Does it really matter at all, draft a qb watch him die on the vine like the rest in Baltimore. 3 year plan for a qb to adapt, hmmm by that time the ravens defense will average 37 years old. Enjoy the season Rat Birds!!
Chi Chi

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#19 Mar 21, 2008
Preston says Flacco doesn't have any mobility, but in fact he won the Taco Bell QB Scramble with a time of 15.74 seconds during ESPN's College Football All-Star Challenge, which also included Matt Ryan, Colt Brennan, Chad Henne, and John David Booty.
Building blocks

United States

#20 Mar 21, 2008
You build a team first with the big bodies up front. With no offensive line it doesn't matter who the QB is. Put Unitas, Manning, Brady and Favre behind a seive of a line and you're not going to win.
steve

Plano, TX

#21 Mar 21, 2008
Mike, isn't it a hoot how the people who say they hate you or write like they do obviously read all of your columns. Also funny, the "steel (steal) city rubes who have no life except writing to another team's newspapers. HO HO HO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonathan Ogden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
News Parcells, Sapp, Carter among 7 Hall inductees (Feb '13) Feb '13 Childress 2
News Report: Agent admits paying college players (9:... (Oct '10) Oct '10 OMG 2
News Hey, Jamison (Feb '09) Feb '09 hehehehehe 1
News Ravens release Mulitalo (Mar '07) Jan '09 Pits 26
News Something to talk about: 105.7 FM switches to s... (Nov '08) Jan '09 Bob 85
News Anderson's bounce proves fortuitous (Nov '08) Nov '08 itssteeven 3
More from around the web