Ohio.com - Quinn waits to sign, shoul...

Ohio.com - Quinn waits to sign, should wait longer to play

There are 16 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 7, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Quinn waits to sign, should wait longer to play. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Just because Brady Quinn has signed, that doesn't make him the starting quarterback.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Sunday

Evanston, IL

#1 Aug 8, 2007
Please. The Browns have two veteran QBs and neither of them have shown they deserve the chance to start. Why waste any more time hoping for a miracle with the two existing guys?

When Brady starts is not the question. He's going to start. And that game will mark a new era of hope for Browns fans.
Jack Hill

Lady Lake, FL

#2 Aug 8, 2007
Quinn, realistically, can't be thrown into the fire until he's mastered the offense. Given the shocking lack of QB talent on this team, Quinn may be forced into action before he's ready which would be a huge mistake. This season looks like 4 - 12 or 5 - 11 anyway so don't make the mistake of rushing this kid. By the by, fire Crennel.
BurghDawg

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Aug 8, 2007
After the bye-week would be fine with me. Throwing them in too early is a recipe for disaster....although that's exactly what happened to Quinn when he was a freshman and was given a surprise start. He was hammered in that game, but 4 years later was a star - so, you have to start sometime. And,if Quinn is merely average, he will constitute a massive upgrade over Chuck Frey {MASSIVE}.
John

Appleton, WI

#4 Aug 8, 2007
I don't see any need to start Quinn right away, I mean what all did he do in college the other 2 QB's didn't. I mean he never won a bowl game or any real big game for that matter.

I find it very unfair to judge the talent of Frye or Anderson at this point. For one a new system was put in place (once again) and needs learned by ALL players, not just the QB's.

That and I find it unfair to really judge Frye's performance last year based on the line and lack of running game we had!! You can not be a 'one trick pony' in the NFL and without a line or running game you are nothing more than that!!! Give Frye the same protection you want to give Quinn and see how he performs! I watched this guy all thru college and he performed. He blew away all other QB's at the senior bowl and was named MVP for a reason, even though higher rated QB's were in that game!! Let's not write off Charlie Frye just yet! He had to try to lead a team that had no idea where they were going most of last year, and with a line many grandmother's could have gotten thru!

Quinn is not the end all at the QB spot!! We need to PROVE to the QB he will be protected, and that there is talent on the line (finally) and that we have a real running game in place. After all that is in place, even a mediocre QB could achieve success.

If Quinn is the QB of the future, let him sit and learn. How long did Steve Young (of SF) sit before becoming a perenial all star? Several years!! Same with almost every other QB that has made an impact on the league!!

They should have never sent Frye in as early as they did, especially with Maurice Carthon's antiquated offensive schemes that were really offensive to anyone who watched! That is the Browns fault!! Not Charlie Frye!!! He still has it and I think we will see it happen for him and the Browns!!

I hope Quinn has to sit even longer, him and his BS holdout!! Come in and prove to me you are a top notch NFL QB before you expect to get paid like one!! If he took some of the hits Frye did last year he'd be a bit shell shocked too and we'd be looking for someone to replace him!!

Cleveland needs to bring the QB's in properly. Since their return they've screwed with the careers of Tim Couch, and now Charlie Frye! Shame on them!! I thought the Browns were pros!!
Johnny X

Akron, OH

#6 Aug 8, 2007
Kent Dawg,

It seems most Browns fans have very short memories. They don't remember the horrible offensive line from last year. They don't remember Tim Couch being forced to start too soon. They don't remember how good Carson Palmer in Cincinnati looked after holding the clipboard for a whole season.
Mike Lost in San Diego

San Diego, CA

#10 Aug 8, 2007
Quinn played on a sub-par team with against several teams that had first rounder talent.

Let's see.... Ohio State....
Hawk, Carpenter were both first round picks... as was a CB and S.

LSU.....
#1 overall Russell.... with TWO first round WR's this year and a potential first rounder as the #3 guy. Not to mention their first round safety Landry.

USC.....
Seriously.... do I NEED to rehash all their picks?

And you want to fault Quinn for losing with a team that has had only ONE offensive player other than him drafted in the top 3 rounds in the past 2 years now?

