Green Bay Packers: Rodgers' passing stays sharp for Packers, Hassel...

Full story: Fox6 14
Aaron Rodgers continues to enjoy a summer carryover from his first Pro Bowl season for Green Bay. Full Story
Jeff Herringa

Mayville, WI

#1 Aug 22, 2010
I like the Packers' Offense and thought the 2nd Team Offense did much better this week against the Seahawks. My biggest concern is the Defense and Special Teams. The have a lot of new faces and the substitutions and coverage aren't good.

With a tough regular season schedule against the AFC East & NFC East, I don't see the Packers winning many games without a vastly improved Defense and Special Teams.

I want the Packers to do well. But, I think they are over-rated, like the Vikings at times.

Even teams like the San Francisco 49er's and Atlanta Falcons will be hard, in addition to their own division.

If they win enough games to get to the playoffs, this is all I can wish for. I don't see any NFC Championship or Super Bowl appearances without a vastly improved Defense or Special Teams.

As much as I wish for another year like 1996, I don't think this is it. But, maybe they will prove me wrong...
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#2 Aug 22, 2010
Jeff Herringa wrote:
I like the Packers' Offense and thought the 2nd Team Offense did much better this week against the Seahawks. My biggest concern is the Defense and Special Teams. The have a lot of new faces and the substitutions and coverage aren't good.
With a tough regular season schedule against the AFC East & NFC East, I don't see the Packers winning many games without a vastly improved Defense and Special Teams.
I want the Packers to do well. But, I think they are over-rated, like the Vikings at times.
Even teams like the San Francisco 49er's and Atlanta Falcons will be hard, in addition to their own division.
If they win enough games to get to the playoffs, this is all I can wish for. I don't see any NFC Championship or Super Bowl appearances without a vastly improved Defense or Special Teams.
As much as I wish for another year like 1996, I don't think this is it. But, maybe they will prove me wrong...
Fair assessment. I also think that the tougher schedule will make securing a playoff spot much more difficult. I really will be surprised if the NFC North has more than one team in the playoffs this season. That means the Packers will need to win the division I believe.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#3 Aug 24, 2010
Yes Matt Flynn looked much better (or "Mike Flynn" as Mack Strong kept calling him the other night). Our kick coverage is pathetic. We might as well kick squibs and limit the runbacks. Mason Crosby's gonna get hurt making all those tackles. Indy will show us where our pass defense is this Thursday. I think SF is a good team. They whipped the Vikings--not pretty but effective. Atlanta did not impress me against NE, but then maybe the Patriots are on a mission? In fact, I'm pretty sure they are on a mission. Oh yeah, we play them too. We had better buckle up, this is going to be a grind.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#4 Aug 24, 2010
I think preseason games against Indy are particularly difficult to assess. The Colts seem to approach preseason with little concern about winning. And even their game plan, substitutions, etc. seem more designed for player assessment than winning. I know that is true of all teams to some extent. The Colts just seem to be further to the extreme than most teams. It can make it difficult to assess your own team's performance. For one example, the Colts usually use their starters as sparingly as any team. I hope we see good things from the Packers, but unless it is against complate starting units it may be difficult to really gage much from a TEAM perspective, and perhaps even as to individual performances.
Steve Tellers

Lakewood, OH

#5 Aug 24, 2010
Jeff Herringa wrote:
I don't understand why Jolly got suspended, is codiene that big a deal, they use it in cough syrup.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#6 Aug 24, 2010
Steve Tellers wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand why Jolly got suspended, is codiene that big a deal, they use it in cough syrup.
Another player (a Titan I believe) was recently CONVICTED of DUI and doesn't have to miss a single game. Jolly's case will be DISMISSED upon completion of a diversion program and he's suspended for at least 1 year. It appears that Jolly may have also failed a UA, but that happens all the time without year long suspensions being imposed. The NFL's policies regarding punishment seem wildly inconsistent.
packerhacker

