USC's McCoy, Spicer could miss Emerald Bowl due to academic issues

USC tight end Anthony McCoy might be academically ineligible to play in this week's Emerald Bowl against Boston College. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jack

Simi Valley, CA

#1 Dec 21, 2009
The hits just keep on coming. This is embarrassing. How hard is it for a football player with all the academic support there is to be ineligible? SC needs to go up to the Emerald Bowl...get their tails kicked in...and END this debacle of a year.
Jack

Simi Valley, CA

#2 Dec 21, 2009
If PC allows McKnight to play they need to blow up the program and start all over. Here you have a player, C.J. Gable, who is on track to graduate, has been relegated to the bench for the year for no reason, has never bitched about the situation, and will still have to sit behind a player who has never done what he's supposed to do on the field, fumbles, is more than likely not to graduate. I thought this program was about doing the right thing and comopeting...I guess I was wrong.
UnitedStatesChin a

Chatsworth, CA

#3 Dec 21, 2009
I call BS on this one. We all know that the players at usc do not attend class. This is just a pony show for the NCAA. Look, see, we are really really in control!
Al x

Hawthorne, CA

#4 Dec 21, 2009
Jack wrote:
If PC allows McKnight to play they need to blow up the program and start all over. Here you have a player, C.J. Gable, who is on track to graduate, has been relegated to the bench for the year for no reason, has never bitched about the situation, and will still have to sit behind a player who has never done what he's supposed to do on the field, fumbles, is more than likely not to graduate. I thought this program was about doing the right thing and comopeting...I guess I was wrong.
Jack, sorry to break the news to you but SC football has never been about doing the right thing. It has and will be only about winning at all costs with academics being a secondary "necessity" that just impedes upon the valuable time of the football "student-athlete" at Figueroa Tech.

“In truth, fiction is stranger”

Since: Dec 09

San Diego de Alcala

#5 Dec 21, 2009
Football players who end up at USC are held to higher acedemic standards then many other preps who end up at many other schools.

Speaking from my own experience, however dated, some got to class and contribute, and others...need a bit of tutoring, and THAT is provided, because it's an acceptable cost of winning.

That all being said, I can't say for certain that the emphasis on getting the dipoma above all else is drilled in like it was during, say, the Tollner years...
UnitedStatesChin a

Chatsworth, CA

#6 Dec 21, 2009
El Quixotian wrote:
Football players who end up at USC are held to higher acedemic standards then many other preps who end up at many other schools.
Speaking from my own experience, however dated, some got to class and contribute, and others...need a bit of tutoring, and THAT is provided, because it's an acceptable cost of winning.
That all being said, I can't say for certain that the emphasis on getting the dipoma above all else is drilled in like it was during, say, the Tollner years...
Congrats, you have higher academic standards for atheletes than Tijuana State. Pat yourself on the back.

San Diego de Alcala

#7 Dec 21, 2009
UnitedStatesChina wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats, you have higher academic standards for atheletes than Tijuana State. Pat yourself on the back.
Um, I think that's Futbol pal, who's your team/alma mater (probably mutually exclusive?)

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Since: Aug 08

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#8 Dec 21, 2009
El Quixotian wrote:
<quoted text>
who's your team/alma mater (probably mutually exclusive?)
I've never seen any truer a statement than that.

San Diego de Alcala

#9 Dec 21, 2009
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if he's really in Chatsworth, a 'homer' would be CSUN, who hasn't gratuated a varsity football player in a LONG time...

(Just kidding real Matadors - love ya!)

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#10 Dec 21, 2009
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
whats up Bro. ready for the Holidays?
do you get the next week off?
Me golfing all next week, divorced the next :)

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#11 Dec 21, 2009
manhattan_beach_dude wrote:
<quoted text>
whats up Bro. ready for the Holidays?
Not yet, still have some shopping to do.
do you get the next week off?
Yes, but I have to use vacation days for some of the days. We get the 25th off, so I'm using 1 on the 24th. We also get the 31st and 1st off, so I'm using 3 more for the 28th through the 30th. I look forward to this time of year.
Me golfing all next week, divorced the next :)
Mrs. MBD doesn't golf, I take it. Maybe she's afraid you'll go all Tiger Woods on her. Quick, what's the difference between Santa Claus and Tiger Woods? Santa stops after 3 ho's.