The kid ain't that bad. He isn't John Elway either. He has a lot to prove.
Old guard Sandy Athens

Everett, PA

#11 Aug 8, 2007
The Browns passed on Dante Culpepper and had no interest in Troy Smith, the Heisman winner. Going Back to the first draft of the new Browns the Browns have never seriously considered an african-amercian qb,(Ok, there was Spergeon Wynn, but was he ever thought of as a number 1 qb.)
What should we make of this?
Sunday

Plano, TX

#12 Aug 8, 2007
The lack of an offensive line and running game have nothing to do with the fact that Chuck can't look off a receiver or throw accurately beyong 20 yards with any kind of consistency. Chuck should start this year with an upgraded line and running game, only to prove that even these have little to do with his technical skills. If the incumbent starter can't even win the the starting job against his back up in camp, that should tell you the Browns have already made up their minds on Chuck's abilities.

In the end, the more Mr. Frye plays, the better Mr. Quinn will look when it's his time.

Class of 68

United States

#13 Aug 8, 2007
Old guard Sandy Athens - Ah, but you forget that the Browns DO have a black quarterback. Just because they made him a wideout doesn't take away from the fact that Josh Cribbs finished his college career as the KSU starting QB.

In fact, I'd rather see Cribbs play a few downs in the pre-season opener than Brady Quinn. Any day.
Dave D

Loveland, OH

#14 Aug 8, 2007
Just to contradict an earlier comment...Frye did not have better college stats than Quinn.

Frye in 4 years: 64 TD's, 32 INT's, 11,049 total passing yards.
Quinn in 4 years: 95 TD's, 39 INT's, 11,762 total passing yards.

When you look at just their last two seasons...when they had grown and matured as QB's there numbers are:

Frye (last 2 years): 40 TD's, 17 INT's, 6172 passing yards.
Quinn (last 2 years): 69 TD's, 14 INT's, 7345 passing yards.

I'm not arguing for one and against the other. Just trying to stop the spreading of bad information.
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#16 Aug 8, 2007
Old guard Sandy Athens wrote:
The Browns passed on Dante Culpepper and had no interest in Troy Smith, the Heisman winner. Going Back to the first draft of the new Browns the Browns have never seriously considered an african-amercian qb,(Ok, there was Spergeon Wynn, but was he ever thought of as a number 1 qb.)
What should we make of this?
What should we make of this? We should make of this that you're another young suburban white guy without a foggy clue.
Mike

Brook Park, OH

#17 Aug 9, 2007
Kent Dawg:
Re: "Pretty impressive since Frye had no OL to work with."

Do you honestly not understand the difference between the Notre Dame and Akron U?(hint: it has something to do with Michigan, and USC as rivals vs Kent St as a rival).

On top of the vast gap in schedules, Quinn also had an atrocious OL, and as previously mentioned in this thread, 1 teammate on offense drafted in the last 2 years (ie, no running game, mediocre receivers, etc...).

I won't argue that the kid's going to be all-world, but he's got a lot of positives, which seem to be systematically neglected here, where everyone loves OSU, and would love to see Michigan and Notre Dame simultaneously implode.
GJGood

Merrillville, IN

#18 Aug 9, 2007
John wrote:
I don't see any need to start Quinn right away, I mean what all did he do in college the other 2 QB's didn't. I mean he never won a bowl game or any real big game for that matter.
I find it very unfair to judge the talent of Frye or Anderson at this point. For one a new system was put in place (once again) and needs learned by ALL players, not just the QB's.
That and I find it unfair to really judge Frye's performance last year based on the line and lack of running game we had!! You can not be a 'one trick pony' in the NFL and without a line or running game you are nothing more than that!!! Give Frye the same protection you want to give Quinn and see how he performs! I watched this guy all thru college and he performed. He blew away all other QB's at the senior bowl and was named MVP for a reason, even though higher rated QB's were in that game!! Let's not write off Charlie Frye just yet! He had to try to lead a team that had no idea where they were going most of last year, and with a line many grandmother's could have gotten thru!
Quinn is not the end all at the QB spot!! We need to PROVE to the QB he will be protected, and that there is talent on the line (finally) and that we have a real running game in place. After all that is in place, even a mediocre QB could achieve success.
If Quinn is the QB of the future, let him sit and learn. How long did Steve Young (of SF) sit before becoming a perenial all star? Several years!! Same with almost every other QB that has made an impact on the league!!
They should have never sent Frye in as early as they did, especially with Maurice Carthon's antiquated offensive schemes that were really offensive to anyone who watched! That is the Browns fault!! Not Charlie Frye!!! He still has it and I think we will see it happen for him and the Browns!!
I hope Quinn has to sit even longer, him and his BS holdout!! Come in and prove to me you are a top notch NFL QB before you expect to get paid like one!! If he took some of the hits Frye did last year he'd be a bit shell shocked too and we'd be looking for someone to replace him!!
Cleveland needs to bring the QB's in properly. Since their return they've screwed with the careers of Tim Couch, and now Charlie Frye! Shame on them!! I thought the Browns were pros!!
I completely agree with this. Why not give Frye or Anderson a shot with this revamped line? Being from Columbus, I have been watching Quinn for a number of years now. His biggest problem is staring down receivers (sound familiar?) and not looking to other options when the primary receiver ona play is not open.

