I've got to see it to believe it

I've got to see it to believe it

There are 98 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Sep 1, 2008, titled I've got to see it to believe it. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

There's a line Bill Parcells said once, a good line that applies to this Dolphins season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Pats suck

New York, NY

#1 Sep 1, 2008
Pats suck!

18-1

Since: Jun 07

Gainesville, GA

#2 Sep 1, 2008
Pretty good article if you ask me! I have been saying all along that BECK had as good a preseason and trainign camp last year as HENNE has had this year, and Hyde just comfirmed it! Bekcs was actually a amall amout BETTER last year, under WORSE coaching may I add, than Hennes this year.
That being said, lets not get all too exited over Henne yet. I do like what I saw out of him,. as I did Beck Last years preseason and Training camp, same as I do Hennes this year. SO lets not be so fast to give up on Chad Henne if he struggles liek John Beck did. Henne will likely make some bonehead mistakes along the eay, if he is thrust into the games , like Beck was.

Since: Dec 07

Solvang, CA

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Agreed Bravphin, I just wish Hyde would write something worth reading more than twice a year.

Henne and Beck...two possibly good developmental QBs nothing less or more. Lets hope one of 'em develops by the time we need 'em.
DannyBoy

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Sep 1, 2008
The difference between Beck and Henne is pocket presence. You call yourself a sports writer and that GLARING difference isn't clear?

Hmm..Bell never thought it was possible to win on Wanny's teams. Well Wanny's teams (excluding the retirement year) went 41-23. Made the playoffs twice, went 10-6 Bell's rookie year and only didn't make the playoffs because of the expanded 4 divisions lost them a tie, and the next year everything crumbled. The single biggest mistake Wanny made was not running Ricky in that 2002 finale against the Patsys. That would have been a third playoff birth 3 consecutive years! The Phins ALWAYS had a competetive teamn under Wanny.

Bell says he had no hope of winning under Wanny, even tho they went 10-6 his rookie year, AND the meltdown was craeted by more than just Wanny.

How soon people forget. They bash Wanny and Fiedler, but they had the winningest teams since Shula.
Ken in San Diego

United States

#5 Sep 1, 2008
While the Beck vs. Henne statistics are fascinating, the real story is the changed attitude in the locker room. The body language on the players so far has been with a swagger, something we haven't seen in many years. Now if only that will translate into confidence and wins. We are very thin in our reserves and we still need another great draft and free agency period to build this team into a contender. But I have absolute confidence the TunaFish are headed onward and upwards.

Since: Jan 07

Cocoa Fl

#6 Sep 2, 2008
Ken in San Diego wrote:
While the Beck vs. Henne statistics are fascinating, the real story is the changed attitude in the locker room. The body language on the players so far has been with a swagger, something we haven't seen in many years. Now if only that will translate into confidence and wins. We are very thin in our reserves and we still need another great draft and free agency period to build this team into a contender. But I have absolute confidence the TunaFish are headed onward and upwards.
Agree. Like anything in life, if the confidence is not there, you're beat already. Physical talents are worthless w/o the right attitude.
JAK

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Sep 2, 2008
I don't care what the passer ratings of Beck and Henne's pre-seasons were/are. The point is we went into this years draft still needing to draft a QB. Next year we don't need to draft a QB.

Anybody who watch Beck throw up punts last year that miraculously got through a sea of hands; and watched Henne play this year saw the difference.
LEGENDARYFINS

Miami, FL

#8 Sep 2, 2008
right on danny boy..its true. as much as everyone bashes wanny, he put a competitive tough defending team out there 4 years..we had great defenses and a pounding ground game..true..he got a little too conservative at the end, but he knew the strengths of our team and had us in every game we played.
LEGENDARYFINS

Miami, FL

#9 Sep 2, 2008
it looks like our new coaching staff knows what they're doing..play physical and maximize the talent u have..i can't wait until sunday vs. the jets
Joe comment

United States

#10 Sep 2, 2008
DannyBoy wrote:
The difference between Beck and Henne is pocket presence. You call yourself a sports writer and that GLARING difference isn't clear?
Hmm..Bell never thought it was possible to win on Wanny's teams. Well Wanny's teams (excluding the retirement year) went 41-23. Made the playoffs twice, went 10-6 Bell's rookie year and only didn't make the playoffs because of the expanded 4 divisions lost them a tie, and the next year everything crumbled. The single biggest mistake Wanny made was not running Ricky in that 2002 finale against the Patsys. That would have been a third playoff birth 3 consecutive years! The Phins ALWAYS had a competetive teamn under Wanny.
Bell says he had no hope of winning under Wanny, even tho they went 10-6 his rookie year, AND the meltdown was craeted by more than just Wanny.
How soon people forget. They bash Wanny and Fiedler, but they had the winningest teams since Shula.
Wanny was the worst thing that ever happened to the Dolphins. When Wanny arrived, we had the most talent in the division. In fact, the Patriots opened the season 1 - 3 that year including being blown out by the Dolphins. Same season the Patriots won the Superbowl as a wildcard. Besides the fact that the only play call Wanny knew was to run Ricky 75 times a game (enough to make anyone want to go to India and get smoked up). Wanny ran the team into the ground. The next year the writing was on the wall. The Patriots were way to good for us to catch. Therefore it was time to trade players while they had value and get younger. It really is amazing how much talent that has gotten away from us without getting anything in return. Wanny got some wins from an outstanding defense (he belongs as a defensive coordinator but thats it).
Cameron and Saban got here and everything was already messed up, although they proved that they did not know how to fix it. Thankfully Parcells is in town and it won't be long till we are a power in the NFL again. Ricky Williams is a monster - he very well could win running back of the year. Oh and before I go.. Dolphins beat the Jets this week. I predict a defensive battle and Phins by a field goal.
Sportsfan Al

