No. 3 pick should get No. 3 pay

Joe Thomas was the No. 3 pick in the draft, so the Browns should pay him like the No. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
StickMcNeil

Fort Myers, FL

#1 Jul 25, 2007
Terry, you're are absolutely correct. Braylon Edwards got "skill player" #3 money and hasn't earned it thus far, nor did Couch, Brown or Warren as early picks for various reasons. The NFL and the NFLPA are crazy not to follow the NBA lead and have limits on rookie contracts. It gives the veterans a larger cut of the pie, as they've earned it, limits teams losses when the rookie is a bust and totally eliminates holdouts.
Temple-Man

Warren, NJ

#2 Jul 25, 2007
If we drafted Joe Thomas at #3, that's how important he is to our franchise.

Pay him.
a voice

Niles, OH

#3 Jul 25, 2007
They will get him into camp,just wait and see. If he's late in signing the Pluto's will have something else to flap about. Besides at left tackle how many reads are there.Several I'm sure yet not enough to confuse Thomas even if he's late in making his X. Go Browns
Cloverine Fleetwood

Loudonville, OH

#4 Jul 25, 2007
Mr. Pluto's point, pay a 3 as a 3, is so common sense it is ashame that he had to write it. His common sense is one of the reasons that makes Terry Pluto the best writer at the Beason Journal. I like some of the others very much (e.g. Carl Chancellor, Stephanie Warsmith, Katie Byard, Brian Windhorst, Sheldon Ocker), but Mr. Pluto leads the pack.

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

#5 Jul 25, 2007
A #3 pick deserves #3 pay, just like a #22 pick deserves #22 pay. Joe Thomas will have a more immediate impact on the Browns than will Brady Quinn.
TTownrick

Warren, OH

#6 Jul 25, 2007
Amen, Terry! Quit Clowning around, pay the guy and let's get this franchise moving towards respectability!
John Purcell

Dallas, TX

#7 Jul 25, 2007
The Browns should pay Thomas 10% more then last years #3 period. The same for Quinn. 10% more then last years #22. This rookies dig such a huge hole for themselves by doing this Sh_t... If your that good, go earn it. If not, you will be holding a clipboard and don't desrve the minimum. Go Browns ! Root for the team, not the players. The players are only here for a few years anyway !
Tom Koch

Youngstown, OH

#8 Jul 25, 2007
I agree about Joe Thomas - you drafted him NO.3 pay the man - this season is too critical for the front office - the coaching staff and frankly the fans to be screwing around with slotting - lineman vs. skilled positions- pay him and get on with it
bill angel

United States

#9 Jul 25, 2007
To put this column in perspective, read Michael Lewis's book, THE BLIND SIDE. According to Lewis, the starting offensive left takle IS a skilled position, one requiring unique attributes of size, foot quickness, and overall athleticism. That is why men who hold this position are the second highest paid players in the NFL, next only to starting quarterbacks.
Steve

United States

#10 Jul 25, 2007
I do not fill that any "ROOKIE" is worth the amount of money these kids are getting. They have not proven themselves at the professional level and therefore why should they make more money than a 10 year veteran. When they start holding out because of money, it's no longer about the team, it's about them and the cash. I think no matter where they're chosen in the draft, all rookies should be paid the minimum salary for the first 2 years. If a rookie or his agent feels he's worth more then add incentive bonuses, give the kid something to shoot for, make him prove he's worthy of the big bucks. Go Browns!!!!!
Jack Hill

San Juan, TX

#11 Jul 25, 2007
I agree on Thomas. Savage can't procrastinate on this signing since he made the decision to take a tackle at no. 3. This guy is the real deal and can make a huge difference in a relatively short time.

