Ravens Fire Head Coach After 5-11 Season

Dec 31, 2007 Full story: The Associated Press 9

“I'm not saying I agree with it”

Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season. Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.

Billick won the 2001 Super Bowl in his second season with the Ravens, and led the team to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006. But Baltimore lost a team-record nine consecutive games this season before ending the skid Sunday with a 27-21 win over Pittsburgh. Read more

Full Story
Fred

United States

#1 Dec 31, 2007
Bad move for the Ravens!
Tanman

AOL

#2 Dec 31, 2007
Billick
Overanalyzed and underestimated.
21st century NFL = offense
Dilfer curse.
Elvis died.
"old defense"
Boller for no dollars
Deflated "Air"
In "Oz" we don't trust!
Time for Cower Power!!!
Rich

Tulare, CA

#3 Dec 31, 2007
He will likely rejoice with leaving Baltimore. I dont really care for him but the need for coaches is evident throughout the NFL and he will land somewere. Besides the defense is old and there is no offense. Why stay.

Good luck
raven mad

Aberdeen, MD

#4 Dec 31, 2007
i heard mark viviano rattle off some numbers mr billick compiled that compare very closely to those of the very elite of nfl coaches (for their first ten years in the league).
...no kidding it was change overdue, i wouldn't stop there we have plenty of old bags to jettison in that locker room (not JO or RL)....ps steelers,browns, and bengals, suck
JRS

United States

#5 Dec 31, 2007
It was time for him to go and he'll probably end somewhere else. You are only as good as your players. It would be fair if the players not performing could be as easily terminated.
Mark

United States

#6 Dec 31, 2007
Coaches receive too much credit when a team is playing well and too much criticism when the team is playing poorly. I will admit there has been some questionable play calling this season but overall, you can not put this seasons shortcomings on Billick. Too many injuries and poor execution by the players NOT the coach. One good thing that will come out of this is that the Ravens upper management and the community can not use Billick as a scapegoat any longer and will have to face the fact that until they get competent play out of their QB position (like the Mcnair of 06), then it does not matter who the coach is because ultimately the coach can only do so much. Thank you Brian Billick for a great ride. It wasn't always perfect but none are and I wish you continued success in your future endeavors.
ColtsFanMaxx

United States

#7 Jan 1, 2008
He was a good coach. But, losing to the Colts last season in the playoffs broke the Ravens spirit. And they never recovered.
Billick Fired

Farmville, VA

#9 Jan 1, 2008
Tom wrote:
It doesn't matter who their coach is, The Ravens suck. Ray Lewis is a criminal who shouldn't be playing in the NFL. The Ravens will always suck forever.
Get a life dumb***
Tom

Willowbrook, IL

#10 Jan 1, 2008
The Dolphins beat the Ravens - need I say more? Ravens suck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonathan Ogden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
Parcells, Sapp, Carter among 7 Hall inductees (Feb '13) Feb '13 Childress 2
Report: Agent admits paying college players (9:... (Oct '10) Oct '10 OMG 2
Hey, Jamison (Feb '09) Feb '09 hehehehehe 1
Ravens release Mulitalo (Mar '07) Jan '09 Pits 26
Something to talk about: 105.7 FM switches to s... (Nov '08) Jan '09 Bob 85
Anderson's bounce proves fortuitous (Nov '08) Nov '08 itssteeven 3

Jonathan Ogden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE