No. 3 pick should get No. 3 pay

No. 3 pick should get No. 3 pay

There are 26 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jul 25, 2007, titled No. 3 pick should get No. 3 pay. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Joe Thomas was the No. 3 pick in the draft, so the Browns should pay him like the No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James Y

Westerville, OH

#21 Jul 25, 2007
I couldn't agree more. If we don't have a line in place come September, our season is shot no matter who is quaterback. It should be interesting to see how this Quinn contract shakes out. If he thinks he should be paid as a top three pick then let him watch from the stands. I really think if Charlie has a chance to set up he can win us some games. If not, on to someone else.
IM4REAL

Findlay, OH

#22 Jul 25, 2007
With one play, any player's career can be over. Any contract you sign could be your last. For anyone to say they would step on that field for anything less than they have to accept, go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you appreciate your job, and you would like to work for less. The NFL can stop this at any time by setting a pay system for draft picks based on the number selected.THEY WON'T! Not when they can ultimately say " this is what you play for, or you don't play". The salary cap tells them what they have, and common sense tells them not to spend any more than needed on ANY player. Until this changes there will be hold outs, and I cannot blame any player or team.
IM4REAL

Findlay, OH

#23 Jul 25, 2007
To draft Joe Thomas at number 3, and then try to get out of paying him what ANY number 3 pick would be paid, would be an insult to anyone. I do not believe that is how the Browns organization operates. I hope not. There are so many ways to get CREATIVE with how someone gets paid, there are give and take scenarios that players and teams have to agree on, that it takes time. ANY player wants what they can get up front and guaranteed. ANY team wants to pay ONLY what they have to, WHEN they have to. I have waited a lot of years on JOE THOMAS. The sooner he is on the field, the better. I hope when he gets there his mind is only on winning and giving 100%. I'll be here.
Josh

AOL

#24 Jul 25, 2007
If you agree with 4REAL, then the change that needs to be made is the loophole that allows the player to go back into the draft the next year. Either the league should give the team their draft pick back when that happens, or dont allow the player to sign with another team without compensations (forced the player to leave via trade).

I, personally, think the NBA has it right. Set a pay scale, give the rookies a base salary according to their slot, and allow incentives for starting, statistical goals, and postseason awards. Doesnt seem like rocket science, does it?

As the system is set up now, PAY THOMAS. He's the most important Browns draft pick since '99. Proceed accordingly.

I havent seen this much agreement on one topic on this board since I started posting. Truly amazing.
Todd

Chicago, IL

#25 Jul 25, 2007
Long snapper.........sorry.....had to ......catch..my breathe. Wow, haven't laughed that hard for awhile!
Savage Resurgence

Ashtabula, OH

#26 Jul 25, 2007
Right on! I don't even understand the other side of the argument. If the Browns thought that Quinn or any other QB was more valuable than Thomas, they'd have taken said QB. The sheer fact that they didn't is 100% proof positive that they felt Thomas was more valuable. MORE VALUABLE=MORE MONEY. It is so simple. The fact that Commissioner,GM's,Owners,Agent s and Players can't get that straight leads me to believe that we need a structured rookie payout based on draft order. You really got this one wrong NFL. Here's hoping you fix it soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL OTAs: Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Bl... (May '14) May '14 Magnum Man II 5
News Chip Kelly's offense likely not a good fit for ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 se michigan brow... 2
News Odd Facts You Didn't Know About The Cowboys And... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Joe Haden Takes on Aaron Rodgers in Madden 2013... (Mar '12) Mar '12 PersonDude 1
News Tucker has surgery on hip (May '08) Dec '11 Kris 6
News In defeat, Peyton Hillis provides Cleveland Bro... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tony 1
News Mike Berardino: Is Brian Daboll the right man t... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Philine 1
More from around the web