Lake In The Hills, IL

#7 Aug 24, 2010
Steve Tellers wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand why Jolly got suspended, is codiene that big a deal, they use it in cough syrup.
The guy was dealing cocaine and pot too....and you don't understand?????
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#8 Aug 24, 2010
packerhacker wrote:
<quoted text> The guy was dealing cocaine and pot too....and you don't understand?????
So are you! So what that I don't have enough evidence to prove it. Apparently, you don't believe that is important.
ProKenosha

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Aug 24, 2010
With our offense stacked as it is, I'm expecting to see a lot of "MVP" signs and chants this year at Lambeau Field!
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#10 Aug 24, 2010
normallylikeyellow wrote:
Yes Matt Flynn looked much better (or "Mike Flynn" as Mack Strong kept calling him the other night). Our kick coverage is pathetic. We might as well kick squibs and limit the runbacks. Mason Crosby's gonna get hurt making all those tackles. Indy will show us where our pass defense is this Thursday. I think SF is a good team. They whipped the Vikings--not pretty but effective. Atlanta did not impress me against NE, but then maybe the Patriots are on a mission? In fact, I'm pretty sure they are on a mission. Oh yeah, we play them too. We had better buckle up, this is going to be a grind.
Patiots D is not very good. I expect Atlanta to very much improved. Atlanta was decimated with injury's last year( Turner is one example.) I agree with you on San Fran, they are gonna be very good on D. Davis could be the best TE, Gore is a monster when healthy, and Crabtree will have a solid year.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#11 Aug 24, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
I think preseason games against Indy are particularly difficult to assess. The Colts seem to approach preseason with little concern about winning. And even their game plan, substitutions, etc. seem more designed for player assessment than winning. I know that is true of all teams to some extent. The Colts just seem to be further to the extreme than most teams. It can make it difficult to assess your own team's performance. For one example, the Colts usually use their starters as sparingly as any team. I hope we see good things from the Packers, but unless it is against complate starting units it may be difficult to really gage much from a TEAM perspective, and perhaps even as to individual performances.
The assessment of players is exactly what Capers is doing on D this year. Last year he was implementing his 3-4 scheme and blitz packages in preseason, now its assessment time. This year will tell us fans how good this D really is. The special teams on the other hand, well I think I know how most packer fans feel about that so far.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#12 Aug 24, 2010
I know how Packer fans and the media feel about the defense so far also.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#13 Aug 25, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
I know how Packer fans and the media feel about the defense so far also.
The special teams had its "A" team out against Seattle and they got torched. The D is assessment right now, who is making plays and standing out. Poppinga and Jones have shown some pass rushing ability so far behind Jenkins. Matthews on the other side behind Pickett will be solid. That could be the answer to the pass rushing need GB wants, to take some pressure off the young secondary, but I am speculating of course. The main problem is if an injury occurs on that D-line, that could make things very hard. But thank god the Offense will be able to handle some high scoring games potentially.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#14 Aug 26, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>Patiots D is not very good. I expect Atlanta to very much improved. Atlanta was decimated with injury's last year( Turner is one example.) I agree with you on San Fran, they are gonna be very good on D. Davis could be the best TE, Gore is a monster when healthy, and Crabtree will have a solid year.
If we're talking about last year, I can see your point, but I was just talking about the exhibition game I witnessed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Kuhn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shy of the Packers' Run Game, Team Limiting Gro... Dec 15 Pete SamprAssfarts 2
5 UDFAs Who Will Make the Green Bay Packers' 53... (May '14) May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Green Bay Packers tabbed as 'winners' in free a... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Spielman 2
Kuhn still might have something to prove (Apr '14) Apr '14 Yelling Slang 2
Updating Green Bay Packers' Salary-Cap Situatio... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Flynnished 2
Green Bay Packers Must Re-Sign John Kuhn (Mar '14) Mar '14 eric 8
Packers' special teams very special on Sunday (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing bear Fan 1
More from around the web