Pace, Lucas visit Halas Hall

Pace, Lucas visit Halas Hall

There are 19 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 30, 2009, titled Pace, Lucas visit Halas Hall. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Losing both starting offensive tackles from last season has the Bears considering all options, including a veteran named to seven Pro Bowls.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

ldc

Savoy, IL

#1 Mar 30, 2009
Signing Pace is a good idea.

First, he was not cut because he stinks. It's the economy, stupid. A rebuilding team has no reason to give six million to an aging player of any talent level.

That said, Pace, a HOFer, is only "bad" when compared to himself. He still is better than most LTs, and would offer a mentor to Williams?

What about Willliams and "Frank the Tank?"

Each could move inside to the guard positions.

Williams played on the inside early in his career, and would likely be an upgrade in size in strength over Beekman.

As a left guard, it would also give him a chance to watch one of the best in action.

Omiyale could play the other guard position.

I like the idea, and I hope they follow through, as it will strengthen the line and allow the team to use its higher picks on other pressing needs.
THE Unknown Poster

Orland Park, IL

#2 Mar 30, 2009
If healthy Pace is an upgrade to a decimated O line. He could be a short term insurance policy against Williams and his back problem.

Lucas' productivity seems to have fallen quite a bit the last couple of years. Not sure he could bring any value to the Bears.
Big Pete

Lehi, UT

#3 Mar 30, 2009
If Pace can remain healthy he will help the Bears for the upcoming season.
Mel

United States

#4 Mar 30, 2009
Let's create some competition with the offensive line. It's a buyer's market so the Bears should have plenty of willing signers at offensive tackle in this down economy. Pace, on the downside of his career, probably won't be too expensive to sign. If Pace works out fine. There's more depth. If he doesn't Pace could be let go easily without any stigma of a big fat upfront signing bonus.
Thomas

Aurora, IL

#5 Mar 30, 2009
Yes, yes, yes on Pace. The bears can then use their 1st two picks on wide receivers. the two 3rd round picks on a safety and defensive back. then add depth for the defensive and offensive lines. This would be good strategy! Oops we are talking about the bears' management. They will find a way to screw it up!
Griff

Rock Island, IL

#6 Mar 30, 2009
Wow, REAL linemen. YAAAAAAAYYYYYY! Oh wait, what am I thinking, Chicago won't pay the money. Oh well, at least I can dream...
Stephen

Houston, TX

#7 Mar 30, 2009
This is an offer they have to make. I wouldn't get into a bidding war, but they should make him a nice offer. This would provide them with alot more flexibility on the line next year and in the upcoming draft.
Mr Z

Aurora, IL

#8 Mar 30, 2009
The Bears need to sign him. He is a future hall of famer, and will immediately improve our o line, which is in shambles. Seven consecutive pro bowls, before he got injured in 2006. Not making every effort to sign him would be ridiculous. However, with or without Pace, the Bears need to address the offensive line in the first round of the draft.

Since: Oct 08

Dane, WI

#9 Mar 31, 2009
now thats the ticket, add some old guys to train the young! or aleast give them time to learn the system, and use or picks for lets say a WR or 2, Maybe a couple of corners because ours really stink period. And lets see maybe mix in a safety or 2! Its nice to Dream !!! GO BEARS spend some real money on old talent?
Art

Long Island City, NY

#10 Mar 31, 2009
Pace may be on the downside of his career but he would still be the best tackle on this team. He'd only make Chris Williams better. Unfortunately I don't see the Bears signing him, Baltimore is more likely, but the Bears would be foolish to not at least try to bring Pace in. Same for Lucas too. Nice to see some good news coming out of Halas Hall for once. But it'll probably turn out to be just rumors and nothing more.
Castle

Naperville, IL

#11 Mar 31, 2009
The Bears won't sign Pace, they are too arrogant.
Livingindenial

United States

#12 Mar 31, 2009
He will sign with Baltimore
TheOptimist

Carol Stream, IL

#13 Mar 31, 2009
I love it, I love it. Sign him. They're always talking about creating competition at every position. This would do more than you think. Give them more flexibility in the draft. Sure up a poor o-line. And make players fight for time. I love it. It would be wise to sign him. Pick up Ken Lucas for the hell of it too. His experience could do us some good. Make Vasher have to compete or trade him.

