USC FOOTBALL: Carroll plays blame gam...

USC FOOTBALL: Carroll plays blame game after 16-13 stunner

There are 130 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Sep 19, 2009, titled USC FOOTBALL: Carroll plays blame game after 16-13 stunner. In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

As USC coach Pete Carroll left Husky Stadium on Saturday afternoon, he could not help but say, "It feels like deja vu." The only problem was figuring out which aspect of the No.3-ranked Trojans' embarrassing 16-13 loss to Washington in front of 61,889 seemed more familiar to Carroll.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
JRLF

Reno, NV

#1 Sep 20, 2009
One of the worst USC games ever ! Practically everytime Aarron Corp threw the ball, the receiver was covered by one, two, three and even four defenders. It was like he had tunnel vision and couldn't see who was open. Why Pete Carrol didn't change quarterbacks - and use the more experienced quarterback from Arkansas - instead of the sophmore, Corp, remains a mystery. Corp was supposed to be very mobile, yet he stayed in the pocket, missed pass after pass, and hardly ever ran with the ball. Carrol was outcoached by his former offensive and defensive coordinators. It was a very sad day for the Trojans - who now need to regroup - as they did after last year's lost to an unranked team.
Henry

United States

#2 Sep 20, 2009
After watching the past two games it's pretty obvious that this USC team isn't as good as the ones from the past few seasons. I'm guessing they'll lose at least 2 or 3 more games, because the PAC-10 seems to be a conference on the rise.
paul

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Sep 20, 2009
give Mitch Mustain a chance, hes their most experienced QB at the moment
Reliever

Ontario, CA

#4 Sep 20, 2009
Simply put, Corp blew his opportunity! and why didn't Carrol bring in Mustain? At least Mitch has some experiance. I don't get it??? I have to blame Pete for this one!
shawn

United States

#5 Sep 20, 2009
Pete's to blame, he's arrogant and a lousy motivator. Why is everybody suddenly coming out of their denial? USC was out coached and out played in every way Saturday, and they simply were way overrated at #3. The good news is the players will take over and guide this mismanaged coaching coaching staff to some wins now...they are truly the best group of athletes in college football, unfortunately, their coach stinks and has let go of all the good coaches.
Longhorns three and o

Huntsville, AL

#6 Sep 20, 2009
why does usc loose on the road. this happened last year aginst oregon??
joeblue

Woodland Hills, CA

#7 Sep 20, 2009
Pete's arrogant ways have finally caught up to him play Mustain he might be the S.C savior this year or not the mighty Trojans have fallen off there high horse LOL!

“NEVER ADRIFT OR AFFLICTED”

Since: Mar 09

S Arcadia, Next to Temple City

#8 Sep 20, 2009
Too bad, the loss spoiled the day of a lot of USC freaks.
observant

Mount Vernon, WA

#9 Sep 20, 2009
Carroll is not the same without Sark.
observant

Mount Vernon, WA

#10 Sep 20, 2009
Carroll needs an offensive mind to compliment his Defensive strengths. Losing Sark has created a rift in the balance of the pac 10. He out coached Carrroll, whom I have much respect for however, the game was won on Sarks abilties to call plays and motivate!

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#11 Sep 20, 2009
JRLF wrote:
One of the worst USC games ever ! Practically everytime Aarron Corp threw the ball, the receiver was covered by one, two, three and even four defenders. It was like he had tunnel vision and couldn't see who was open. Why Pete Carrol didn't change quarterbacks - and use the more experienced quarterback from Arkansas - instead of the sophmore, Corp, remains a mystery. Corp was supposed to be very mobile, yet he stayed in the pocket, missed pass after pass, and hardly ever ran with the ball. Carrol was outcoached by his former offensive and defensive coordinators. It was a very sad day for the Trojans - who now need to regroup - as they did after last year's lost to an unranked team.
Ah no, one of the BEST games ever.

DeathValley56 Ghost

“CELL PHONE # 318-458-1492”

Since: Sep 09

TELEPHONE # - 318-686-7373

#14 Sep 20, 2009
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. Maybe for the bandwagon fans. But I'd just as well do without them. They're almost as bad as the Asians who drive around with a USC license plate frame and freak out when I flash a "V"ictory sign at them.
"What is that man doing? Why is he flashing a peace sign at me?!"
We lost to a hell of a QB and a staff that consists of 4 or 5 ex-USC coaches. Last year's 0-12 record means nothing.
We'll bounce back. The past few years we've lost to unranked teams and still took the conference.
Unlike most Bruins, I wore my Trojan shirt proudly today. Don't see too many Bruin shirts the day after a loss. Wusses.
FIGHT ON!!
Now, ya say that!!! LMAO!!! Last year's 0-12 record means nothing!!! That's not what y'all were saying after we flew 2600 miles to Seattle from Baton Rouge to beat the Huskies 31-23; and we had them 31-16 until the last play of the game. Washington scored on the last play of the game to make it 31-23. FACT!!!