United States

#11 Sep 2, 2008
Don't give up on Beck, remember how we went through QBS last year, and after evry worn out retread was knocked unconscious or concussed we threw Beck into the fray and said Hey Rookie Fix it I don't think this kid has been given a fair opportunity,and we will probably get a chance to see as the season wears on and people get nicked or dinged I think the Brain Trust sees some potential too or this kid would be waived to make roster room
Perception

Hialeah, FL

#12 Sep 2, 2008
Very interesting that Beck had a better preseason last year then Henne. Maybe they did'nt give Beck enough of a chance this preseason because they were afraid he would improve and change the perception that Henne is the clear-cut better QB. I honestly believed that Henne's stast would easily surpass Beck's from last year....but perception sometimes is colored by the hype I guess.
RACE

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Sep 2, 2008
Just like raising children.

The players need coaches, not pals. Parcells tell them "'Cause I'm the parent! Thats why. Now shaddup and get out there!" Works too!
MJZ

Yonkers, NY

#14 Sep 2, 2008
Don't worry Dave, no one is annointing them yet. On the other hand it is equally foolish not to think they can win any game on their schedule (remember - "any given Sunday) even though we know they won't win every game. I am taling about the current roster, as it is. Some key injuries changes everything for this season. But as it stands, yes, the Fins should be confident that they can go into any game thinking they can win.

In case you have not noticed, the Fins do indeed have a lot of talent all around on the first team. Sure the O Line needs to gell and the WR's have much to prove. But the LB position is solid, contrary to your belief, even without Porter.
Jon

Bristol, VA

#15 Sep 2, 2008
Don't forget that Beck came in as 3rd GB last preaseason. So he mostly paying against guys that didn't even make their teams. Henne played against mostly 2nd units and even had some time starters.

“Everything changes.”

Since: Nov 07

Hollywood, FL

#16 Sep 2, 2008
DannyBoy wrote:
I"m sorry, but the team won in spite of Wannstedt! He inherited the team from Shula and JJ. and once he got his hands on the team they got progressively worse, just like they did in Chicago!

He was the beginning of the decline!
Bullshark

Hialeah, FL

#17 Sep 2, 2008
Beck's style fits a finesse type of team..the former Dolphins ala Cam Cameron. Henne fits a power offense, which the present regime is in the process of installing. Beck will need to change his game and butch up to fit in here.
cullen

Virginia Beach, VA

#18 Sep 2, 2008
Beck had better QB rating but Henne has what John doesn't and thats courage and poise while under fire!

Also, last year when John was throwing for that better rating he was out there with a team that was not 1-15 the year before. Many believed the dolphins to be an up and comer at this point last year. A possible playoff contender. Henne was playing with a team trying to recover from last year. Also, IMHO, the depth and talent at receiver was alot better last year than it is this year, so John had better talent playing with him than Henne did this year and the QB rating numbers are very similiar. So, it is what it is...numbers lie and talent does not! Henne is better
Steve

Dayton, NV

#19 Sep 2, 2008
BravPhin wrote:
Pretty good article if you ask me! I have been saying all along that BECK had as good a preseason and trainign camp last year as HENNE has had this year, and Hyde just comfirmed it! Bekcs was actually a amall amout BETTER last year, under WORSE coaching may I add, than Hennes this year.
That being said, lets not get all too exited over Henne yet. I do like what I saw out of him,. as I did Beck Last years preseason and Training camp, same as I do Hennes this year. SO lets not be so fast to give up on Chad Henne if he struggles liek John Beck did. Henne will likely make some bonehead mistakes along the eay, if he is thrust into the games , like Beck was.
Hyde is a putz, he couldn't compare apples to apples. F the stats, it isn't about the stats. Beck last year was a third string qb and played mostly late in preseason games against scrubs. Last year against N.O. in the last preseason game he started/played in the first half and flopped big time.

At no time last year did Beck ever posses any pocket pressence or arm strength, so to compare Beck's preseason last year to Henne's this year is rediculous!
Steve

Dayton, NV

#20 Sep 2, 2008
Ken in San Diego wrote:
I disagree with the line about being thin at reserves. I think we were thin on the oline, but not so thin anymore. I don't even think the wr position is as thin as they say, I like what we have at wr now, and I think the real Wilford will show up once the season does. I don't see a lack of depth anywhere else on O, QB, RB, TE I like the depth. On D, the front 7 has more depth than I've ever seen before on a Fins team, and the secondary has no stars, but 9 guys that can play well.

When was the last time we could have an injury to someone like JT or Zach not affect the outcome of a game. I don't think there was a time. We seem to have more of a no-name defense now, with the parts almost interchangeable.

Devone Bess is going to be the second coming of Welker. He has the speed, return man type moves, and it. I don't think he's quite the blocker, but he's just a rookie give him time.

The pressure that's been put on the D in the last 3 games has been very encouraging, and will be the key to how far this team goes. The key has been the size and speed of the new guys, and even Roth's size and speed for an OLB. Roth will be our next AJ Duhe, pro bowl next year (he'd make it this year, but he won't get the respect). Crowder looks like an animal as well, release the hounds!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Beck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Beck nude (Mar '13) Mar '13 Natasha 1
News The Insider: Rebuilding begins with some growin... (Nov '07) Aug '12 Management 5
News 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Washington Redskins and Cl... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Skins report 2
News Mike Shanahan Doesn't Doubt Return to the Washi... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Snyderfarts 2
News Redskins-Dolphins best and worst (Nov '11) Nov '11 Hyman Seltzer 2
News Colts Daily Links: Polian and 'rats,' Manning a... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Indy Starfarts 2
News Promotion of Redskins' Beck means six new QBs c... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Sappfarts 7
More from around the web