PAINTER: USC's fortunes go south by N...

PAINTER: USC's fortunes go south by Northwest again

There are 24 comments on the LA Daily News story from Sep 20, 2009, titled PAINTER: USC's fortunes go south by Northwest again. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

We've come to expect a bad USC football loss every year. It's a given every season when the Trojans travel up north that they'll lose a game they have no business losing, yet they've won the past seven Pac-10 titles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tom

Bonsall, CA

#1 Sep 20, 2009
College Football is great because...IT IS PLAYED BY KIDS. While it is true that these "kids" are "adults" they are not. They are kids, TWEENERS, on the precipe of becoming young adults. The one thing that you can predict from the kids is that they are not consistent. On any given Saturday Southern Cal can be defeated by most any other College team...like they proved with their lack of steallar performance against Washington.

I look forward to another exciting season of Pac-10 thrillers. In everything that is being written this was NOT A BLOWOUT. It was a competitive game until the last minute. This just demonstrates the parity of talent that exists in the Pac-10.

To have a National Champion emerge from such a Conference with the inherent parity and competition is not going to be a normal event. That is ABNORMAL and it is amazing that anyone in the conference can compete as well as Pete Carroll's squads have.

Look what Pete Carroll lost last yer...the Offensive Coordinator, who, as HEAD COACH of the Huskies engineered a victory.

Yes...These are kids whom have been lead by some talented coaches to achieve extraordinary feats. I do not expect much better.
JimmytheGeek

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Sep 20, 2009
USC's got a lot left to play for. If anyone loves to play football, then this is the time to show it. They may still have a chance to play for the NC, if every top ten teams love one game this year. As much as there is still much to play for. I don't think USC is that good this year. The defense is about rigtht giving up one TD per game but the offense is so WEAK that SC is vulnerable when opposing teams score just 13 pts. SC may lose to Notre Dame, who scores 38 pts a game this yr. The SC defense can hold ND to 20 pts but the SC offense may not even score 16 pts. Looks like Cal is going to win the Pac 10 as they beat USC and everyone else this year. The freshmen SC QB's just can't sling in a pass within the brief 1-2 seconds a receiver is open. I thought SC was concealing their play calling from opponents with their simple play calling - mostly short passes but it wasn't. This will never give the QB's time to tweak their long pass. Furthermore, the QB's need to shake leg in the pocket while they looking for an open receiver down field for 30+ yds. They are getting sacked or taking too much pressure from the def. ends ever since the OSU game. Sanchez who managed to wait longer for an open receiver knew how to move around the pocket to buy more time. These QB's rely too much on the offensive line. This years offense is terrible from the players all the way to the coaching. Ever since Norm Chow left, SC's had a bad game like this every year losing to an unranked Pac10 team. These other coordinators just can adjust their play calling during the game. I thought they should have rehired Norm. Maybe after this season, they can hire him back from UCLA.($$$) The idea makes strong sense! With Norm back, SC can recruit well again especially QB's & they put UCLA back. After this season I don't know if SC is gonna be top 4 anymore in recruiting. All the top coaches go through a 10 year cycle, where the programs goes down about the 8th, 9th or 10th year. It starts with a bad year, then the recruitment falls the subsequent years. If the coach is good, then he can coach his way out of the slide - get the players he got left to play beyond their expected caliber, then the following years the recuitment comes back up. This includes hiring the right personnel, gameplan, and motivating the players weekly. Carroll's had it good for almost 10 yrs with quality recuits. This time he is being tested. If he is as good a coach as they say, then he will coach his team out of it, be right back in the hunt next year or in 2011, like Florida came back to win the NC again and maintain their recruitment ability.
usc SUCKS

South Gate, CA

#3 Sep 20, 2009
Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, oh, wait, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! Sorry Pete "Cheater" Carroll, that is but a taste to come. You did not want Sanchez to leave because you needed him to lead your star loaded team (which is leaderless), but wait look at here, Mays followed your advise and did not leave and now he is hurt. I am forgetting something, oh yeah! Ha, Ha, Ha!
John

Redlands, CA

#4 Sep 20, 2009
Sark and his 5 former USC coaches know SC well. In hind sight, my expectations for Corp were overblown-- an understatement. But he was up against more than rookie jitters, in a hostile environment, playing an important conference game. He was up against an opponent who had more than his play book. They knew the mind set and nuances of the the whole program. And PC and co. had the same advantage in reverse....and better players (QB the exception). Given those facts, Sark, out coached, out strategized, and left his mentor in the dust.

Corp may well become the poster boy for the "worst USC QB" ever. But before that happens,I would Iike to know, from the coaching staff, why his receivers were so easily covered. The d-backs were all over them...double coverage! Even when Corp completed a pass the coverage was tight. Why?..... My suspensions?..... To borrow a quote from General George Patton to General Rommel after he smoked his panzers in Africa, "I read your BooK"! Sark had PC's book memorized.