Plus, Charlie (and probably Derek)is much more of a threat with his mobility, elusiveness and rushing ability than Brady Quinn.

It is true that both Quinn and Frye had less than stellar offensive lines in college and still put up impressive numbers. While Quinn may have played a tougher collegiate schedule it could also be argued that the expectations at ND were not met under Quinn's leadership. They expect championships or at least bowl wins.
The hope when Frye got to Akron was just that they could win 3 or 4 games in a season. Instead, Charlie led Akron to a level that they hadn't reached since jumping to Division 1-A. The Zips with Frye had a couple of big conference upsets, a good game at Ohio State, and became bowl eligible for the first time in school history.That may seem small to many but I believe it says something about the character and leadership ability of Frye.
Plus, Charlie frequently outplayed some of his MAC counterparts like Roethlieberger and Leftwich in games and those guys are solid NFL QBs that simply have had better protection around them.
OSUFAN

East Hartford, CT

#19 Aug 9, 2007
GJGood wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree with this. Why not give Frye or Anderson a shot with this revamped line? Being from Columbus, I have been watching Quinn for a number of years now. His biggest problem is staring down receivers (sound familiar?) and not looking to other options when the primary receiver ona play is not open.
Plus, Charlie (and probably Derek)is much more of a threat with his mobility, elusiveness and rushing ability than Brady Quinn.
It is true that both Quinn and Frye had less than stellar offensive lines in college and still put up impressive numbers. While Quinn may have played a tougher collegiate schedule it could also be argued that the expectations at ND were not met under Quinn's leadership. They expect championships or at least bowl wins.
The hope when Frye got to Akron was just that they could win 3 or 4 games in a season. Instead, Charlie led Akron to a level that they hadn't reached since jumping to Division 1-A. The Zips with Frye had a couple of big conference upsets, a good game at Ohio State, and became bowl eligible for the first time in school history.That may seem small to many but I believe it says something about the character and leadership ability of Frye.
Plus, Charlie frequently outplayed some of his MAC counterparts like Roethlieberger and Leftwich in games and those guys are solid NFL QBs that simply have had better protection around them.
Come on buddy you are comparing the MAC to a schedule that is Basically the upper half of the big ten with USC on it. Ok the academies suck but hey so does the entire MAC.

Oh and quinns mobility in question? hey I'm not a huge fan of the guy but did you see the 60 yard run he had against USC last season... Tell me thats not mobility for a Pocket Passer.
Mike H

United States

#20 Aug 9, 2007
If you check the stats, Frye had better stats than BQ in college.

Not quite, while many want to make a lot of the 2 games Quinn played against service academies each year, Charlie Frye's entire schedule was like that. Not to mention Quinn had better stats against better competition, he also went to bowl games.
Johnny X

Akron, OH

#21 Aug 9, 2007
Regardless of how their college careers ended up, the fact of the matter is that Quinn is the QB of the future. This is not the future. Right now he's just a rookie, and as just a rookie he needs to sit and learn and be ready to play in '08 or '09. In the meantime, let's see what Charlie and/or Derek are capable of, while the rookie QB holds the clipboard, like rookie QB's are supposed to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL OTAs: Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Bl... (May '14) May '14 Magnum Man II 5
News Chip Kelly's offense likely not a good fit for ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 se michigan brow... 2
News Odd Facts You Didn't Know About The Cowboys And... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Joe Haden Takes on Aaron Rodgers in Madden 2013... (Mar '12) Mar '12 PersonDude 1
News Tucker has surgery on hip (May '08) Dec '11 Kris 6
News In defeat, Peyton Hillis provides Cleveland Bro... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tony 1
News Mike Berardino: Is Brian Daboll the right man t... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Philine 1
More from around the web