Quinn, on the other hand, looked more like a PR stunt on draft day to deflect the fans frustration with this pathetic franchise than a viable pick. The guy was still there at 22 for a reason; he's got a lot of holes in his game.
Dave R

Bay City, MI

#12 Jul 25, 2007
Terry - I don't totally agree with your view on this. I think they should pay him like a #3 offensive tackle pick, because tackles are not worth as much as quarterbacks, running backs, or wide receivers. In order to do this, I'd suggest that the Browns go back to the last draft where a tackle was taken at the #3 spot (2000, Chris Samuels, Washington) and take his contract as a starting point after updating his offer to 2007 dollars. From that point you would then consider any other changes in the last seven years that have affected offensive tackle pay. I think this way you would get a fair number for a guy at Joe's position.
Dan

Urbana, IL

#13 Jul 25, 2007
The level of agreement here is amazing. It tells you something about how simple this is.

If a team values a lineman enough to pick him at #3, they value him enough to pay him like a #3.

The exact same logic applies to a #22.

And I'm guessing we all agree there should be a standard pay scale for rookies. Does anyone know if either the owners or the players' union have ever proposed that?
Mike

San Diego, CA

#14 Jul 25, 2007
I like the idea of Savage "running his own team". I agree that Thomas should get paid like a #3 pick.... and here's your starting point.... Last year's #4 pick.... D'Brickshaw Ferguson. What did he get? I would at least try to make sure it is in the same ballpark. As for a #3 vs #4... hey... it's ONE PICK DIFFERENT. If a team knew a player would hold out over what is essentially a fair offer.... would they draft him? I'm not saying shortchange him.... I am saying it's a good start point. I do however agree with a lot of these guys here.... Braylon... YOU ARE NOT PLAYING UP TO #3 PICK LEVEL. Heck... last year's Mr. Insignificant is making you look shameful. On that note.... I do think that the NFL needs to standardize the pay across the league.... and base it ON PERFORMANCE. Make sure the rookies are taken care of financially and can focus on football.... but make them EARN their millions IN THE LEAGUE.... and not necessarily on the collegiate field and through a draft crapshoot. Pay for performance.... with a "safety net" baseline pay scale.
WORM

Bristolville, OH

#15 Jul 25, 2007
IT DOESNT MATTER FOLKS THIS IS STILL CLEVELAND FOOTBALL. THE BEST FARM SYSTEM THE NFL HAS EVER HAD. JOE AND BRADY WILL HAVE GREAT CAREERS, BUT WITH ANOTHER TEAM OF COURSE.
James

Campbellsville, KY

#16 Jul 25, 2007
Well said.
roger vanhoose

Salyersville, KY

#17 Jul 25, 2007
i totally agree , pay the man . if hes not worth #3 pay , why take him ? PAY HIM
Big Al

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Jul 25, 2007
Terry is right on point.

Pay Thomas number three money.

Pay Quinn number 22 money...maybe a tad more but not much.(Doesn't he still dream of being the quarterback for the orange and brown?)

And if Quinn is as smart as people say he is, he will get into camp as opposed to signing autographs for 75 bucks a pop at a local mall. That does not sit well with we Cleveland fans....especially during a hold out.
a voice

Niles, OH

#19 Jul 25, 2007
WORM wrote:
IT DOESNT MATTER FOLKS THIS IS STILL CLEVELAND FOOTBALL. THE BEST FARM SYSTEM THE NFL HAS EVER HAD. JOE AND BRADY WILL HAVE GREAT CAREERS, BUT WITH ANOTHER TEAM OF COURSE.
We were hoping that by watching a little more TV you could give a more negative view. Was it 8th or 9th grade
Mike

San Diego, CA

#20 Jul 25, 2007
You know.... it really looks like most everyone is pretty much in agreement that Thomas should get paid top money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NFL OTAs: Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Bl... (May '14) May '14 Magnum Man II 5
Chip Kelly's offense likely not a good fit for ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 se michigan brow... 2
Odd Facts You Didn't Know About The Cowboys And... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Joe Haden Takes on Aaron Rodgers in Madden 2013... (Mar '12) Mar '12 PersonDude 1
Tucker has surgery on hip (May '08) Dec '11 Kris 6
In defeat, Peyton Hillis provides Cleveland Bro... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tony 1
Mike Berardino: Is Brian Daboll the right man t... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Philine 1
More from around the web