SC had them on the running game because the O-line is top in the country. Sark knew that he would have to stop SC with linebacking and and a tight d-back coverage. How it worked, he probably couldn't have imagined. Tight coverage unnerved rookie Corp and a couple fumbles unnerved everybody else. Nick Holt--Bring on the 8-man line and let the momentum carry us. By the way, Nick read not only read your book, he helped write it.

For several years we have assumed that all PC has to do is re-load. Maybe this year he has to re-build. Which takes time and patience, especially for the band- wagon fans. I'd like to see Corp rebound from this and contribute. And yes, see the wunderkind live up to PC's hype. And see SC be successful THIS year. But If the Trojans lose 3 or 4 games and go to a lesser bowl, yes, that would hurt and is certainly not USC normal. But if it makes them a better team, and in PC's "win always" relentless philosophy, a quality QB emerges and a running back who can run and hold on to the ball at the same time emerges. Fight On! 2010!

Congratulation To Sark and Nick. And to PC for a mentoring job well done. No sarcasm intended, really. To Chris Polk for changing his commitment to U-DUB, great game. Yea, Redlands! And to Corp. I thought all you had to do is show up and your talent would take care of the rest. But you were working against circumstances not associated with a normal game. USC 'Pride' showcases the Trojans armed with a highly sharpened swords when entering the coliseums of college football....even Tommy Trojan is caring a sword. Hopefully Aaron, if you ever get a chance, you'll be given your sword this time.........before you enter the battle. Thanks
Me in So CaL

Perris, CA

#5 Sep 20, 2009
Corp stunk!
Chowvenge

United States

#6 Sep 20, 2009
As Neuheisle put it " the casrds are being reshuffled as we speak"
Chowvenge

United States

#7 Sep 20, 2009
U.c.l.a. is taking over the monopoly
joe smith

La Palma, CA

#8 Sep 20, 2009
look, ucla sucks just a little bit less than the teams they've played so far. i think people are expecting too much out of usc. first of all, oregon state and washington have a big thing in common: coaches who know the usc defense AND offense inside and out as they helped write the usc defense and offensive strategies. notice that washington didn't not blow out usc; they just knew enough to get by.
U r not so smart

Bangkok, Thailand

#9 Sep 21, 2009
USC suffers from a lack of motivation for the whole season.
Hawkeye

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#10 Sep 21, 2009
It isn't the University of Spoiled Children for nothing. What a bunch of primadonnas not to take the Huskies seriously. I thoroughly enjoyed the Huskies victory! Maybe finally I'll see less of those irritating USC license plate frames on moron drivers who think they own the road.
HB Guy

Redondo Beach, CA

#11 Sep 21, 2009
Now watch Washington get blown out the rest of the season. These lame second rate teams get so "up" for USC. Why dont these teams play that way the rest of the season? They're lame, thats why.
Didn't think the Trojans would win the championship this year. They have to rebuild sometime.
The second tier rest of the Pac Ten now have a chance. Don't blow it.
Its only one game. We'll be back.
Shermani

Portland, OR

#12 Sep 21, 2009
As a USC Alum, I am still drinking the koolaid. As a fan, I was hotter than the space shuttle on lift off. I can not believe that we (USC) would allow Aaron Corp to continue in a college level game, when he performed like a high school freshman QB. He had zero focus, and was unable to lead his team on the field. It's easy to point fingers on Monday morning, but the reality of all of this is that we need to get the fire back in our bellies. We are NOT the team that we once were, but we can return to greatness with some focus. I have a ton of respect for Pete Carroll, and I have NOT, and WILL NOT lose faith in him because we lose a game here and there that we have no business losing. This is called "REALITY". No one is perfect, and this is why they call it a game. If we were guaranteed winners every game, eventually, no one would watch.
Stay tuned people, the mighty Trojans will turn this past weeks horrific showing into a learning lesson. Pete Carroll is NOT someone that just sits back and allows this type of behavior to continue. Be a true believer people, not a band wagon fan.
Bob

United States

#13 Sep 21, 2009
Awe....is poor wittle Trojan fan not feelwing well? Tamey pooo

Where's all the gloatting fans that talk about "My Trojans"? Where are they now???

This time last Monday there were over 900 posters thumping their chests and predicting a National Champion. Hmmmmmm....where are they now?

C-ya Sucka!!
usc SUCKS

South Gate, CA

#14 Sep 21, 2009
Bob wrote:
Where's all the gloatting fans that talk about "My Trojans"? Where are they now???
This time last Monday there were over 900 posters thumping their chests and predicting a National Champion. Hmmmmmm....where are they now?
C-ya Sucka!!
Yup! they are good weather fans, they do not stick by their team when they are down. Its not over till the fat lady sings, and it going to sing later on this year when the NCAA comes out with its conclusion of the Reggie Bush taking money scam. My, how things have changed, wipe those tears trojan fans cause more pain is coming, LOL.
HB Guy

El Segundo, CA

#15 Sep 21, 2009
Bob wrote:
C-ya Sucka!!
Ohio? Your the "sucka". Ohio St. and the rest of the "little Ten" will get stomped again this season. So overated. I am a BIG Trojan fan, stumbles and all. Pac 10 will stomp you midwestern wimps all the way through the bowls.
Fight On Trojans!!
usc SUCKS

