Ogden to announce retirement tomorrow

There are 28 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 11, 2008, titled Ogden to announce retirement tomorrow. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Ravens offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden will announce his retirement tomorrow, sources close to the 11-time Pro Bowl lineman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
john

Baltimore, MD

#1 Jun 11, 2008
Best Wishes JO....and thanks for the memories!!!
Dogpause

Ware Shoals, SC

#2 Jun 11, 2008
I thought he retired last year.

Since: Apr 07

Parkville

#3 Jun 11, 2008
It's about time. Now the Ravens will no longer be held hostage. Anyone know how much his contract will be toward the salary cap? He is so selfish to wait this long.

Since: Oct 07

Catonsville, MD

#4 Jun 11, 2008
Yup……..This is his official retirement. He did retire last year. We all knew it but I don’t know if he did. Overall outstanding job J.O. See you in the hall!
Rick

Baltimore, MD

#5 Jun 11, 2008
I dont think the ravens were Hostiage. From what I heard is that if they waited until after June 10 they get more cap money back then if it was announced before them. So in fact he was doing the Ravens a favor.
Bobby

United States

#6 Jun 11, 2008
Dave Johnson wrote:
It's about time. Now the Ravens will no longer be held hostage. Anyone know how much his contract will be toward the salary cap? He is so selfish to wait this long.
Outstanding offensive linemen all share a similar trait. Unselfishness is that trait.
BALTOJD

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Jun 11, 2008
J.O. has been a class act since day ONE. Imagine if we had taken Lawrence Phillips instead back in 1996???? J.O. may be one of the biggest yet most unsung reasons for our Super Bowl in 2000!
Ronnie

Curtis Bay, MD

#8 Jun 11, 2008
First of all it would have been a big help if he could have come back healthy this year but it appears that isn't going to happen. Secondly anyone that bashes him or says it's about time is an idiot. The guy is one of the greatest to ever play his position and we got to watch him play his whole career here. He wants to play but only if he is healthy and evidently he isn't healthy. The last thing is by waiting until after June 10 he costs us less against the cap. So next time anyone wants to bash a good man make sure you know the facts first.
Aaron

Joliet, IL

#9 Jun 11, 2008
To everyone who is bashing JO for taking this long can someone explain why. JO told the team to plan as if he was retiring. This left a win-win scenario for the team. If JO retired the team would be prepared, but if he returned the team would benefit from him being there. Also, I believe that the team can spread his cap hit over the next two seasons if he retires after a certain date in june, rather than if he did earlier. Thanks for everything JO.
Jacob

Holtsville, NY

#10 Jun 11, 2008
Have a good retirement, J.O. It was an absolute pleasure watching you absolutely dominate.

Without question, you'll be the first Raven in the Hall of Fame.
Jacob

Holtsville, NY

#11 Jun 11, 2008
Not to be Miss Manners or anything, but to those of you chiming in saying it's about time--you don't appreciate what Ogden has done for this team or just how great of a player he was. You can't appreciate it. Because if you did, your first post would be commenting on his great 11-year career, not the last few months when he wasn't quite sure he was ready to retire.

Congrats on a great career, JO!
Orlando Pace

New York, NY

#12 Jun 11, 2008
And thus we say goodbye to one of the top 50 Offensive Lineman of All Time. Good luck big guy!
HUH

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jun 11, 2008
I wouldn't exactly call Ogden's play against Dwight Freeney as a "classic." matchup. I remember Freeney wiped him all over the turf; constantly beating him on every play that day. More of a classic matchup for Freeney.
HUH

Baltimore, MD

#14 Jun 11, 2008
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Outstanding offensive linemen all share a similar trait. Unselfishness is that trait.
Ogden was very unselfish, especially to Dwight Freeney whom Ogden allowed to blast past him and beat him on every single play from scrimmage. That game was the door to Ogden's early retirement.
FACTS

Baltimore, MD

#15 Jun 11, 2008
In the whole scheme of things, Ogden takes a seat on the bench as a backup player when it comes to Jim Parker. Parker will always be the greatest tackle in Baltimore professional football history. Ogden doesn't come close.
The Truth

Baltimore, MD

#16 Jun 11, 2008
Did the writer miss that JO protected 13 quarterbacks missing Vinny Testiverte??
BMH

Albany, NY

#17 Jun 11, 2008
HUH wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call Ogden's play against Dwight Freeney as a "classic." matchup. I remember Freeney wiped him all over the turf; constantly beating him on every play that day. More of a classic matchup for Freeney.
HUH, you demonstrate the ultimate testament to JO's dominance. In a 12 year career people can only think of one match-up in which he faltered .. and it came against a player who himself may end up in the hall.

And, even though it's true that Freeney got the better of him in one game (and only a few plays really)Ogden bounced back and held his own when they faced eachother again.
Jim

Woodbridge, VA

#18 Jun 11, 2008
BMH wrote:
<quoted text>
HUH, you demonstrate the ultimate testament to JO's dominance. In a 12 year career people can only think of one match-up in which he faltered .. and it came against a player who himself may end up in the hall.
And, even though it's true that Freeney got the better of him in one game (and only a few plays really)Ogden bounced back and held his own when they faced eachother again.
Exactly. That Colts game (in 2005? I think) is the only game I ever saw JO look bad before the toe injury. Freeney ate him up, but not the next time they met. He was a great one.
Rafael Joseph McFadden

Hanover, MD

#19 Jun 11, 2008
J.O. my man, it was a pleasure having ya in Baltimore. Wish you could have gritted it out a couple of more years, but I understand that the body gets the best of even the greats. All the best!!
Carl in Kansas

Wichita, KS

#20 Jun 11, 2008
JO is not a freak of nature, he was a gift from the Foot Ball GODS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonathan Ogden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
News Parcells, Sapp, Carter among 7 Hall inductees (Feb '13) Feb '13 Childress 2
News Report: Agent admits paying college players (9:... (Oct '10) Oct '10 OMG 2
News Hey, Jamison (Feb '09) Feb '09 hehehehehe 1
News Ravens release Mulitalo (Mar '07) Jan '09 Pits 26
News Something to talk about: 105.7 FM switches to s... (Nov '08) Jan '09 Bob 85
News Anderson's bounce proves fortuitous (Nov '08) Nov '08 itssteeven 3
More from around the web