Jets could be 5-3 with Pennington, too

Jets could be 5-3 with Pennington, too

There are 72 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 4, 2008, titled Jets could be 5-3 with Pennington, too. In it, Newsday reports that:

Doug the Jets Fan was incensed that I had chosen this topic for my column in today's newspaper: Did the Jets get the worst of the deal when they traded for Brett Favre , cut Chad Pennington and then saw him go ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Doug

New York, NY

#1 Nov 4, 2008
I would still take Favre in a hearbeat. How many years did we have with pennington where he proved to just be an above average QB? I love the guy, but we were never winning with him - why keep it going? Favre is a proven winner, albeit at the end of his career. We can't do worse with Brett than with Chad, which has been proven in 8 games, and there is a good chance we'll do better in the end.
Rick

Washington, DC

#2 Nov 4, 2008
Looking at the trade by the numbers Mr Glauber is doing exactly what he asks everyone else not to do. He is looking at the trade in a vacuum. Never does he mention that Pennington had Zero ability to stretch a defense and open running lanes (Miami is winning by taking the ball out of Pennington hands with their Single Wing College Offense). Nor does he ever mention that Favre has the ability to put a team on his back and win games for you where Pennington is a game manager and has ZERO ability to ever shoulder a team. We were unable to run the ball last year because teams stacked the box and dared us to throw (which we couldn't). Just ask Thomas Jones how he feels with the QB switch.......
charleyjet

United States

#3 Nov 4, 2008
Thomas Jones' increased productivity, for example, is related to the defense's concern with Favre's passing ability. It is you who are looking at things in a vacuum.
Willie Pfisterbottom

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Nov 4, 2008
If the NFL has a "Rock Star" the Jets have him right now. Favre gives the Jets some buzz and attention. Even what is apparentaly a bum wing, he can still make throws that Pennington can only dream about.

That said, right now the most important player on the Jets is Kris Jenkins.
IRA

United States

#5 Nov 4, 2008
Bob, I agree with you about this 100%. And i already said that the Jets vs Dolphin game there will be something on the line. Like you said it could be the AFCEast Title.
IRA

United States

#6 Nov 4, 2008
But on the other hand Chad needed a change of scenery. Lets face it he didn't want to be a Jet and the Jets really wanted Clemens to win the job which wasn't going to happen in camp. So i am happy for Chad and just hope Favre stays for 2 years or wins the Super Bowl this year.
Jack The Cabbie

New York, NY

#7 Nov 4, 2008
Let's see. With Chad last year the Jets were 1-7. With Favre, the Jets are now 5-3 and have a share of first place. Any questions?
Glaubers Wrong

Rineyville, KY

#8 Nov 4, 2008
Glauber you're forgetting one thing. If Pennington was still with the Jets he'd be throwing the same dink and dunk throws he's been making his whole career. It doesn't metter what he's doing in Miami, the Jets coaches would never allow him to open it up, and so the Jets would probably have a worse record.
Here's an example. In the Arizona game when it was 4th and 1 and the Jets were going for it. Number 1 do you think the Jets would have even gone for it with Pennington as QB, and number 2 if they did, do you think they would have allowed Pennington to go deep to Cotchery for a touchdown. I don't think so!
Face it, Penningtons arm never impressed the coaches enough to open up the field, and the defenses knew it, and that's why he stunk last year. Whether you like it or not, Favre keeps the Defenses honest which has opened up the running game. Something we didn't have last year because the Defenses were stacking the lines with 8 and 9 man fronts and daring Pennington to beat them, and he couldn't.
And lets not forget one last thing. The Dolphins have benefited right now from this "wild cat" offense they've been running and caught a few teams by surprise. As the season goes on, I expect the defensive coaches of their upcoming teams to adapt and adjust to it.
Bottom line Pennington's time was through here and I think both sides were ready for a change. The Jets have 2 young QB's to go to after Favre leaves, with Ratliff being the better young QB in my opinion. Anyway, we're better off without him and he's better off without us.
24 Hours Ago

Landenberg, PA

#9 Nov 4, 2008
Hey Bob,
You are being conservative. I beleive we would be 6-2 if Chad were still here. In 6.5 of 8 games, Favre has been terrible. He is the weakest link. He offers 2 choices: dink-n-dunk or brually stupid INT. Great.
What he did in GB in the past has *no* bearing on what he is currently doing or likely to start doing. A complete waste of a year and 6 million extra dollars.
Joe

West Babylon, NY

#10 Nov 4, 2008
Regardless of what Pennington is doing in Miami now, it was his play over the past few years, his inability to stay healthy for any length of time, and the play calling strategy (of lack of faith in him arm) that got the Jets to this point. As a long time Jets fan, and Pennington fan, I have much more faith with the ball in Favre's hands to make plays and win games. It's about time we see a Jets offense forcing the action.
1 jets fan

Bedminster, NJ

#11 Nov 4, 2008
Glauber is absurd. Pennington was 1-9 as the Jets starter last year. And to evaluate this trade after 8 games and on the sole basis of passer rating is ridiculous. Pennington has always had a good passer rating because the formula rewards QBs who play it safe even as their team struggles to score points. Pennington's career rating is higher than Favre's, too, but you'd have to be a moron (or Bob Glauber) to think Pennington is anywhere near as good.