South Gate, CA

#16 Sep 21, 2009
joe smith wrote:
look, ucla sucks just a little bit less than the teams they've played so far. i think people are expecting too much out of usc. first of all, oregon state and washington have a big thing in common: coaches who know the usc defense AND offense inside and out as they helped write the usc defense and offensive strategies. notice that washington didn't not blow out usc; they just knew enough to get by.
You want some cheese with that wine Joey! LOL. The question is what has SC done lately, nothing. You have nothing to fear but your QBs, LOL. Pete "Cheater" Carroll is not able to get the extra help from other coaches anymore, remember the NCAA is looking into allegations. Hmm, interesting that two of his top coaches leave and this comes out, Hmm, LOL. I guess the shoe is in the other foot, poor Petey. What comes around goes around buddy! The monopoly is changing! Lets see how bad you guys get beat by UCLA, Bite On! By the way where are the trojan minions? this is too easy, LOL.
UCLA FOREVER

El Segundo, CA

#17 Sep 21, 2009
GET USED TO IT SC THE TASTE OF LOSING TO A PAC 10 TEAM. WAS THAT YOU THAT I HEARD CRYING SATURDAY NIGHT????? MOVE OVER SC THE BRUINS ARE MARCHING ON.
HB Local

Hermosa Beach, CA

#18 Sep 21, 2009
What's so amazing is how you all yell at each other, like any of you have anything to do with each teams wins or loses.

I played college football in the 60's. There was great competition and teamwork back then. I was never going to play proball. But then I went to
college to get a degree. Football was just a good way to get a great education and also pound some bodies. There werenít all these backroom deals going on. Coaches and their staff didnít make millions in separate indorsement deals.

There was a sense of loyalty back then. Not an attitude of what's best for me. We played for the team.

“USC=Greatest team of BCS era!”

Since: Aug 08

Burn, baby, burn!

#20 Sep 21, 2009
John wrote:
Sark and his 5 former USC coaches know SC well. In hind sight, my expectations for Corp were overblown-- an understatement. But he was up against more than rookie jitters, in a hostile environment, playing an important conference game. He was up against an opponent who had more than his play book. They knew the mind set and nuances of the the whole program. And PC and co. had the same advantage in reverse....and better players (QB the exception). Given those facts, Sark, out coached, out strategized, and left his mentor in the dust.
Corp may well become the poster boy for the "worst USC QB" ever. But before that happens,I would Iike to know, from the coaching staff, why his receivers were so easily covered. The d-backs were all over them...double coverage! Even when Corp completed a pass the coverage was tight. Why?..... My suspensions?..... To borrow a quote from General George Patton to General Rommel after he smoked his panzers in Africa, "I read your BooK"! Sark had PC's book memorized.
SC had them on the running game because the O-line is top in the country. Sark knew that he would have to stop SC with linebacking and and a tight d-back coverage. How it worked, he probably couldn't have imagined. Tight coverage unnerved rookie Corp and a couple fumbles unnerved everybody else. Nick Holt--Bring on the 8-man line and let the momentum carry us. By the way, Nick read not only read your book, he helped write it.
For several years we have assumed that all PC has to do is re-load. Maybe this year he has to re-build. Which takes time and patience, especially for the band- wagon fans. I'd like to see Corp rebound from this and contribute. And yes, see the wunderkind live up to PC's hype. And see SC be successful THIS year. But If the Trojans lose 3 or 4 games and go to a lesser bowl, yes, that would hurt and is certainly not USC normal. But if it makes them a better team, and in PC's "win always" relentless philosophy, a quality QB emerges and a running back who can run and hold on to the ball at the same time emerges. Fight On! 2010!
Congratulation To Sark and Nick. And to PC for a mentoring job well done. No sarcasm intended, really. To Chris Polk for changing his commitment to U-DUB, great game. Yea, Redlands! And to Corp. I thought all you had to do is show up and your talent would take care of the rest. But you were working against circumstances not associated with a normal game. USC 'Pride' showcases the Trojans armed with a highly sharpened swords when entering the coliseums of college football....even Tommy Trojan is caring a sword. Hopefully Aaron, if you ever get a chance, you'll be given your sword this time.........before you enter the battle. Thanks
Excellent post, John. I agree with what you said here.
U r not so smart

Bangkok, Thailand

#21 Sep 21, 2009
And the judge said"play football for USC or go to jail".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe McKnight Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs special teams working for more happy ret... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Winter weather threat to New Jersey Super Bowl?... (Feb '13) Jan '14 Darkness Falls 2
News Raiders work out former top pick Jamaal Anderso... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Haleys Commet 2
News Jets' McKnight carted to locker room after fall (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News New York Jets planned to use Tim Tebow as runni... (Jan '13) Jul '13 Toby 13
News New York Jets - An In-Depth Look at Mike Goodson (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News New York Jets - Smith Exit Hastened Tannenbaum'... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Benched Press 4
More from around the web