“Go BRUINS ”

Manhattan Beach CA

#12 Dec 21, 2009
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not yet, still have some shopping to do.
<quoted text>
Yes, but I have to use vacation days for some of the days. We get the 25th off, so I'm using 1 on the 24th. We also get the 31st and 1st off, so I'm using 3 more for the 28th through the 30th. I look forward to this time of year.
<quoted text>
Mrs. MBD doesn't golf, I take it. Maybe she's afraid you'll go all Tiger Woods on her. Quick, what's the difference between Santa Claus and Tiger Woods? Santa stops after 3 ho's.
funny man, dam I have missed you on topix, don't stay away too long.
Me I'm lucky don't need to use any Vacation

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#13 Dec 22, 2009
<quoted text>
Me I'm lucky don't need to use any Vacation
When I worked at USC, we got the whole week off between Christmas and New Year's as a paid holiday, so it didn't come out of our vacation pay. Working for the gub'ment is whole different ball of wax.

“Go BRUINS ”

Manhattan Beach CA

#14 Dec 22, 2009
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
When I worked at USC, we got the whole week off between Christmas and New Year's as a paid holiday, so it didn't come out of our vacation pay. Working for the gub'ment is whole different ball of wax.
Ya but you get all those weird holidays off that we don't
pisses me off that folks that never served in the military get off on veterans day, and Vets like me don't, just don't seem right

“CELL PHONE # 318-458-1492”

Since: Sep 09

TELEPHONE # - 318-686-7373

#15 Dec 22, 2009
USC will lose no matter if McCoy or Spicer played or not. USC will lose no matter if McKnight made the trip or not............. LOL :|

San Diego de Alcala

#16 Dec 22, 2009
DeathValley56 Ghost wrote:
USC will lose no matter if McCoy or Spicer played or not. USC will lose no matter if McKnight made the trip or not.......... LOL :|
Still don't know what the hell a Nitany is, but those were nice folks we spent New Year's Day with last year...good fans, who knew how to lose with some dignity.

Keep it up DV, I don't have any problem rooting for Penn State over y'all.

“FIGHT ON!!!”

Welcome back, Sark!!!

#17 Dec 22, 2009
<quoted text>
Ya but you get all those weird holidays off that we don't
pisses me off that folks that never served in the military get off on veterans day, and Vets like me don't, just don't seem right
I think we had this conversation before, but it was on FB. Anyways, as I said before, I'd gladly work that extra day if, in return, I got a house in Manhattan Beach.

#18 Dec 22, 2009
El Quixotian wrote:
<quoted text>
Still don't know what the hell a Nitany is, but those were nice folks we spent New Year's Day with last year...good fans, who knew how to lose with some dignity.
Keep it up DV, I don't have any problem rooting for Penn State over y'all.
I didn't have a problem last year when USC played Penn State in the Rose Bowl either. LOL :| I pulled for Penn State, sort of like what you're gonna be doing, but to no avail, just like you're not gonna come out happy when LSU kicks Penn State's @ss in the Capital One Bowl. LMAO! But, I really do bet losing in consecutive years (2009 and 2010)........the Rose Bowl and Capital One Bowl must be a REAL BYTCH for Penn State; huh? LOL :|

San Diego de Alcala

#19 Dec 22, 2009
DeathValley56 Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't have a problem last year when USC played Penn State in the Rose Bowl either. LOL :| I pulled for Penn State, sort of like what you're gonna be doing, but to no avail, just like you're not gonna come out happy when LSU kicks Penn State's **** in the Capital One Bowl. LMAO! But, I really do bet losing in consecutive years (2009 and 2010)........the Rose Bowl and Capital One Bowl must be a REAL BYTCH for Penn State; huh? LOL :|
Don't say that...after Les leaves with all the Sabin rumors overshadowing, you're going to end up having to flip a coin between Charlery Weis and Joe Paterno.

#20 Dec 22, 2009
El Quixotian wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't say that...after Les leaves with all the Sabin rumors overshadowing, you're going to end up having to flip a coin between Charlery Weis and Joe Paterno.
Don't say that.....Paterno is older than dirt & Weis is a 'NEVER WAS'. LMAO!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe McKnight Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chiefs special teams working for more happy ret... Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Winter weather threat to New Jersey Super Bowl?... (Feb '13) Jan '14 Darkness Falls 2
Raiders work out former top pick Jamaal Anderso... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Haleys Commet 2
Jets' McKnight carted to locker room after fall (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
New York Jets planned to use Tim Tebow as runni... (Jan '13) Jul '13 Toby 13
New York Jets - An In-Depth Look at Mike Goodson (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
New York Jets - Smith Exit Hastened Tannenbaum'... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Benched Press 4
•••
•••

Joe McKnight People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••