The more telling stat: TD passes. Pennington has thrown 20 TDs exactly once in his career and is on pace for just 7 this year. Favre, of course, is the all-time career leader and has thrown more than twice as many (15) as Pennington has this year.

Fools like Glauber can champion the guy who completes 68% of his passes while his team struggles to score; I'll take the guy who puts the offense in the end zone and the team in the playoffs.
EZ E

United States

#12 Nov 4, 2008
The one thing that doesn't show up in the stats.Would Chad have already been injured. Brett has taken a beating this year. He has not complained he just keeps playing. I'm not sure if Chad would have still been playing.
1 jets fan

Bedminster, NJ

#13 Nov 4, 2008
The Jets offense under Favre is second in the AFC in points scored with 208, and the team is in first place. Last year, Pennington was 1-9 as a starter and led an anemic offense that scored just 268 points for the ENTIRE season (13th in the AFC).

Favre has been a HUGE improvement over Pennington, and the most important statistics (Wins, points scored, touchdown passes) prove that beyond a doubt.
Penny Sucks

Portales, NM

#14 Nov 4, 2008
Glauber is wrong here. Pennington is having a nice year in Miami, but this article goes too far. He cannot stretch the field, doesn't convert on long 3rd downs, and he cannot take a hit. If Favre got banged up on some of these blitzes, how could Penny have survived these hits? Clemens would be our starter and we'd be garbage again.

I still cannot explain this man crush on Pennington. He is the most overrated QB in the NFL.
gamblinbrett

San Diego, CA

#15 Nov 4, 2008
I think every jets fan has seen more than enough of chad over the years. although he was decent he constantly held the team back with his weak arm and weak big play making ability. whenever the jets were down chad would be still be floating 7 yard "strikes" that were as predictable as they were pathetic. The only thing chad has was heart and favre might have him beat there as well. Seeing #4 back there even down by a couple scores, gives hope to the team, fans and prevents me from switching to the game on fox.
Kingpin

Bossier City, LA

#16 Nov 4, 2008
They actually pay Glauber to write this crap?
Bob from NY

Puerto Rico

#17 Nov 4, 2008
....but you are clueless about the topic. Seems like you are just trying to find success in a story like this one. The reason for the Jets record has more to do of all new starters on both offense and defense than having Favre on the team.
As for your Chad and Favre comparison, Brett still brings something to the table that Chad doesn't......his ability to throw the ball downfield. Teams can't stack the line with 8 (some times 9 players) to stop the run and short passing lanes. With Brett, they need to keep 4 players back to avoid a long pass. That's why you see TJ getting chunks of yards, that's why you see LC, JC and LW with a lot of YAC on short passes.
Brett's ability to throw the ball downfield (even if he has struggled so far), makes a HUGE difference on the offense. The offense will get a lot better over the next few games, but it takes time. A 5-3 record is very good for a team with so many new starters.
So please, try to find something more useful to talk about.
jimsha

Babylon, NY

#18 Nov 4, 2008
Farve has always been a gunslinger. So this strech of 3 td and 8 picks is not alarming. Of course if the jets are to succeed that has to change. But for me the key to a successful final 8 games is not so much what Farve does as much as whether the high priced off season acquistions can play at the level of last sundays game. If they do they are sure to make the playoffs no matter what farve does.
Rick M

United States

#19 Nov 4, 2008
There is no way the Jets would be succesful with Pennington. Teams stack the boc against him and know he can;t throw over 30 yards. The only reason Miami is having any kind of success is that Parcells has implenmented this unorthodox wildcat formation. Its only gonna fool people for a couple weeks. Teams will figure it out and the loses will pile up again. I love Pennington for the leader he is but secondaries fear Favre's big arm and quick adjustments.
Martin

Bronx, NY

#20 Nov 4, 2008
If Pennington was still on the Jets, he would be on the DL like he was for half his career in NY.
Farve has taken a beating back there and Chad just never did have the strength to absorb it.

Glauber is such an little old lady with his recent articles about Jessica Simpson and gossip and innuendo.

Can't Newsday get a man to cover the NFL? Send Bobby to cover the desperate housewives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Beck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Worst ever? Pathetic Dolphins lose number 13 (Dec '07) Oct '16 Tannesuck 27
John Beck nude (Mar '13) Mar '13 Natasha 1
News The Insider: Rebuilding begins with some growin... (Nov '07) Aug '12 Management 5
News 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Washington Redskins and Cl... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Skins report 2
News Mike Shanahan Doesn't Doubt Return to the Washi... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Snyderfarts 2
News Redskins-Dolphins best and worst (Nov '11) Nov '11 Hyman Seltzer 2
News Colts Daily Links: Polian and 'rats,' Manning a... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Indy Starfarts 2
More from around the web