GO BEARS!!! NOW WE'RE ROLLING!!!
Daaaaa Shane

Merritt Island, FL

#14 Mar 31, 2009
Sign Pace & sign Lucas, then bring back Mike Brown at the veteran minimum with incentives. Get Orton a #1 and maybe # 2 receiver and consider da Bears a contender once more.

Since: Nov 07

Glenmont, NY

#15 Mar 31, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing Pace get signed. I agree that would be a huge boost for the o-line. Let Williams learn from one of the best.

Signing Lucas just makes no sense at all unless they are planning to trade Vasher. Vasher is already getting good competition from Graham.

Bringing back Mike Brown with an incentive laden contract would be a big help too..Great leadership and still a good player. The guys is a class act! What are they waiting for.

Glenmont, NY

#16 Mar 31, 2009
I think just the fact that the Bears are bringing in Pace and Lucas may be an indication that they are serious about getting Cutler. If they sign Pace then I can see us trading our first round draft pick and possibly Vasher , Orton and other picks for Cutler.

Sound a bit unrealistic?

Even if a trade were to fall through we would still be in very good shape for the draft. Signing Pace makes a lot of sense.
Art

Long Island City, NY

#17 Mar 31, 2009
No_More_Rexcuses wrote:
I think just the fact that the Bears are bringing in Pace and Lucas may be an indication that they are serious about getting Cutler. If they sign Pace then I can see us trading our first round draft pick and possibly Vasher , Orton and other picks for Cutler.
Sound a bit unrealistic?
Even if a trade were to fall through we would still be in very good shape for the draft. Signing Pace makes a lot of sense.
I was thinking Vasher could be trade bait too but in an Anquan Boldin trade...then I remembered that Arizona signed Bryant McFadden from Pittsburgh and they have Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie so Arizona doesn't need a high paid CB. Bringing Lucas to Chicago could be just to shore up the CB spot, considering we don't really know what Nate Vasher we'll get - the pre-2007 Vasher who was a stud against the run and a ball hawk against the pass or the 2007 & 2008 Vasher who is constantly hurt.
TheOptimist

Carol Stream, IL

#18 Mar 31, 2009
No_More_Rexcuses wrote:
Sound a bit unrealistic?
Interesting... but I think the Bears are as interested as the media is making it out to be. I think signing signing Pace makes a lot of sense from an experience standpoint. Williams will have the opportunity to learn from one of the best. Lucas was probably brought in just for depth. He's still good and could help out in late game situations when we need a more experienced player to close out the game. And remember the injuries we had last season? Have just one more corner with some knowledge of the game might have helped us win one or two of those close games.

This signing would also make it obvious what we are planning to do in the draft. WR in the 1st, DE or LB in the 2nd, probably either an o-lineman or CB in the 3rd, and just depth with the rest of the picks. I'm actually about the draft. If we can get Heyward-Bey, that would be great. Heyward-Bey, Hester, and Bennet should be the starting 3 receivers (unless we get a veteran like Holt in FA then Bennet is headed back to the bench).

When is Holt paying us a visit anyway?

GO BEARS!!!! GET THE BALL ROLLING!!!!

Glenmont, NY

#19 Mar 31, 2009
Art wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking Vasher could be trade bait too but in an Anquan Boldin trade...then I remembered that Arizona signed Bryant McFadden from Pittsburgh and they have Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie so Arizona doesn't need a high paid CB. Bringing Lucas to Chicago could be just to shore up the CB spot, considering we don't really know what Nate Vasher we'll get - the pre-2007 Vasher who was a stud against the run and a ball hawk against the pass or the 2007 & 2008 Vasher who is constantly hurt.
True but remember we still have Corey Graham providing some legit competition and Manning is under Lovies wing as nickleback. I really dont understand why they would even bring Lucas in unless they are planning on trading someone. Could even be Tillman or Graham..who knows..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Tait Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL first-round draft picks overpriced (Apr '09) Apr '09 Jeebs 36
News Tackle Kevin Shaffer to sign with Chicago Bears (Mar '09) Apr '09 Mr Breeze 54
News Tackle Orlando Pace visits Chicago Bears (Mar '09) Apr '09 pete 54
News Bears, Shaffer agree to terms (Mar '09) Mar '09 Sage Rosenfolds 6
News Chris Williams more critical than ever for Chic... (Mar '09) Mar '09 USMC Bears Fan 68
News Bears explore options after John St. Clair bolts (Mar '09) Mar '09 Bill 28
News Chicago Bears await John St. Clair's decision o... (Mar '09) Mar '09 J W Wheaton 17
More from around the web