So, now you say last year's 0-12 record doesn't mean anything. Why do you say that now? Because USC got their azzes kicked by last year's 0-12 team? Or, simply because it wasn't last year's 0-12 team that gave us a hard game. The only difference between LSU and USC is that we beat last year's 0-12 team; and USC didn't and couldn't beat them on that given Saturday!!!:\

PS.-LSU might've just beaten the Pac-10's best 31-23 on September 5th, 2009 when we beat the Washington Huskies 31-23; and it really could've been worse had not the Huskies scored on the last play of the game to make it closer than it was!!!:\

“NEVER ADRIFT OR AFFLICTED”

Since: Mar 09

S Arcadia, Next to Temple City

#17 Sep 20, 2009
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. Maybe for the bandwagon fans. But I'd just as well do without them. They're almost as bad as the Asians who drive around with a USC license plate frame and freak out when I flash a "V"ictory sign at them.
"What is that man doing? Why is he flashing a peace sign at me?!"
We lost to a hell of a QB and a staff that consists of 4 or 5 ex-USC coaches. Last year's 0-12 record means nothing.
We'll bounce back. The past few years we've lost to unranked teams and still took the conference.
Unlike most Bruins, I wore my Trojan shirt proudly today. Don't see too many Bruin shirts the day after a loss. Wusses.
FIGHT ON!!
I am just poking a little fun at people who get all wrapped up in sports, as if there is nothing more important in life. I do like to see the hometown teams win, but if they don't, life goes on. I always prefer to see USC or UCLA in the Rose Bowl, whipping that eastern team.
Tillamook

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Sep 21, 2009
The idea that any of you are taking shots at Carroll is just mind-boggling to me. USC had flushed all its tradition down the toilet in the 1990s with mediocre performances year after year - even losing to UCLA several years in a row (which should really never happen). Carroll restored this program and made it the premier program in college football. If Carroll ever leaves, you'll be going 8-4 again a couple years after his recruits cycle out of the program.

“USC=Greatest team of BCS era!”

Since: Aug 08

Burn, baby, burn!

#21 Sep 21, 2009
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
Until LSU gives us a home & home, it's all talk. The Buckeyes might've gotten beat two years in a row, but they had the balls to schedule it.
Exactly why I have a ton of respect for tOSU.

Burn, baby, burn!

#22 Sep 21, 2009
Trojan wrote:
I'm with you. But we're in the minority.
I tell people all the time: Good, upstanding young men first, graduation rates second, championships third.
Tillamook wrote:
The idea that any of you are taking shots at Carroll is just mind-boggling to me. USC had flushed all its tradition down the toilet in the 1990s with mediocre performances year after year - even losing to UCLA several years in a row (which should really never happen). Carroll restored this program and made it the premier program in college football. If Carroll ever leaves, you'll be going 8-4 again a couple years after his recruits cycle out of the program.
My sentiments exactly. Losing 1 or 2 games a year is FAR better than what USC was doing in the 90s, and for that, I thank PC.

I want to thank you two guys for helping me prove to some other commenters on here that their opinion of USC fans is incorrect.

FIGHT ON!
Dr Shirley

Lynwood, CA

#24 Sep 21, 2009
Pete Carroll is a great person and a excellent coach. He was not out foxed....he was not out played.
The Trogans .......lost. To the coach of Washington Huskies...you will NEVER be a thereabreed....
you will always be a "jackass". The Huskie coach did not win on his own...he STOLE the playbook
from pete Carroll's teaching.
Pete Carroll has NOTHING to be ashamed of....he will reign supreme. And the Huskies will be a
forgotten enity.

Burn, baby, burn!

#25 Sep 21, 2009
Dr Shirley wrote:
Pete Carroll is a great person and a excellent coach. He was not out foxed....he was not out played.
The Trogans .......lost. To the coach of Washington Huskies...you will NEVER be a thereabreed....
you will always be a "jackass". The Huskie coach did not win on his own...he STOLE the playbook
Pete Carroll has NOTHING to be ashamed of....he will reign supreme. And the Huskies will be a
forgotten enity.
Dude, I'm a loyal Trojan fan, and even I know this is shyt. PC made the same mistakes Tressel made in the game before. He didn't manage the clock, he didn't make correct adjustments, and he didn't adequately prepare his team. He left Corp swinging in the wind, didn't even tell him he was starting, and thus showed zero confidence in him, which translated into what we saw on the field. No excuses here. USC has to put, or we need to shut up. Simple as that.

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#26 Sep 21, 2009
Dr Shirley wrote:
forgotten enity.
Your crazy Pete blew it. bad coaching, the kid made him look bad. He made adjustments poodle boy didn't plain and simple. My god he went bcak home with 2 time outs in his pocket. He could have at least saved 2o to 30 seconds to at least try, but no he let the clock run down, Poor coaching plain and simple.

UCLA ROB

“Jackie Robinson B-4 a Dodger”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#27 Sep 21, 2009
Trojan wrote:
<quoted text>
16-13 is an @$$ kicking down in the south, huh? Interesting.
So, you think you beat the Pac-10's best? As you put it, FACT...USC has lost to middle of the field Pac-10 teams the past few years and still went on to win the Pac-10. Don't get too excited yet.
Until LSU gives us a home & home, it's all talk. The Buckeyes might've gotten beat two years in a row, but they had the balls to schedule it.
Shut the hell up condom...USC simply got their assses handed to them by an 0-12 team, period. And what hell are you talking about UCLA fans not wearing their UCLA gear after a loss?? moron, I wear mine all the time, win or lose.

Next door to me there lives a trojan fan that put up his flag and was wearing his jersey all day and within 5 minutes after the game, he removed his flag and his jersey...I was told by my neighbors across the street, I didn't see it...I was too busy having a good time watching the MIGHT BRUINS be 3-0. How do you like them apples...woossie condom.

Go Bruins!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe McKnight Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs special teams working for more happy ret... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Winter weather threat to New Jersey Super Bowl?... (Feb '13) Jan '14 Darkness Falls 2
News Raiders work out former top pick Jamaal Anderso... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Haleys Commet 2
News Jets' McKnight carted to locker room after fall (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News New York Jets planned to use Tim Tebow as runni... (Jan '13) Jul '13 Toby 13
News New York Jets - An In-Depth Look at Mike Goodson (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News New York Jets - Smith Exit Hastened Tannenbaum'... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Benched Press 4
More from around the web