Christian Ponder will never be a franchise quarterback

Feb 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Rant Sports

When the Minnesota Vikings drafted quarterback Christian Ponder with the No. 12 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, I screamed at the television.

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2013

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Exactly what I have been telling everybody. Anybody who thinks Ponder is a franchise QB knows nothing about NFL football. He missed his only playoff game because he is injury prone.

WHAT PLAYER MISSES PLAYOFF GAMES?

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports
When the Minnesota Vikings drafted quarterback Christian Ponder with the No. 12 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, I screamed at the television. I couldn’t understand why the team would waste a high-first-round pick on an injury-prone passer who had no idea what consistency was.
wildvikelad

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

In the last game of the regular season, against the highly touted Packers, Christian Ponder, despite having no weapons to throw to, had 3 TD passes and a QBR of 120.1. I believe you said the only reason the Vikings won the last four games was Adrian Peterson. Where the hell were you, Gil? Must have missed that game, huh?
To be sure, Peterson had a phenomenal year, but only because the Vikings offensive line opened massive holes for him to run through. So, by your logic, AP should be let go because he'll never be a franchise running back. He would be unable to get those yards without an offensive line...but you expect Ponder to do it all despite having no targets.
You have no idea what you're talking about, and others who know as little as you swear to your inaccuracies as facts.
Christian Ponder is making progress faster than most young quarterbacks with no weapons. Have you ever thrown a pass in competition, Gil?
You're like a priest doing marriage counseling.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

wildvikelad wrote:
In the last game of the regular season, against the highly touted Packers, Christian Ponder, despite having no weapons to throw to, had 3 TD passes and a QBR of 120.1. I believe you said the only reason the Vikings won the last four games was Adrian Peterson. Where the hell were you, Gil? Must have missed that game, huh?
To be sure, Peterson had a phenomenal year, but only because the Vikings offensive line opened massive holes for him to run through. So, by your logic, AP should be let go because he'll never be a franchise running back. He would be unable to get those yards without an offensive line...but you expect Ponder to do it all despite having no targets.
You have no idea what you're talking about, and others who know as little as you swear to your inaccuracies as facts.
Christian Ponder is making progress faster than most young quarterbacks with no weapons. Have you ever thrown a pass in competition, Gil?
You're like a priest doing marriage counseling.
Ponder is injury prone and not accurate enough to be my QB. He missed his only playoff game and RG3 limping played. Ponder doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to be a NFL QB. In other words he stinks.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

I wouldn't say Ponder is a franchise QB, Not yet anyway. I would say he is kind of like QB Alex Smith... Smith can manage a game & the same goes for ponder. If Ponder makes a mininum number of mistakes the team can win games. & yes even a super bowl. Brad Johnson wasn't a franchise QB but he managed the Buccaneers to a winning season & a super bowl.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Brad is a perfect example of a QB that can manage a game. He played for the vikings & tampa. & wins the super bowl with tampa. The main reason they won was Johnson kept his mistakes down & when ponder was keeping his down the vikings was winning.

“Justice always prevails”

Since: Jan 12

vacaville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Ponder has more upside than Alex smith. Ponder is still improving. Alex smith has peaked. I'd take ponder over smith and I'm a 49er fan. Don't get me wrong i like Alex, but he has no ability to make long throws consistently or the guts to make tight throws. He won't turn it over but he will eat sacks instead of taking some chances when he needs to take chances. Trust me Vikings fans you will be fine with ponder if you can get some true #1 and #2 receivers that he can throw 2 cuz peterson harvin and Rudolph need help

vacaville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

I think you guys could use some players who I hope my 9ers go after. They should be pretty cheap options too. I want Danny Amendola from rams and Ramses Barden form giants. Not too many know about Braden. 26 years old , 6'6, runs a 4.6 40. He had 100 yards and a td in the one game he started. I see a lot of potential
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

I agree ponder does have more upside then smith also only going into his third year this year.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

The 49ers need a place kicker for sure. mabe there 5th or 6th pick they should think about it. I think what the 49ers first needs are is someone for the defensive line when justin smith went down so did the sack total & they also need a wideout to replace randy moss. he now is 36 years old. over all the 49ers are a very solid team & dont have many needs other then needing solid backup players when their starters go down

vacaville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

viking nation wrote:
The 49ers need a place kicker for sure. mabe there 5th or 6th pick they should think about it. I think what the 49ers first needs are is someone for the defensive line when justin smith went down so did the sack total & they also need a wideout to replace randy moss. he now is 36 years old. over all the 49ers are a very solid team & dont have many needs other then needing solid backup players when their starters go down
Yeah a kicker is a MUST. Anyone but Akers. I want a big receiver for redone passes. We have a very small to average height receivers. You're right we need depth on the d line, our starters play almost the whole game . We also need a better #1 corner back. Since I have heard we won't go after revis I'd like to get asamugah if the eagles let him go as the rumors say is a possibility.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Yes asomugha would fit the 49ers D better then he does with the eagles for sure. the 49ers would be awesome with him in the backfield.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

I would pick for the Vikings Cordarrelle Patterson, Keenan Allen Marquise Goodwin , anyone of them with the first pick.if there, & for the Bears a OT a must, then a G & MLB & a safety but they got to keep cutler upright, he has the weapons around him now to be a winning team if the front line can keep cutler off his back. & the Packers well they had a lot of beat up players on both sides of the ball last year but they really need a every down RB to keep Aaron from having to do it all his self. next someone that can get pressure for their defensive line I mean even when the starters wasn't hurt they wasn't getting pressure on the QB & also they need a CB to take woodson place. Last the Lions To start with their over the cap., we should see some of their players looking for a new team. The lions biggest need is a DE, they have two good DT but their DE didn't play well last year be it run or pass & the secondary was a joke. I would think they would try & get a few players for the secondary maybe a CB & safety, ILB

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

The_Solution wrote:
Ponder has more upside than Alex smith. Ponder is still improving. Alex smith has peaked. I'd take ponder over smith and I'm a 49er fan. Don't get me wrong i like Alex, but he has no ability to make long throws consistently or the guts to make tight throws. He won't turn it over but he will eat sacks instead of taking some chances when he needs to take chances. Trust me Vikings fans you will be fine with ponder if you can get some true #1 and #2 receivers that he can throw 2 cuz peterson harvin and Rudolph need help
Yeah, i am glad the Vikings did not go after Alex Smith.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Joe Webb Discussions

Search the Joe Webb Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings: Joe Webb signed as QB by Pan... Mar '14 Cams Kankle 13
Monday (Packers would be dangerous with an indo... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 18
Green Bay Packers Must Focus on Quarterback, No... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 5
Spielman's not an honor student so far in draft (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
Minnesota Vikings still like Joe Webb's versati... (Aug '13) Aug '13 viking nation 3
Jared Allen's Remarks Put the Onus On Christian... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Fran the Man 8
Sage Rosenfels Has Retired (Jul '13) Jul '13 Bleeds Purple 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••